Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:57 am 

Hi

Following on from my question on airfield numbers, thanks all for the answers so far.

I would like to ask if there was a set period of days say that a fighter pilot had between posting to a USAAF unit in Europe and carrying out his first operation.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:27 am 

Based on my in depth research of 355th, 35th and 4th FG, the time of assignment to ops was factored by flight proficiency including Link time for instrument flying, as well as prior experience.

Even for high time replacement pilots arriving in ETO to a squadron were checked out and immersed in ETO specific operations estoteria.

Coming from Stateside Training command usually meant a trip to Goxhill for airplane specific training (i.e. P-47, P-38 or P-51) which included general ETO operating training with respect to radio/navigation, formation take offs, etc, then at the squadron level a review and some flight observation to assess 'readiness'.

Some units had their own standards. For example, my father Bert Marshall Jr - as Deputy CO 355th FG - peronally checked out bomber pilots arriving for assignment to 2nd SF at Steeple Morden in AT-6 before approving assignment to P-51Ds. The bomer guys in general were Far ahead of new replacements from states with respect to navigation and IFR - and all had prior completion of Tour of Duty in B-17s or B-24s.

In general, two weeks was average 'break in' time at Squadron level before assignment as wingman in 2nd element of a flight.

Others,like my father, arrived with extensive flight proficiency, and were on assignment much earlier. Dad was a newbie Cpt wih 1900 hours as Instructor/Squadron CO in trainng Command, flew is first mission on D-Day with 3 days immersion, and shot his first LW aircraft on 1st day of combat. The Squadron Ops Officer after 10 days then, 354FS CO after 50 days. Gordy Graham, another 354FS ace arrived in September and replaced dad as 354FS CO - when dad became Dpy Gp CO.

The reason to bring that up is to cite experience as a major factor shortening time before combat Ops.

Another factor is that the 8th AF FGs formed a 'Clobber College' using two seat Mustangs for new pilot break in - which replaced Goxhill 495 and 496 FTG based at Cheddington and Goxhill as first stop.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sorry to resurrect a somewhat old thread...
A related question.
You mention bomber pilots being retrained for fighters...was that all done in the UK?
How long was the course and where was it?

While bomber pilots certainly knew how to fly an AT-6, getting checked out in higher performance fighters would have been a step up...and more to the point, combat flying tactics and gunnery training would have been a new thing as well.

I have wondered about this for years, ever since reading about Bert Stiles, the author of Serenade to a Big Bird who survived a B-17 your only to be killed in a Mustang.