Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 663 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:55 pm 

Last Thursday we pulled the PBJ out to clean her up for the air show. I brought my brand new Nikon so that I could get some shots of her outside in the daylight. Now if you think these shots are good you should see the high resolution pictures. Over all I have over 100 shots taken that day. These caught my eye. You must admit the photog had a good eye! And that is the damned problem! I didn’t take these. John Cutright did!

I HATE YOU JOHN

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:58 pm 

Oh and yes tanks in and complete. Engine in a couple of weeks. Props will be last thing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Cannot wait to see her in the air! Will will see the wingtip radar and rockets added soon?

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:43 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Wow she looks absolutely stunning.. Great job!! :drink3:

________

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:22 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

That is one good looking bird and I look forward to seeing her in the air!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:03 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Wow...!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:35 pm 

This son-of-a-PBJ-driver is in awe. Can't wait to see her fly!

Craig

Facebook Groups:

U.S. Marine Corps Sikorsky HRS / CH-19 Helicopter Database
U.S. Coast Guard Sikorsky HO4S / HH-19 Helicopter Database

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:11 pm 

I am fairly new to WIX, so it has been a fun couple of weeks digging through all of these "old" threads. I started with the "Fifi" engine story. Then "Special K" became my favorite because of the history of the plane. She was quickly replaced by "Hot Stuff" as that plane is/was local to me (no recent updates so not sure where she is now),

However the Mitchell twin engine bomber has always been my favorite bomber. "Semper Fi" is the top of the list. You guys have done a great job! I can't wait to see video of her spinning props and putting air under her wings.

Keep up the GREAT work

Joe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:43 pm 

This is the only remaining example of the Navy/ Marine PBJ in the world. A little over 700 B-25 Mitchell bombers were acquired by the Department of the Navy during WWII. These aircraft were modified by the Navy and given to the Marine Corps to fly in combat in the South Pacific. The Navy called them PBJ-1. Seven squadrons saw action and our airplane represents one of them. Painstaking research as well as interviews with actual squadron members have led to the result you see today. In the future rocket launchers and the right wing radar pod will be added. When one of the surviving crew members of VMB 611 which this aircraft represents, saw her for the first time he burst into tears and said, “You boys got it right!”

Very soon now this unique part of aviation history can be in the skies. Our 20 plus years of restoration effort will be vindicated. We are so very close to flying but without the continued support of our members and others our goal could be significantly delayed. Many of our friends are WWII veterans. Sadly some of our biggest supporters that had hoped to see us fly have “gone west”. There are three living members of VMB 611. We can afford to wait. They cannot.

If any who read this have ever thought about sponsoring a war bird or making a meaningful contribution to something of significant historic value now is the time. If all goes well we could fly as soon as early 2015.

Semper Fi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:21 am 

Dan,

I have been quietly donating to the PBJ through my company for several years now (basically $50.00 per month). You guys may not have seen it directly because it has gone into the aircraft account at HQ. I have given enough to have been awarded a sponsorship of the aircraft. I know it's a small amount compared to what you need, but I hope it helps.

RICK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:34 pm 

Rick,

Thank you so much. No we were not aware of your donations at wing level. You and others like you kept us going when our main effort was sheet metal restoration. Now we are into the big expensive things. I would hate to think that anybody has been overlooked. I know that our PBJ crew would if possible thank everyone personally if we could. We are equally grateful to any and all of our supporters. Without you we could not have stood a chance!

Dan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:03 pm 

Rick,

Thank you so much for your participation. I check with our accounting guys from time to time just to make sure I haven't overspent and sometimes I get a bit of a surprise. It surely reduces the amount of tension I seem to have.

To all how have helped out and to all of those who are considering it, Thank You. We couldn't have gotten this far without it.

Hoping to have a paypal account really soon and we will be making a big push to get things done.

Marc
PBJ Crew Chief

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:45 am 

She is looking great. Did ton know she flew with one of the operational squadrons. Did it actually see action?

One other question- what is the story with the orange SNJ? Never seen that color before.

Chappie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:14 pm 
KiwiZac

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. A sincere and hearty Well Done to all involved.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:03 am 

I’m sorry for the slow updates.

On the 23rd of last month we hung our second overhauled engine on the PBJ. About 3 weeks prior several of us had the pleasure of witnessing a two hour engine run out at Aero Trader in Chino. LOUD! Mega loud! With short stacks all around it was beyond noise. The sound. The vibration. The smell. Amazing day.

Also we purchased, painted, and installed our four blister guns. We included the shute between blisters that several Mitchell restorations neglect.

Unbelievably just the other day a Norden bombsight was donated. It needs assembly and a few other parts.

We are still working on several items such as avionics, more electrical wiring, seating, rigging and we need 3 more 50cal machine guns. I’m still looking for zero length rocket launchers.

Once again if any of you out there have ever thought of playing a role in getting a significant war bird in the air now is your chance.

Thanks from the PBJ Crew for all your support,
Dan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 663 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next