Switch to full style
This section will be used as a repository for the picture rich posts that occasionally occur.
Post a reply

Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:06 pm

Mortmer,

This thread is fantastic!

I would love to see photos of ground installations, targets, Squadron artwork or anything you have to offer. I, personally, am especially interested in the surroundings of the air and ground crews at their operational bases.

There are so many tons of photos and memorabilia that have been and will be lost for all time that I welcome anything that comes to light.

Scott

Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:39 pm

Yes, post all you can stomach! :lol:

I sent this thread to the guy at the Toons at War blog. He'll dig the Dwarf artwork.

check it out. He has a killer blog... http://toonsatwar.blogspot.com/

Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:55 pm

OK, but, if I post it all this will be a huge thread. ;)

Seriously. I will post the interesting bits and when I have a web site up I will include a link to that.

I am scanning everything I have and hoping to eventually get to borrow the other 1/2 of the collection so I can do the same with that.

As stated earlier, if you want a high res scan of anything I post now (or later on the website) let me know. Same goes for detail scans.

I feel the same way about the fact that so much of this has been lost so, I'm going to do anything I can to preserve this.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:27 pm

Well I know you have a few fans in Camarillo my boy!!!!!!!

Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:50 pm

The Inspector wrote:By all means, please post everything you have, it all fits in somewhere in the grand scheme.
It's great to see so many detail pictures of D-1's and the goofy tail position which helps me in building a D model B-25.
This post also helps expand the coverage of VMB's in the SWPA a very under documented part of the overall grand scheme in the Pacific-
Thank you for taking the time!!! :D :D :D :wink: :wink:

First, I agree...post everything you have! Second, THANKS for these photos of my father's sister squadron. I have a good history of VMB 611, know a little history of VMB 423, 433, 613, MAG 32 and MAG 61...and third, agree that the Marine Bombing Squadrons' contributions in the Pacific and Philippine Islands is very under documented. Keep them coming!!

BTW, the sixth photo of your first post also is in Alan Carey's Leatherneck Bombers courtesy of Henry Sory.

Dave

Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:24 am

Make it a sticky then, look at all the hits Diamond Lil and Armyjunk have on their stickys and your stuff is just as interesting and fascinating-

BRING IT!!!!!!!!

Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:02 pm

Just an update.

After looking at some of the scans and some of the pictures side by side I decided that the resolution on the sans was not good enough. So, I am starting over with a much higher resolution. This produces larger, more detailed files but takes much longer. I feel that due to the subject, and the interest it is the best course for me to take.

I will add new pictures to this thread when I get back to work next week.

Sorry for the delay.

Paul

Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:03 pm

Paul,

Can't thank you enough and I'll be looking forward to the higher resolution scans! I'll be interested to see the name painted on one of the PBJ's pictured in the scrap-heap. I've forwarded the link to my Dad and he's really enjoying the photographs.

I'm in the process of comparing mission dates and aircraft with Dad's logbook and will report back later. I'll also post a squadron personnel photograph which very well may have been taken by Mr. Kern.

Can you provide more information on Mr. Kern's background and any memories he may have of that time?

Again - tremendous thanks!

Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:23 pm

The scrap heap pictures were some of the ones that made me realize the scans weren't good enough. <G> I'll do the best I can with them and if you need close ups from any pictures I'd be more than happy to accommodate any requests.

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to talk to him before he passed a few years ago. Everyone in the family knows I love this stuff but for some reason never mentioned what he did! :x

I did look an the VMB433.com website and wasn't able to find his name listed so, I looked at his orders which are earlier in this thread that appear to attach him to HQ MAG 61. As I've mentioned before, there is more material in the family, when I'm done with this batch I will do some arm twisting to get the rest which might clear up some of the questions.

1/5th recanned so far...

Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:51 pm

Mortmer wrote:I did look an the VMB433.com website and wasn't able to find his name listed so, I looked at his orders which are earlier in this thread that appear to attach him to HQ MAG 61.

Not sure if you are aware, but MAG 61 also has a web site: http://www.mag61.org - Stu Allen is the webmaster and may be able to help. My wife and I attended their reunion this past May, held at Quantico Marine Base.

S/F

Dave

Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:04 am

I wasn't aware of the website about MAG 61 and will be contacting them soon. Thanks!

On with the pictures, please note, these are JPGs converted from the 600DPI TIFFs, I haven't corrected these at all -

Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:07 am

Pictures around camp -

Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:23 am

Cool, a visit from Carole Landis! 8)

Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:29 am

More pictures from around camp. If anyone can ID a specific camp, please drop me a PM as most of the pictures aren't IDed -

Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:37 am

More plane related pictures -

Post a reply