Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 663 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:46 am 

We have an active cadet program at the SoCal Wing and last Saturday thanks to Marc Russell (T-34), Jason Somes (Pitts), and Scott O’Brien (Cessna 195), several rides were conducted. Most of us do this because we love aviation and I have found most of us love to share that experience.

My first plane ride way back when was in a C-150. One of our young ladies had her first plane ride in a T-34 and in a three ship formation! I flew for 25 years before my first formation flight and most pilots never get that chance! Several of our cadets have flown in the Mustang!

We do a lot more than restore the PBJ at the Wing. We keep 10 airplanes flying and that takes work. These young people help us do the job.

We have unique and special abilities at the CAF that you can’t find anywhere else and to share this makes life special.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:12 pm 

Any updates on the pbj, Fairchild or museum expansion?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:08 pm 

Somebody say Fairchild?

Our resident painter Mike Hohls darned near killed himself this summer working in a hot hangar. The results of his efforts were spectacular. More paint and other issues need to be resolved before she flies but it won't be long.

As to the hangar build out it should start any day now. The PBJ is also very close. All it takes is money.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:07 pm 

The first thing Norman Ewers asked me was if we would let him try and get into the cockpit of the PBJ. It wasn't easy but with the help of several crew members he once again sat in the pilots seat. The last time Norman sat in a PBJ was in 1945. Originally he was scheduled to visit last fall for his 91st birthday. Unfortunately, he broke his hip the night before. But you can't keep a determined Marine from completing his mission. Clearly he was enjoying himself and he spent several minutes in the seat. I told him that he was the first PBJ pilot to sit in that seat since the restoration. After a time the process was reversed and he was directed to a table where he showed us many photos and memorabilia from his service in WWII, Korea and Vietnam. I can tell you we all enjoyed and appreciated him for sharing this with us. I felt humbled and proud to be part of this special day. I hope and pray that in the not too distant future we can take him flying in the PBJ.
Semper Fi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:03 pm 

Fantastic! Of which VMB squadron was he a member?

Craig

Facebook Groups:

U.S. Marine Corps Sikorsky HRS / CH-19 Helicopter Database
U.S. Coast Guard Sikorsky HO4S / HH-19 Helicopter Database

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:26 pm 

VMB 613

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:38 pm 

After the big D.C. Flyover several folks have contacted me regarding “Devil Dog” claiming to be a PBJ-1. If you go to their website you will find that they do not claim to be a PBJ but they “represent” a PBJ. Over the years I have been challenged many times about our claim to be the only one of its kind and every time I can show that we are. Just because the plane is blue doesn't make it a PBJ.

N9643C, 44-86758, BuNo 174152(fictitious) otherwise known as Devil Dog, was an Air Force TB-25K released for sale in 1958.

The other aircraft most mentioned is at the National Museum of Naval Aviation at Pensacola. 44-29035 is a TB-25N released by the Air Force in 1958. It has been restored to non-flight condition as a PBJ-1D BuNo. 35087 of VMB 423 (with the wrong paint scheme) which crashed in 1944.

The SoCal Wing's PBJ-1J, N5865V, 44-30988, BuNo. 35857 was sold by the USN in 1947 and is the only known example in restoration and soon will be the only flying PBJ in the world.

Check out “B-25 Mitchell in Civil Service” by Scott A. Thompson.
“Leatherneck Bombers” by Alan C. Carey.
“PBJ Mitchell Units of the Pacific War” by Jerry Scutts.
Or this wonderful website called W.I.X.

Dan

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:03 pm 

Dan Newcomb wrote:
After the big D.C. Flyover several folks have contacted me regarding “Devil Dog” claiming to be a PBJ-1. If you go to their website you will find that they do not claim to be a PBJ but they “represent” a PBJ. Over the years I have been challenged many times about our claim to be the only one of its kind and every time I can show that we are. Just because the plane is blue doesn't make it a PBJ.

N9643C, 44-86758, BuNo 174152(fictitious) otherwise known as Devil Dog, was an Air Force TB-25K released for sale in 1958.

The other aircraft most mentioned is at the National Museum of Naval Aviation at Pensacola. 44-29035 is a TB-25N released by the Air Force in 1958. It has been restored to non-flight condition as a PBJ-1D BuNo. 35087 of VMB 423 (with the wrong paint scheme) which crashed in 1944.

The SoCal Wing's PBJ-1J, N5865V, 44-30988, BuNo. 35857 was sold by the USN in 1947 and is the only known example in restoration and soon will be the only flying PBJ in the world.

Check out “B-25 Mitchell in Civil Service” by Scott A. Thompson.
“Leatherneck Bombers” by Alan C. Carey.
“PBJ Mitchell Units of the Pacific War” by Jerry Scutts.
Or this wonderful website called W.I.X.

Dan

Are there any updates? I think I am addicted I come to this site everyday to see an update on this particular thread. Many years ago I picked up a copy of the dispatch and read the article on the ferry flight of this aircraft, and since then I have been trying to follow what is being done to this aircraft. Dan thank you for time on the aircraft and thank you for keeping this thread going!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:59 pm 

These days I don't have a lot of time to devote to updates and I do apologize. My duties at CAF have expanded. With 13 airplanes and the two new hangars that we are building along with fund raising, cadet program, helping with weekly hangar events and now and then banging rivets or turning a wrench as well as family and friends I'm darned busy. Oh and I do get to fly often so no need to weep for me. I'm having a blast!
I will share the following report written by long time head of our project Marc Russell. I hope this will bring you folks up to speed.
Dan

Hello to all,
Haven't been in contact for a short while so here we go.
Avionics.  I have, or will shortly have just about everything we need for the plane.  I can't tell you just how much that means to all of us.  We are going to have an incredible panel that will provide us with great information and be extremely reliable.  As soon as we have it all hooked up, we will send out pictures.  I sat in the left seat the other day and was mesmerized by just how fantastic it is going to look.  All antennas are installed except for a transponder unit, but that is coming. 
Wiring  Jeff Nelson is working on getting out here in the near future and will figure out just what he needs in the way of hardware to finish everything.  After he has it, his next visit will be to do just that.  It is our intent to run the engines as soon as he has finished his work to make sure we have the generators and everything else working just right.  What a day that will be.
Fuel Tanks  All four mains have approximately 30 gallons in them and they are all dry on the outside.  We have had to do some extra work on the aux tanks but that is coming along.  Right side aux tank has about 7 gallons in it, which is enough to indicate any leaks.  Left side is going back together and will have fuel in it hopefully tomorrow.
Batteries  Got a great call today.  I have two batteries coming and all we are paying for is the shipping.  They are heavy duty units for more cranking power, and I think they are the sealed type.  Either way, we are in great shape.
Flaps are still a work in progress but nearly complete.  A couple more days and all of the parts will be in place.  In fact, the parts being adjusted right now on the flaps are pretty much the last parts from our stash that have to go back on.  All we have now on the racks are odds and ends.
Hale's engineering is making up seats for us right now.  I will have those installed as soon as we get them.  These seats are the ones that are going to make us money when we give rides.  Two in the aft section are already in place.
Oil shut off valves were ordered on Tuesday.  These valves should show up in the next day or so.  They will be used to keep oil from slowly running from the tank and into the engine, where it might cause hydraulic locking.  They are going to be wired so that the starters can't be activated unless the valves are open, and if there is any oil pressure in the system, they can't be closed. 
Chip detectors.  I had given up on a donation here so I ordered two of them.  They showed up a couple of days ago and are in John Syrdhl's hands.  Today, I was sent an email that the donated ones are indeed on their way.  Usually, we have one up in the nose section of the engine as that is where metal chips are the most likely to show up.  But, there is another location we can use them as well so we will put all 4 to use. 
Wheels  When we first got the plane, Aero Trader gave us all sorts of stuff.  Included were 4 brand new tires.  While the tires on the plane seem fairly good, I only plan to use them for taxi testing and then I want new tires installed.  Over the years we had a couple of wheels show up and one was a B-25 wheel, while the other is an unknown.  After some horse trading, we now have two B-25 wheels, complete with new inner tubes, tires and bearings installed.  These will go on for final taxi tests and flights.  Putting those tires on the rims is a major amount of work and we thought our only option was to use Aero Trader.  But, a visitor, who does tractor tires, said no problem, and he was right.  Luck has been shining on us.
To say we are thrilled is an understatement.  We still have a few things to do like final gear swings and such, as well as buy and install a few components such as the bomb racks and overhaul the props, but that's about it.  Putting power on her for the first time is going to be exciting to say the least. 
As big events occur, such as the engine runs, we will send updates ahead of time.  Thanks to all who have supported our effort.  We couldn't do it without you guys.  Its been nearly 22 years, but we will be flying this year.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:29 pm 

UPDATES PLEASE!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:41 pm 
KiwiZac

Same here, although a little more relaxed :lol:

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:44 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Do you still need wheels??

________

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:59 pm 

craigwadsworth wrote:
UPDATES PLEASE!

Ok.... I am not a SoCal Wing member, but I do attempt to keep up with the airplane.....
1. Avionics....check
2. Oil tanks....check
3. Prop Overhaul.....check
4. 1001 last minute items...... leak testing all tanks, testing systems.. checking them off....
5. My understanding is that competion of the wiring is the last hurdle....

Yes, waiting just as impatiently as most everyone else.....
alan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:18 pm 

Thank you so much Alan for carrying the ball! You hit the nail on the head with the PBJ.

We have a little more going on at CMA than our bird. We are more than doubling our hangar space and ripping up our ramp! The PBJ will fly in a matter of weeks. Things around here a very, very busy so bare with me. It is hard for me to find time for updates and to be honest with you their isn't much more to be said until she gets the wires finished and that will happen soon.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:50 pm 

Took this April 30th....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 663 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next