Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 663 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 45  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:40 pm 

This is what she will look like. Not your run of the mill Mitchell. Radar and rockets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for the info. For Christmas one year we got him a flight jacket with VMB-413's patch on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:24 pm 

This may be off-topic, but in our restoration of our warbird that is the only official PBJ-1J that will someday fly again in memory of Sarles' Raiders, I present for those interested a little history of the original VMB-611 "MB 11."

I have a photo of what I believe was VMB-611's first "MB 11," a PBJ-1D (BuNo unknown). I do not know its final fate; if it was damaged, lost or replaced. I do know that PBJ-1J BuNo 35243 was a replacement aircraft and it was assigned as "MB 11." I have been told that the squadron received her sometime in April, and my father's flight log indicates he first flew her May 7 during a strike on Del Monte.

On May 30, 1945, Lt. Col. Sarles led an all day multiple PBJ sweep of the Kibawe Trail near Davao. In the morning, his PBJ-1D "MB 7" was hit by AA fire. He and four crew members were KIA. The third pair of PBJs arrived over the area in the afternoon and having been advised that Sarles' PBJ had been lost, began a search, but to no avail. While making runs on their target, my father, 1st. Lt. Doit L. Fish, flying PBJ-1J "MB 11," became missing and was never seen again. He and his seven-member crew, including a passenger, were officially declared MIA.

In November 1956, the aircraft wreckage and skeletal remains were discovered near Carmen. What was left of "MB 11" was strewn over an area of 400-500 feet on a slope about 300 feet from the crest of a mountain peak. Found at the site were two engines, portions of the landing gear, eight .50 caliber machine guns, two .38 caliber revolvers, miscellaneous items, two crewmember’s "dog-tags" and portions of bones.

On July 15, 1957, the eight Marines were given a group burial, with full military honors, at Fort Logan National Cemetery, Denver, CO. As noted by surviving fellow pilots, the book on VMB-611 could now be closed...All planes are in.

It is an honor for me that our restoration crew decided to dedicate our PBJ-1J in the memory of VMB-611 and to name her "MB 11" in tribute of my father.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:07 pm 

FYI our Zero is due to return to Camarillo sometime on the 24th of this month. She was out of state for a few months but will be back with us for good. She is due to fly at the Shafter CA show in April.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:39 pm 

Just further airshow update. Our C-131 will be at Pt. Magu on the 31st. Our C-46 will be at the Riverside CA show the same week end.

D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:29 pm 

I was out at our SoCalWing's Museum this morning to help with a tour of my grandson's high school history class. They are studying about WWII and his teacher arranged the tour and I was there to explain our PBJ restoration project.

They got to see some warbirds, including the Executive Sweet, got a tour of our C-46, and they got to watch the C-131 crew test the landing gear going up and down. I was told that the C-131 would be removed from the hanger today.

Back to these high school students. It was great to see their interest and attention paid to our Museum and warbirds. To these kids, Vietnam is history; World War II is ancient history. I was amazed, especially with the girls; I think they paid more attention than the boys. I even got a hug from a couple girls.

It is gratifying to see why we have our Museum and warbirds when one has the experience that I had today with these kids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:23 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

That's cool.

I remember when I was a kid and it was such a big deal that it was the 20 year anniversary of the end of the war. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:59 pm 

The show season is almost here and we have no shortage of work to complete. I am usually the first guy to arrive in the morning and this is what I saw yesterday when I opened up the hangars. Work and more work. These babies have got to be ready by the end of the month. Some way we manage to get it done. In hangars all across America people are working their butts off getting ready for the show season. People are doing the same thing in other places across the globe like Duxford England, for example. Getting ready to spend the spring, summer and fall doing what only we can do. I love the smell of 100LL in the morning!!!!!

Post subject: PBJ
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:56 pm 

Dan and Dave! Sounds like a Motown pair! Thanks for all of the updates! So keep them coming....... Also heard that the Spitfire is just waiting for a few more dollars in the kitty to finish the engine..... Can't wait to see her in the air! Alan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:01 am 

Hello folks! Tomorrow at 0dark30 I shall navigate my Cherokee(JEEP) over the Tejon Pass to Ventura County. I am planning to spend the entire day banging rivets on the right wing of the PBJ. I will also try to get updates and photos on the Wildcat, Bearcat, SNJ, China Doll and the C-131. Like I've said before airshow season is almost here and we gotta crank.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:23 pm 

Hi guys!

Here are the shots of the work we did on the right wing yesterday. I love putting new structure on the airplane! Progress! We want to hang the right gear in a couple of months. Right now with the airplane on jacks hangar space is compromised.

Ready to shoot

Marc shooting cherry

Jeff

Ken rivets a hat channel

The finished product

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:06 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

Lookin' good Dan! Keep those updates coming.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:31 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks Dan!!! Always looking forward to the updates!!! :rock:

http://www.390th.org/
www.LSFM.org

Trae

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:17 pm 

Just a wing update. Our Zero and our Hellcat will return to Camarillo from Midland (thanks for taking care of them Gary) on Saturday March 24th. I don't know what time for sure but I think early afternoon. If you are in the area it would be a good day to come out with your camera. It is not everyday you see those two airplanes flying together!

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:31 pm 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 663 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 45  Next