Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Approaching WWII Vets?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:05 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

While my wife and I were walking the dog the other day, we took a different route than usual and I noticed a mini van with a WWII veteran decal on the back window. I'm curious what he did in the war and I'd love to ask him a few questions. Should I? Do I knock on the door? Do I send a letter with my phone number? I would be hesitant to even bother him, but he put the decal on his car, so that would indicate to me at least that he is somewhat open about his experiences. Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:14 pm 

my father in law has his "Air Force Vetran" hat on at all times, and loves talking about his experiences with those who come up and ask.

B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:44 pm 
I've had both positive and negative reactions I have to say. If it were me, I'd leave a note in the mailboz with a phone number, make the first approach that way.

The positive experience was when I spoke to WW2 USN and USMC vets that have settled in my local town of Brisbane Australia. In May I spoke to a USMC vet who was here during the Battle of the Coral sea, facinating stuff, brilliant insight into what life was like.

I'd rather learn about day to day life in the 1940's than tactics or weaponry (within reason :lol: )

The negative was when I spoke to a 1950's USAF SAC vet . He was a military police vet actually, who told me quote " I shouldn't be interested in things I know nothing about"

Read into that what you will !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:11 pm 
Aerial Pirate

west-front wrote:
He was a military police vet actually, who told me quote " I shouldn't be interested in things I know nothing about"

Read into that what you will !!

So should we just stop learning and forget the past, I don't think so.

We must limit politicians to two terms:
one in office and one in jail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:40 pm 
Exactly.

I'm not sure what his issue was, perhaps he was scared as a child by an Australian...(only kidding !!!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

i've never had the guts to ask my 91 year old dad if he knows if he killed anybody while being an infantry rifle company commander in new guinea, morotai & mindanoa, & while my kids have a healthy interest in ww 2 history ( which is great!!) i have forbidden them to ask that question even though i've wondered myself. if my old man wants to divulge that, then that will come from him. he has spoken plenty of his combat experiences, & i have his files, newspaper clippings etc, & it documents plenty. i'd bet he did take the enemy's life or lives from the accounts of reading his stuff & his great memory, but to flat ass ask him if he knows if he killed someone is pushing the envelope. not all veterans sling a gun & a pack, man a defensive position on a ship or vehicle, but all are surrounded by death regardless if they sling sh*t on a shingle or work quartermaster or count bullets. i can relate to 1's curiosity but it must be approached delicately so as not to piss off or re-surface old bad thoughts. were all human beings with feelings, & while not a veteran i respect their heart & courage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:04 pm 
Aerial Pirate

tom d. friedman wrote:
i've never had the guts to ask my 91 year old dad if he knows if he killed anybody while being an infantry rifle company commander in new guinea, morotai & mindanoa, & while my kids have a healthy interest in ww 2 history ( which is great!!) i have forbidden them to ask that question even though i've wondered myself. if my old man wants to divulge that, then that will come from him. he has spoken plenty of his combat experiences, & i have his files, newspaper clippings etc, & it documents plenty. i'd bet he did take the enemy's life or lives from the accounts of reading his stuff & his great memory, but to flat ass ask him if he knows if he killed someone is pushing the envelope. not all veterans sling a gun & a pack, man a defensive position on a ship or vehicle, but all are surrounded by death regardless if they sling sh*t on a shingle or work quartermaster or count bullets. i can relate to 1's curiosity but it must be approached delicately so as not to piss off or re-surface old bad thoughts. were all human beings with feelings, & while not a veteran i respect their heart & courage.

Tom,

I only replied to his comment, I meant no disrespect by meaning to pry into their business. I've thanked many a veteran for their service, all actions, and have never asked them about what they did. Some have brought up wartime subjects, others don't. I had a friend in the Veterans Home in Yountville, Ca for many years that my wife and I visited regularly until he passed away. We had plenty of things to chat about (he was close to 90 years old) without digging into his military times, which he did speak about when he was in the mood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:02 am 
tom d. friedman wrote:
i can relate to 1's curiosity but it must be approached delicately so as not to piss off or re-surface old bad thoughts. were all human beings with feelings, & while not a veteran i respect their heart & courage.

I think its safe to say most people who are interested in such a topic would have the descretion to ask appropriate questions ?.

I'm not sure how you jump from asking about ones service to "did you ever kill anyone" unless your a shock jock radio announcer, or a newspaper reporter after sensational by-line......

I have spoken to a Luftwaffe veteran who spoke about his experiences over a 2-3 year period to me , but at one incident at a time. One time it might be as complex as " B-17's are hard to shoot down you know", then he said onetime that Hans Marseille was a great bloke to be around. I respected the blokes personal thoughts.

I was told a story onetime by the younger brother of a WW2 Australian servicemen, who tore a petrol generator apart physically in rage because the sound reminded him of the Japanese woodpecker machine gun.

PTSD can be be supressed and brought back by any number of factors as you would know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:03 am 
tom d. friedman wrote:
i can relate to 1's curiosity but it must be approached delicately so as not to piss off or re-surface old bad thoughts. were all human beings with feelings, & while not a veteran i respect their heart & courage.

I think its safe to say most people who are interested in such a topic would have the descretion to ask appropriate questions ?.

I'm not sure how you jump from asking about ones service to "did you ever kill anyone" unless your a shock jock radio announcer, or a newspaper reporter after sensational by-line......

I have spoken to a Luftwaffe veteran who spoke about his experiences over a 2-3 year period to me , but at one incident at a time. One time it might be as complex as " B-17's are hard to shoot down you know", then he said onetime that Hans Marseille was a great bloke to be around. I respected the blokes personal thoughts.

I was told a story onetime by the younger brother of a WW2 Australian servicemen, who tore a petrol generator apart physically in rage because the sound reminded him of the Japanese woodpecker machine gun.

PTSD can be be supressed and brought back by any number of factors as you would know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

roger, i have no beefs with you, i'm at the same curiosity level as you are, i was just trying to convey the lack of latitude & consideration some people have when talking to vets regarding their experiences. were on the same page friend, didn't mean to sound a little terse in my thread reply, my apologies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:51 pm 
tom d. friedman wrote:
didn't mean to sound a little terse in my thread reply, my apologies.

No offense taken sir :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:07 pm 
Aerial Pirate

:oops: I think I may have misunderstood your message, no apology necessary..........