Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Field of Dreams
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:39 am 

Here are some shots of the 'boneyard' at the Abbotsford airport here in British Columbia. I was there to pick up the First Air Hercules from Cascade Aviation on November 27th this year. I believe one of these trackers is ear marked for a Museum although I do not know which one that would be. Enjoy!

Post subject: Re: Field of Dreams
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

what is the disposition of these planes?? blow torch?? they are clearly not mothballed!! tons of trackers!! wow!! beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... i always thought the tracker had nice lines.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:07 am 

As far as I know Tom these aircraft are Conair's spare parts fleet or used as basis for their Turbo-Tracker firebomber conversions. You don't find many fields like this in Canada!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:19 pm 

I'd like to use 573 as my executive transport, you think you can arrange that? :)

Rich

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:40 am 

some of those birds are looking decidedly green!

Ill take the DC thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It seems that under the right circumstances, many of these Trackers have the chance of being saved. I would love to bring back one of those for our museum her in CT. Anyone know roughly how much it would cost for 4 to 5 individuals to rent the necessary equipment to dismantle and transport a plane like that across a continent and through 1 border? This is of course assuming that the 4 to 5 individuals are there volunteering and are only paying for the essentials such as hotel, room, truck rental, gas, etc.

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:51 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Chris,
Id say thousands of dollars to be able to do this. That is of course the plane is donated with no payment or tax. You'd have to ship it back on a c5a or something that would be willing to do it. I guess thats why millionars have these planes and not us!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:59 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Hey guys,

yeah, all those trackers belong to Conair. In talking with them, they absolutely love the Tracker and absolutely no intention of retiring any of them. They'll just keep using their extra airframes for parts, and new rebuilds as required forever. I'm not lying; that's what they've told me in the past.

My museum has tried in the past to request a donation of a Tracker from them, but it's not easy. They want to keep them all, as eventually they will need them all.

As for their turbo-prop conversions; they do a few for some european customers, but none recently that I know of. The turbos are less effective in British Columbia because of the "Need power NOW" theory. They're very happy with the radials they came with.

It is interesting though that they have them sit unprotected as they are. I wonder why they don't pave that entire area and have the area covered with a large temporary tent. I'm sure there must be some corrosion occuring on some of the airframes.

As you may have noticed, some of the Trackers are ex-RCAF and some are ex-USN. The difference being the length of the fuselage.

Anyways, if you're looking to contact them their website is: www.conair.ca

Peace,

David M