Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:51 am 

Hello,

I am researching the biography of Nancy Corrigan. She was an entrant in the 1948 Cleveland Air Races in her AT-6 aircraft.

Nancy was born in County Mayo, Ireland in 1912. In 1929 she emigrated to Cleveland, Ohio. Over the coming years she earned her PPL, CPL, Instrument Rating and Instructor Rating. At Stephen's College, Missouri she taught young military pilots to fly the AT-6.

Between 1947 and 1951 she owned her own AT-6. In September 1948 she entered this aircraft in the Kendal Race as part of the Cleveland National Air Races. During the race she had the words "Corrigans of Cleveland" painted on the fuselage as a tribute to her sponsors. The word "EXPERIMENTAL" was also painted beneath the cockpit. It carried entry number 83.

I am trying to determine which aircraft she actually owned during those few years and entered in the 1948 races.
Unfortunately, I am unable to attach any images to this posting. Maybe someone can advise me please?

My query is......Are you aware of anyone that has compiled a listing of civilian AT-6 aircraft covering the period Nancy owned her T-6 please?, That way I can trace the history of her aircraft and its subsequent fate. From the images, and I stand to be corrected, it would appear to be a single-seat version, which I presume might be rare if they were generally regarded as a training aircraft ??

Any assistance or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

With kindest regards
Michael Traynor
Dublin
Ireland.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:22 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1822

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:01 pm 

Thank you for reply Phil.... but that link seems to be about loading and sizing photos ??

My enquiry is about Nancy Corrigan in the 1948 Cleveland Air Races...... or have I missed something in your reply ???

Michael.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:07 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

" I am unable to attach any images to this posting. Maybe someone can advise me please?"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:15 pm 

My apologies..... I was reading the linked topic looking for something about Nancy..... sorry !!!

Michael.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:52 pm 

Have you contacted the International Women's Air & Space Museum?

http://iwasm.org/

Kenn

o

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:52 am 

Good morning Kenn.
Thank you for reply.
The IWASM in 2014 dedicated a section of their museum to Nancy but they have no other records about her flying career.
I appreciate your interest.
Regards
Michael.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:32 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Is the aircraft not AT-6A NX57799?

Not much history here, but USAF s/n was 41-15915. Supposedly owned by Queen City Flying Service, Cincinnati circa 1946-47 and in Geoff Goodall's Warbirds book as "Cleveland racer #83 The Weaker Six" but noted there as piloted by Jane Hlavacek.

It does however sound like the correct a/c and its history will be available via email/mail to AFHRA at Maxwell AFB - a Google will get you there.

Photo of 'The Weaker Six' here, and it looks like the machine which Corrigan later owned:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sdasmarchives/14148431456

Also this: viewtopic.php?p=566149

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:45 am 

Hello Quemerford,

Many thanks for that reply. I was unaware of the image of the aircraft you discovered via the San Diego Air & Space Museum. I appreciate that.

Based in Ireland I was unaware of the AFHRA and I have now written to them to see if the service record for the aircraft still survives. It would be a pleasant surprise if such records exist as this was one on many thousands of AT-6's constructed and were pilot training aircraft compared to active combat machines. Thank you for that lead.

The 'X' (Experimental) in the registration was allocated after it was converted from a 2 seater military training aircraft to a single seat racing machine. As far as I can determine at this stage we are talking about the same machine.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Kindest regards
Michael.