Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:52 pm 

Those are some great photos. Here are a couple from my collection of Vought photos

This is Paul Thayer who at the time I believe was President of Vought and later became Chairman and CEO. He is also the one that crashed the CAF's FG-1D Corsair when he took it for a test flight right after Vought restored it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:10 pm 

Thanks Connery for those images. The F7U-3 overhead view is interesting in that the canopy and frame is the bulb nosed version and not the one normally seen with the revised nose contours. Can you read the BuNo on your original images?

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:34 pm 

No, I can't read it on my original scan either. Unfortunately all of my photos are currently in storage since I had to move into a little one bedroom apartment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:50 pm 

Greetings All -

First off, I'll add one more of the F7U-1 on the Vought ramp - there's Globe Swifts, Corsairs and C-54s (being converted back to civilian guise). Quite a variety of projects going on in the same space to keep business and the work force going.

Next. I'll step back in time to the beginning of Vought and the VE-7, Vought's first production aircraft.

and the VE-7 being one of the early aircraft operated off of the Navy's first carrier, the USS Langley...

And one image of the first Corsair...

Now back to the "normal" sequence of things. The Regulus I was initially nuclear tipped cruise missile for use off a select number of cruisers and submarines. After the withdrawal of the Regulus I as a cruise missile, many were converted to target drones. My Father flew for VU-1 out of NAS Barbers Point on Oahu, Hawaii and one of his assigned missions was as a drone controller flying a DF-8A Crsudaer and guiding the Regulus I from its launch at Barking Sands out to where it was used in fleet exercises. The red Regulus I is a fleet training missile and is seen on the deck of the USS Hornet - these were launched using this cart off of the catapult. Cruiser, sub and drone launches were accomplished with RATO bottles mounted along the sides aft of the wing (note it is a tailless aircraft). The blue Regulus I is a former nuke armed missile - the deeper chin under the inlet is how to tell the "one way" missiles from the FTM missiles which had landing gear for potential landing and reuse.

Here's a photo from the photos my Father had and shows one of VU-1s F-8As along with a "one way" Regulus I which also flew on the missions as a shooter should the missile do something stupid or not be destroyed during the exercise (which apparently was rather often). The certificate is from Vought for those who passed the training....

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Mark,

Love this stuff! I recently read the Wings or Airpower magazine article on the Regulus test program. If you don't have the article I would gladly scan it for you.

Thanks for posting your father's Regulus Pilot Certificate.
Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:17 pm 

Thanks Scott - I have it already. There's an excellent book too on the Regulus I though it's probably pretty rare nowadays. I'll do a search tonight and post the results if I find any available.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:47 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Then:

Mark Nankivil wrote:

Now (replica):

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:42 pm 

How can I get the history of a particular Regulus I missile? I did some restoration work on a Regulus I which now resides at a museum in Charlotte, NC. All I remember is that it was an FTM , #89. "Ship no. #89" was written on the carry-through spar in large, beautiful handwriting.
The book about the Regulus is by David K. Stumpf. I have a copy.
#89 had landing gear (removed) and was sitting on the carrier launch rig.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:57 am 

Hi Cubs -

Check your PM - I sent some info to you.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:34 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Great stuff Mark. MORE! Sorry but the Corsair with tip tanks just ruin the looks of one of the most distinctive aircraft ever.
Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:50 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Okay, dinner's over and back to airplanes. Several questions for anybody who can answer.

On the Seawolf. When did the XTBU-1, Vought design change to TBY-1, a Consolidated designation?

On the OS2U landing pictures, is the cable ahead of the aircraft and the contraption on the surface the rigging for a "cast landing?" I heard some tales about that procedure while doing research for the battleship TEXAS restoration 18-20 years ago. Even published one story about a botched OS2U recovery by that ship.

Dash 5N Corsairs! Lone Star thanks you.

That corncob powered test job made out of the XTBU was a wild looking ride! Whatever became of it?

In the F7U sequence, what is the twin prop job the Cutlass is fueling from?
Doug

Post subject: AJ
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:50 pm 

Quote:
In the F7U sequence, what is the twin prop job the Cutlass is fueling from?

That's a North American AJ Savage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:47 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

what a great collection! funny, I really likethe way the Cutlass started out - the lines just look a lot cleaner to me. I can understand the visability issue but the look suffers I think. . . .

Tom P.

Post subject: Vought
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:38 pm 

Why are the pics removed ?

TASSE.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:32 pm 

Mark Nankivil wrote:
Greetings All -

Next in line of the Vought fighters is the F7U Cutlass. The F7U-1 and the later and more developed F7U-3 are considerably different beasts as you can see. There's an excellent new book titled "U.S. NAVAL AIR SUPERIORITY: Development of Shipborne Jet Fighters 1943-1962" that notes the F7U-3 would likely have had a far better reputation if it had not been for its engines (true for about every Navy jet fighter of that time period) and the straight deck environment aboard carrier. The angled deck simply came too late for the Cutlass. All the same, I find it an impressive aircraft and when you get up next to one (Pensacola and Tom Catchcart's machine out in Seattle come to mind), it really is a beaut of brute.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

and the rather rare F7U-3P...

Great shot of the F7U-3P Photo-Cutlass Mark. Do you have any shots that show the overwing photoflash ejector racks installed? I am trying to add them to my 1/72 model of the F7U-3P, and I can't find any references.

Larry

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next