Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 663 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 45  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:11 am 

Thanks, Dan. I thought it might be a Lodestar.

PJ
PV-2 Harpoon "Hot Stuff"
www.amhf.org

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:48 am 

Hi folks,

Yesterday Mike, John, Scott and yours truly had a painting party at the hangar. Mike’s flying schedule allowed for a much-preferred Monday workday. Scott and I pulled all of the planes out to the ramp as John hooked up the actuators for the main landing gear. After masking off a few areas and wiping down the metal we fired up the mule and retracted the gear to allow Mike to shoot with the gear doors up. The gear stayed retracted for over five and a half hours. Mike “Donut” Hohls was true to his call sign and brought a dozen with him so we all started the day with a sugar rush. John was also true to his nature and brought several cans of refreshment, which was enjoyed while munching delivery pizza in the afternoon. Mike had to leave early but reliever Scott “Bucker Boy” Drosos completed the task of shooting hopefully the last of the white paint on the airplane.

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:47 pm 

Hi Dan,
Thought I'd announce it to the world here... My new company purchase is finally done (only took a year and a half...) and the transition has started so now I can finally make some plans to come out there. Seems you are getting closer to needing some wires run in the nose so I'll get serious about scheduling some time with you guys. I need my PBJ fix! Anyway, I'll get my end of things together and give you a call when I've got things nailed down.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:11 am 

Fantastic news! Yes we do need wires in the nose. We have held off on putting the nose together for you. The cage is just clekoed in and will be removed to allow you clear access. Also we have made arraignments to have our Mastiff “Schultzie” kenneled thus vacating her house for the duration of your visit, which will allow us to put you up in the back yard. I apologize for the lack of heating in her quarters but we feel you will be quite comfortable as we had her bed cleaned especially for your comfort.

Looking forward to your visit,

Dan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:11 pm 

To all involved..... Great, great work..... Dan, it is nice to know you guys go ALL OUT for Jeff and crew when they come to work on the PBJ!
How is funding for the PBJ at the moment, and what is the estimated dollar amount needed to move her into the "Flying" category?
alan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:45 am 

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the kind words. The biggest expense left to us, is getting both engines rebuilt. I have heard 50 to 70 grand each depending on condition. We need the props overhauled as well as a few more fuel tanks. And then of course we have avionics to deal with. We qualify for matching funds up to a point so a rough guess would be 150K or so to fly. All of the major structure work has been completed. If the money comes we are months instead of years away from flight. I know this might seem like a lot of money to most folks but it is about half the cost of a new Cessna 172!

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:47 pm 

Hi Guys,

Since my last report we have successfully installed a newly rebuilt nose gear. We continue with hydraulic work, which I hate with a passion but it has to be done. The brakes are being overhauled. Also the boys are completely rebuilding the seats. Painting of sub-assemblies continues. Not very exciting I know. We are getting there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:12 pm 

Our VMB 611 PBJ-1J "MB 11" restoration crew received the highest praise we could have ever expected last week when we were visited by one of the last surviving members of VMB 611. From this day forward, in our minds at least, we won’t worry about the “authenticity police” and other so called experts criticizing our work. They can say what they want, good or bad, but it doesn’t matter for today a man that was THERE, a man that flew combat in these airplanes in the very squadron that our PBJ represents looked into our eyes with tears streaming down his cheeks and said, “You’ve done it right!” Verne Horton, I am sure I speak for us all when I say, “Sir, it was our pleasure!”

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:18 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

My .02, Mr Hortons thoughts are the ones that matter! Dan you said in an earlier post about painting sub-assemblies not being very exciting, maybe not exciting but sure is a lot of fun watching things come together. Thanks for the updates :drink3:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:14 pm 

I can’t believe how wonderful she looks! That big star sure looks great. Mike spent hours in preparation to insure that the result would be as accurate as possible. We were all amazed at how complex our national insignia really is. The colors, the layout and the dimensions are critical. Also the placement on the fuselage and wings is critical. We also discovered that the size and placement differed depending on model. The “D” is far different than the “J” for instance. It is amazing how such a simple thing can take so much time and energy. It was all worth it!

Semper Fi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:23 pm 

Simply wonderful. This son of a PBJ pilot thinks you're doing an outstanding job!

Craig

Facebook Groups:

U.S. Marine Corps Sikorsky HRS / CH-19 Helicopter Database
U.S. Coast Guard Sikorsky HO4S / HH-19 Helicopter Database

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:50 pm 

Dan! Once again, great work.... I know she will be done, "When she's done", but I really, really would like to see you guys (and the PBJ!) be on the flightline in Midland for 2013! I am hoping that all six of the B-25's......err correction, five B-25's and ONE PBJ, will be on the MAF flightline.... along with all of the other SoCal Fleet..... (have not yet seen the Spit in person)...........Again, Hats off to all....... On the B-29 we had a lot of work to do, but not a complete nose to rudder, top to bottom restoration......
alan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:58 pm 

She really is looking good, Dan! I was impressed by the amount of work the team has done on her when I finally saw it in person last month! It looks like things have been moving right along in the four weeks since I was there! I look forward to seeing what else is new with her in the next month or so!

Keep up the good work!

Kris Hull

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:43 pm 

Thinking of an Irish tune.................

"Oh Danny boy, for news, we are a-waiting.
For more tales of daring do.........

OK, OK, OK....... What we (me) really want, is an update..... Yes, family and work does get in the way.......but........
Oh BTW, the B-29 heads out in a little over a week.....compass pointing WEST!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:08 pm 

Hey Alan,

Yes Christmas and family has played a part in slowing things down but several other things have made things a little difficult for us.

We need to finish painting the upper surfaces but the weather has not cooperated. It has been either too cold or too wet or too windy or a combination of all the above. Also we need to pull the airplane out of the hangar to pressure wash it before we paint but this is our time to do maintenance on the other birds in our hangar and moving them out of our way can be difficult. Also we are waiting on parts. We have more fuel tanks to aquire as well as seat kits ordered from Aero Trader. We have five seats that we have refurbished but can’t finish them without the kits. We do have little jobs like lining tanks and plugging holes here and there. We have started on the bomb bay doors which were in terrible shape but once again we had to have some parts made for us and they haven’t arrived. Sooo, when the weather gets better and all of the parts arrive we will be very busy. After all of that we still need the engines and props rebuilt and you know what that takes! We are at the point in this long journey where like it or not it gets down to generating the BIG BUCKS. It always gets down to that and some way we will find a way to get it done.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 663 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 45  Next