Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:26 pm 

See this thread

https://a2asimulations.com/forum/vie...p?f=23&t=69927

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:50 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thank you for sharing!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:13 pm 

Board index
Information
The requested page could not be found.

:(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:32 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

There's a "..." in the URL as posted that makes it not work.

I figured out the correct full URL: https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewto ... 23&t=69927

If you get a "handshake failed" or similar message when you click this link, just go to your URL bar and press ENTER, then it should load the page.

I'm downloading the plane now. Looking forward to trying it out.

August

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:05 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Just a follow-up on this for those of you who are simmers but have not yet downloaded this freebie. I have put a couple of hours of circuits and bumps on it in P3Dv4, and have some thoughts.

Broadly, it's a really good plane, and a legit $50 giveaway, so you should get it if you have P3Dv4. It's detailed, good-looking, and challenging to fly. A2A's philosophy is to give you very little in terms of automated options. You will be forced to learn quite a bit about P-40 systems and procedures in order to fly it.

The handling is demanding relative to other warbirds I have for P3D. They have chosen to model strong torque effects and require very gentle touchdowns to not break the plane. I don't know if this is "accurate" or not, it's always somewhat subjective, but most other fighters in the sim will feel like J-3s once you have learned to handle this plane well. There is no tailwheel lock, which appears to be authentic, and makes for some pretty hairy crosswind takeoffs and landings.

The plane comes with A2A's Accu-Sim feature which is new to me, and although it has a slightly gimmicky quality, I do like it. Part of it is just that it models all the internal systems and forces you to pay attention to them. The other thing is that it gives you a "persistent" airplane from session to session. That means you get one P-40, and the state of it is saved when you quit the sim, and when you play it again days or weeks later, it will still be in that state. If you didn't top up the fuel and fluids, they won't be topped up. If you fouled the plugs, they'll start fouled and maybe get worse. If you bent something on the last landing, it will still be bent. There is a maintenance hangar where you can inspect and fix what's wrong and zero-time the engine, and if you have gone straight in and wadded it up beyond repair, it will basically rebuild it for you, but it's still the same airplane, with a running tally of logged hours. Luckily, the maint window doesn't charge you for the repairs. My P-40 is certainly now a data-plate restoration after some hard crashes, and I'd hate to see what the rebuild invoice would look like. There should be a cutscene of a guy who looks like Matt Nightingale handing you the bill.

To be more exact, you get 6 different P-40s, because each color scheme is a different entry in your airplane list, and each has its own history and status. Over time, each may start to behave a little differently from the others as systems get worn or just randomly wander out of spec. This helps give you a feeling of familiarity and a duty of care toward your airplane, and it even partly transfers into your attitude toward your other P3D airplanes that always start brand new no matter how you abused them last session.

The one drawback with the aircraft so far is that it introduces a whole new set of key mappings for the new control features it needs to model. Some of these are not customizable, at least not through the UI, and likely step on your preferred key assignments. There is a toggle to switch them all off, but they are needed to operate the plane, so you have to keep switching between your usual P3D key assignments and A2A's within a flight.

Anyhow, if A2A's ultimate goal here was to get me interested in actually buying their Accu-sim P-51D, they succeeded. There's no good freeware P-51 for P3Dv4 yet, and I'm sure this is a good one as well.

August

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:04 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The keys you can't bind within the sim are mapped via the A2A Input Manager for the P-40 so you can set them so they don't step on each other.

There is also an addon called LINDA which allows you to map various aircraft in a more "unified" way should you choose. There are profiles with LINDA for all A2A aircraft and most major addon aircraft available as well. I've not been a big LINDA user, but there are people who swear by it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:11 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

CAPFlyer wrote:
The keys you can't bind within the sim are mapped via the A2A Input Manager for the P-40 so you can set them so they don't step on each other.

Yes and no. The app does not allow for the reconfiguration of all of the P-40 controls and it is also limited in what inputs it will accept for the ones it does allow. I was not able to avoid it stepping on my mappings other than by setting a toggle for it.

This is the first aircraft I have had to do this with, and I have a pretty consistent set of keys mapped without needing LINDA or any FSUIPC-based prdouct. In fact, I maintain consistent key mappings not just across aircraft in P3D, but across simulators (IL-2 1946, IL-2 GB, CFS3, Rise of Flight), to the extent possible. So it bugs me a little that the plane won't play nice, but it's not a big deal.

August

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:43 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Sorry to hear you weren't able to get it to work without conflict.

Personally, I've always used FSUIPC and had a paid license since the option was there because my control setup lends itself to it (I have several inputs and like to use different setups based on whether I'm flying GA, Commercial, or Military), but I also understand those who don't want to spend the time to do the setup.

I do understand the desire to keep it constant between sims too. Unfortunately, with aircraft like A2A's products which do much more than the base sim does, it causes issues in ways. A2A isn't unique, PMDG has these issues too as do most of the "study level" add-ons, and I guess I just take it as a given and either work-around it or just not worry about it and use alternate methods because I accept these issues to be part of doing something these programs weren't initially designed to cover.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:20 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Like I said, it isn't a big deal. This plane is more than worth making a few adjustments for. The only function that really requires a non-standard key is the hydraulic pump that drives the gear and flaps. You can judge my disappointment level by the fact that last night I willingly spooned out full price for the Accu-Sim P-51D, feeling that I wanted to reward A2A for the gift, and $25 for each of these two ships is still a great deal.

I found a few extra skins for the P-51D online. Actually I'm up to 80 installed so far. And still looking for Upupa Epops, Little Rebel and Sierra Sue II. A very nice plane but more automated than the P-40B and doesn't require any special mappings. I don't see too much to choose between this and the P-51D in IL-2 Battle of Bodenplatte, except for the ability to fly it in the modern world.

I will be making a post in the simulator section of this forum soon that I think you might like.

August

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:44 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I think those 2 are probably the only modern restorations that haven't had repaints done.