Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Yanks Air Museum
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:24 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

An extensive museum, with some very friendly people and superb restorations.

Post subject: Re: Yanks Air Museum
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:26 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:52 pm 

Very nice, and very excellent photography. Thanks for sharing them with us. :drink3:

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:04 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Great pictures! What's the story with the Ryan B-1...? Is it real or a replica and is it flyable? Beautiful plane. That Curtiss Robin is nice as well...

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:46 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The Ryan Brougham B-1 is an original, and is said to be the only one in airworthy condition (but not flown). According to the information presented by Yanks, the aircraft was purchased out of Alaska in the late 70's, where it had been operating as a bush plane. The only other example in original form currently on display, is a B-5 at the San Diego Air & Space Museum. Scott Gifford (NostalgAire) reportedly has two Brougham airframes, one of which was modified and used by MGM in 1927 to transport their famous 'Leo' the lion - he is said to be restoring both to airworthy.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:54 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The "baka" bomb seen in the last photo is the same one that Earl Reinert owned, and the story goes that when Yanks was interested in purchasing the YP-47M from Reinert, he wouldn't let it go unless Yanks also took the "baka" bomb, as Reinert insisted that Yanks be the one to have it and restore/preserve it properly. It was originally recovered from Okinawa, and the guy I was traveling with commented that he has a photo of his dad standing in front of one on Okinawa in 1945, marked as I-13.

The Thomas-Morse Scout is I believe the latest restoration to be finished/added to the collection. We were told that the Museum's P-51D is flown, but that it currently is waiting for a new radiator (it was parked next to the hangar doors in the restoration section). The 12-A Electra, which I've also heard is flown on the occasion, was also parked nearest the hangar door (and must have been outside, as it was covered in a fine layer of sand from the Santa Ana winds that were gusting 60 mph the day we were there).

Yanks' master woodworker, Tony Fukahara, does incredible work. I had seen an article a few years back about his work on the restoration of the Thomas-Morse Scout, and while we were there he was working on the Waco Glider. He has built brand new wings for it, and they are gorgeous. We were told that the wooden seat boxes, where the troops would sit, are new-old-stock, and they look brand new! If I recall correctly, I believe we were told that this particular Waco Glider project is the combination of the remains of three separate examples, and it sounds like it has been a very long-term project, with a lot of different people involved with it over the years. If you've never seen one up-close, I think you'd be surprised at just how big of an aircraft it is - comparable to the size of a B-25.

It was great talking to Frank Wright, the Museum docents, and the restoration experts.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:27 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

JohnTerrell wrote:
The Ryan Brougham B-1 is an original, and is said to be the only one in airworthy condition (but not flown). According to the information presented by Yanks, the aircraft was purchased out of Alaska in the late 70's, where it had been operating as a bush plane. The only other example in original form currently on display, is a B-5 at the San Diego Air & Space Museum. Scott Gifford (NostalgAire) reportedly has two Brougham airframes, one of which was modified and used by MGM in 1927 to transport their famous 'Leo' the lion - he is said to be restoring both to airworthy.

I believe the MGM Ryan was noting more than a twisted fuselage frame. That would be tough to "restore" but maybe they have more. Of course there are the other B-1's that have been modified into NYP look-a-likes for the movie. Anyway, that Yanks B-1 is beautiful. I'd like to get a look inside her...