Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Reno tickets
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:28 pm 
KiwiZac

That's nice to hear. It was so far from stock I guess it really can't compare to some of the Mustangs and Furies. I'm planning to do a small-scale model of her and I always enjoy seeing photos like that one. Thanks!

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:37 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

P-51A racing.... :o

Phil

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:54 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Zac, don't forget that it won in 1985 (I think that was the year). Dreadnought was just a smidgen faster, but was overheating and the pilot made a mental mistake -- The Super Corsair ran right with Dread for the whole race. Both of these airplanes broke the old record -- which meant they were running faster than ANY Mustang, Sea Fury or Bearcat had ever run before that day.

Nothing to sneeze at there.

The others had more potential, though. Dread, Dago, Rare Bear, Strega, and others just kept going faster and faster and that fat Corsair wing had just hit a wall. But nobody can take that race on that day away from her.

---Wingman Photo---

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:01 pm 

I "stopped by" for qualifying. The best bargain in aviation.. 10 bucks for a pit pass. The right crowd, and no crowding, as they say. left this morning. Going to Red Bull Global Rallycross in Seattle on Saturday. Just couldn't deal with Voodoo all alone with no competition.

Neil, you asked about Voodoo and how they were crewing it. My impression is that Stevo is doing it all himself this year. He has a couple of helpers, but he ran Monday afternoon (not real hard, but hard enough to sound bitchen) and spent pretty much all day Tuesday tinkering on it.

The field is thin and time will tell if this is the beginning of the end, or just transition. It would only take a couple of big spenders to make things interesting again.

As i walked away from Voodoo and turned left a couple rows down, there was 924, Dreadnought and Argo on the left, with Sawbones on the right, and a couple of Mustangs further down. I thought, man, if this don't get your juices flowing, nothing will. I know mine were. I sure hope things get going again. I will sure go back!

The top three or four Sport Class planes are pretty exciting to watch when they turn the wick up. But the future of air racing is not a bunch of RV-8s spudding around the pylons. About as exciting as watching paint dry at the new Walmart.

Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled. “

– Michael Crichton

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:19 pm 
KiwiZac

Great photos Neal, thanks heaps for sharing! Likewise your memories - my comment was more about the need for drastic changes to make a Corsair competitive (and, presumably, far too expensive/rare an airframe to try again), rather than implying Super Corsair was a no-hoper.

phil65 wrote:
P-51A racing.... :o

I may need to buy the DVD of this year's event, if only to see that! The only two results online for Mrs Virginia so far (Monday and Tuesday) show 356mph lap speed and around 1m21s lap time.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:59 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

That A model has raced before, and was a pleasure to watch and hear back then. Boy that was a long time ago...

Zac -- that 356 mph is almost certainly about all you're going to see. It's a pretty precious airplane, and is there mostly as something to fill out the field a bit. I'm quite sure they have no intention of beating on it.

I do wish I was there to hear it run again.

---Wingman Photo---

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:08 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Rob -- you should have seen the late 1980s, when there would be 30-35 airplanes there, and for the slower airplanes there was a real concern that after spending all that money and effort to get to Reno you would not get to race because you didn't make the cut. Now that was a sight.

---Wingman Photo---

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:29 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Neal Nurmi wrote:
Rob -- you should have seen the late 1980s, when there would be 30-35 airplanes there, and for the slower airplanes there was a real concern that after spending all that money and effort to get to Reno you would not get to race because you didn't make the cut. Now that was a sight.
The had consolation races for them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:34 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Neal Nurmi wrote:
Yes it did. It was big, loud, smoky and went fast. It was the eternal underdog -- big and chunky next to the sleek Dreadnought, Strega and Dago Red, but on a good day could run with any of them, and outlast the Mustangs.

A solid 3rd place finisher that always flew home on Monday.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:02 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

bdk wrote:
Neal Nurmi wrote:
Yes it did. It was big, loud, smoky and went fast. It was the eternal underdog -- big and chunky next to the sleek Dreadnought, Strega and Dago Red, but on a good day could run with any of them, and outlast the Mustangs.

I did love that airplane. It gave me a lot of pleasure (and great photographs) over the years.

---Wingman Photo---

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:46 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

In Reno... :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:32 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Enjoy, and post some impressions here. Take a moment to go down to visit with the Formula 1 folks down at the West end of the ramp. Serious racers and good energy down there this year, I hear.

---Wingman Photo---

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:41 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Neal Nurmi wrote:

I did love that airplane. It gave me a lot of pleasure (and great photographs) over the years.

The Super Corsair was a lot of fun out at the pylons. Nothing else left a wake like it! You could hear the air ripping 15 seconds after it passed. A Mustang left virtually no wake after it passed by comparison.

Last edited by bdk on Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:55 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

What plane # are you with ?

Great day today... :D

Thanks,
Phil

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:27 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Me? I'm not there this year. Just sitting on the edge of my seat watching results on the internet.

Glad it's a good one so far -- it'll only get better. Reno is still one of aviation's great events.

---Wingman Photo---

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next