Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:00 pm 

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4292852418001/boeing-787-dreamliner-performs-near-vertical-takeoff/?#sp=show-clips

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:20 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Seen that earlier. Heck of an initial climb out. Interesting wing shape too. Kinda has a gullwing angle to it from the front view. The top view of the wings looks like a skinny pterodactyl shape.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:25 am 

Most airliners are pretty spritely when empty. A B-52 is too. Even a Cessan 152 on occasion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8NPc7NNZYo

They don't fly empty when they are making money, and don't perform anything NEAR what you see in the clip. But it's a great advertisement for the plane. If they did that on a paying flight, you can bet there would be a lot of money recovered from emotional trauma ... not because they were traumatized, but because they could sue and win in court.

In the old days, almost everyone had been upside down in the State Fair Carnival rides, but they never got sued. Today you can sue when you drop coffee on your own crotch. It makes you want to stop doing business, attack something legally, and retire with your lawyer friends when the idiots award you millions for nothing much except a well-worded legal brief.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:03 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Greg, while I tend to agree with the substance of your argument - that people would no doubt lose their collective minds if an airliner actually did this with paying passengers aboard - I take strong issue with your comments about "spilling coffee in your crotch" in a direct reference to the McDonalds case of Stella Liebeck.

I'm not going to post any pictures of the horrific injuries suffered by Mrs. Liebeck because they are far too gruesome to share on this board, especially considering the area which was effectively destroyed by the nearly boiling coffee, but here is a written description of the incident. I hope you take the time to read it and understand that this was not a crass money grab on the part of some lazy schmuck, as is so often portrayed - this woman was grievously injured, and even with that, initially sought only enough to cover her medical expenses which McDonalds flatly rejected.

Link to full description: http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

Text extract:

Stella Liebeck of Albuquerque, New Mexico, was in the passenger seat of her grandson's car when she was severely burned by McDonalds' coffee in February 1992. Liebeck, 79 at the time, ordered coffee that was served in a styrofoam cup at the drivethrough window of a local McDonalds.

After receiving the order, the grandson pulled his car forward and stopped momentarily so that Liebeck could add cream and sugar to her coffee. (Critics of civil justice, who have pounced on this case, often charge that Liebeck was driving the car or that the vehicle was in motion when she spilled the coffee; neither is true.) Liebeck placed the cup between her knees and attempted to remove the plastic lid from the cup. As she removed the lid, the entire contents of the cup spilled into her lap.

The sweatpants Liebeck was wearing absorbed the coffee and held it next to her skin. A vascular surgeon determined that Liebeck suffered full thickness burns (or third-degree burns) over 6 percent of her body, including her inner thighs, perineum, buttocks, and genital and groin areas. She was hospitalized for eight days, during which time she underwent skin grafting. Liebeck, who also underwent debridement treatments, sought to settle her claim for $20,000, but McDonalds refused.

During discovery, McDonalds produced documents showing more than 700 claims by people burned by its coffee between 1982 and 1992. Some claims involved third-degree burns substantially similar to Liebecks. This history documented McDonalds' knowledge about the extent and nature of this hazard.

So again, not disagreeing with your basic point - people will often sue over the dumbest s#|t as we all know - but the "Coffee Crotch" case was absolutely and fully justified. What that poor woman went through, first with the injuries and then having her name dragged through the mud the rest of her life as though she were some kind of money-grabbing grifter is just terribly sad.

Lynn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I get worried when people use the term "civic justice". :)

Usually, it's personal injury lawyer-speak for "open season". :) :)

When I was a reporter, I interviewed the county chairman of a well-known national political party about party business. He was a PI attorney and we were chatting while waiting for the cameras to get set up. Like Lynn, he gave a stirring defense of the McDonald's case. Then he blew his reputation by telling me about another case he was pursuing. He was suing a auto company on behalf of a client who was killed in a truck roll over. Of course the driver was drunk and the neither passenger were wearing seatbelts...but he thought the dead man's family needed some compensation. It didn't seem to matter from whom.

Yes, injury lawsuits have a place, but like anything else, they're abused...leading to many attorneys (and their clients) being defamed in the court of public opinion.
I rest my case. :)

And since this is an aviation forum, let's remember that similar lawsuits killed the general aviation industry for a decade until Pres. Clinton signed the GA revitalization bill I the early 90s.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:44 am 

This is no place for legal comments about a non-aviation incident. Grow up please and stick with the script.

Now that the Mexican Air Force operates a B787 for VIP I guess it is a "warbird"..

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:42 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Assuming it still has the interior fitted for show, with no paypoad and minimum fuel it's running over 100,000kg lighter that MTOW.
If they stripped the seats and such out for demo flights then you can deduct a little more.

Nothing like a quarter of a million pounds of excess lift to make for an impressive climb<G>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:46 pm 

Okay all these high performance maneuvers, but when will we see the Big Barrel Roll :supz: