Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:04 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

Amazing work. Thanks for sharing all of the pictures and explanations.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:31 am 
Sabremech wrote:
We've been busy getting ready for the next few airshows coming up for us. We leave Friday morning for Dayton, then the following week to Thunder over Michigan, then Oshkosh. I had a company named Down to the Last Detail come out and polish the fuselage to get it ready. Here's a picture or 2 of the guys at work and then a little teaser of how the Sabre looks after polish.
David
WHF Maint

David - the F-86F Sabre is unbelievably gleaming in that finish. You and everyone up there have done an amazing job. I can't wait to see the Sabre come in with the T-33 and the Buckeye this coming Friday at T.O.M. and it should look outstanding in the Heritage Flight on Saturday with the F-16 and P-51.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:13 pm 

Thanks for a great thread. Reading this was the best hour I've spent all day.

B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:51 pm 

Thanks Banndit,
It was fun doing this thread. I'm not sure how I'll top it for next year. I'll have to pick one of our other planes and do the same type of thing.
David
WHF Maint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:55 pm 

Sabremech wrote:
Thanks Banndit,
It was fun doing this thread. I'm not sure how I'll top it for next year. I'll have to pick one of our other planes and do the same type of thing.
David
WHF Maint

I'd love to help. My son (20) and I are handy with wrenches and digital cameras. Give us enough time and we might show up w/ beer.

B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:34 pm 

With the unscheduled engine change we've been working on the condition inspection once again. We have a new inspection program this year and are looking at a few areas more intense than last year. The wing center section and fittings are being looked at and some parts NDT'd. Here's a few photos of the wing mount bolt area and NDT in progress.

We're also taking a hard look at the forward spar around the fuel gauge cutout.

As far as the engine goes, we made a visit to the shop and saw our engine parts inspected, repaired and ready for reassembly.

The rest of the inspection is coming along nicely and we hope to be installing the engine sometime in January with ops checks to follow.
David
WHF Maint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:42 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Who is doing the engine? I'm curious how many qualified shops still overhaul J47s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:43 am 

Aeroturbine in California. They are the only J47 shop we know of. We toured their facility and it's amazing to see the work going on there.
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:02 pm 

We're still working on wrapping up what we can on the Sabre even while we are working on the A-4. We needed the 4000 trailer that our engine was sitting on so I built an engine stand to free up the trailer. The squawk list is shrinking and we have just a little more of the inspection to do minus the op's checks that have to wait until the engine is installed.

David
WHF Maint
www.warbirdheritagefoundation.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:15 pm 

Quick update, The inspection is mostly complete now to the point we need the engine and then we can complete our op's checks. We have some squawks to fix while we wait for the engine and are planning on starting the annual on the Stearman and then the T-6 to keep making forward progress. Winter maintenance is sure getting busy.
David
WHF Maint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:36 pm 

I talked with the folks at the engine shop and looks like our engine will be on the test cell soon. It's going to be right down to the wire for us getting the Sabre airworthy again before Airshow season gets going full steam. Still quite a bit to do before we can install the engine. I'll be back on the Sabre after the T-6 is finished and tidy up some items I've wanted to do for some time. I've got quite a bit of paint touch up I want to do and looks like I'll get back to that as we'll be working on the A4 and Sabre most of the rest of May.
David
WHF Maint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:13 pm 

Well here we are, just a couple of weeks until Oshkosh. My last post was in May with the engine going to the test cell. The guys at Aeroturbine are working hard at getting us an engine. These old J47's are just that, old and take alot of tweaking to make them run just right. We're getting ready for the engine and will do all we can to make it to Oshkosh. There's a lot to do in the next couple of weeks if we make it, to include crew training as we've been down for so long. Currently we are finishing some minor squawks and doing quite a bit of paint work. The old bird will sport a different look this year. We'll just leave it at that for now.
We have our new smoke tank finished and ready for install.

There were some dings and dents in the left hand flap, so we fixed those and painted it.

We also changed out both landing gear doors as the originals were cracked and just needed to be changed.

Lot's more going on and I'll post more on the Sabre as we try to make Oshkosh. if that doesn't work out, we'll shoot for Thunder.
David
WHF Maint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:28 am 
Sabremech wrote:
Lot's more going on and I'll post more on the Sabre as we try to make Oshkosh. if that doesn't work out, we'll shoot for Thunder.
David
WHF Maint

Thanks for the updates, David. Keep up the great work with the Sabre. Hope to see it at Thunder next month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:40 pm 
David,

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your work on the F-86. Absolutely outstanding and was a real trip down memory lane for me.

In 1964 I completed my Navy Air A School at NAS Memphis where we trained on FJ2 and 3s (the Navy version of the F-86). We had about 8 fuselages in the hanger mounted on stands that were used for system training and a flyable FJ3 parked outside for training with engine run ups. I was an Aviation Mechanic Egress (AME). We were responsible for the air conditioning, pressurization, rain removal, oxygen, egress/ejection seat, survival equipment, canopy removal, etc. They had the FJ fuselages set up in the hanger so we could use compressed air to simulate the engine bleed air and ground power so we could operate the systems. The compressed air did a pretty good job of spinning up the AC turbine and allowed us to learn and trouble shoot problems without burning any JP4. The Navy was still flying the FJ4s at the base and I loved working around them and being an AME was a great job. The danger level for AMEs was fairly high because of the explosive charges used on the seats and bad things could and did happen to some. Most of the problems happened to them when they were disarming the Martin Baker ejection seats. There were a lot of system parts jammed into tight spaces but other than the Memphis heat it was great time in my life.

I’ve often wondered what happened to all those old FJs in Memphis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:32 pm 

Sabremech wrote:
Aeroturbine in California. They are the only J47 shop we know of. We toured their facility and it's amazing to see the work going on there.
David

Did you see the JUMO 004B's getting overhauled? Maybe four of them maybe for an ME262? :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next