Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:12 pm 

Schedule for right now barring any unforseens is: Dayton, Battle Creek, Thunder over Michigan, Oshkosh, Waukegan Airshow. You can also look up our events achedule on our website.
www.warbirdheritagefoundation.org

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:51 pm 

We're finally ready for our test flight. Tom and I did the last bit of servicing and checks we needed to do. We filled her up with fuel and set the strut heights as well as put on the rest of the panels. We want to test fly tomorrow, but the weather may be a factor with some lower ceilings than we would like. I'll post some photos if we get to fly. Here she is ready to go.

David
WHF Maint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That is sweet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:53 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Happy Skies!

"I knew the jig was up when I saw the P-51D-20-NA Mustang blue-nosed bastards from Bodney, and by the way the blue was more of a royal blue than an indigo and the inner landing gear interiors were NOT green, over Berlin."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:31 pm 

The Warbird Heritage Foundation's F86 took to the air this morning for the first flight after 2 1/2 months of maint. The flight went well with no notable squawks. My personal thanks to Tom, Jim and Shawn for their help with this project. :D
I will post some pictures of the flight tonight if any of mine turned out good enough to post.

David
WHF Maint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:35 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Outstanding! :lol:

On behalf of all WIXer's, thank you for one of the best posts I have ever read.

See ya in a couple weeks. By the way, how'd that left flap and left brake work out? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:06 pm 

Hi Scott,
That flap and brake worked well. The ones I put on......well. I was going to include you on the list and considering you have a small collection of Sabre parts on hand, I better Thank you. :)
Look forward to seeing you guys as well and the flight over to Thunder!

I'm not quite sure how I'll finish this thread yet. I'll post the photos I have and then upload a video that Tom has and we'll go from there.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:15 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

David, thanks for the continuing updates during the inspection process. This thread has been quite informative and it's great to know that y'all were able to get a flight in without any major squawks. Congratulations!

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:21 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Just hosin' you Dude! I was just a hangar rat in the right place & time that added a set of hands. :roll:

I'm the one thanking you for letting me visit! About Crate C...find it yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:24 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Congrats David on a successful "deep annual"! Glad to hear the Sabre's running great for you. Are you flying to Thunder in the Buckeye? If so, see you on the wing in a couple weeks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:28 pm 

Thanks guys! It's an incredible feeling when a project like this has been completed and the test flight goes smoothly. Gary, this still doesn't compare to the work that you have accomplished. The article about "ol 927" in Warbird Digest is fantastic. Look forward to meeting you in Oshkosh.
Paul K, I'm going to have to ask my pilot if I get to ride with him in the Buckeye, it's kind of his favorite. Looking forwad to the flight to Thunder with you guys.
Here's a couple pictures from todays flight. I wish I had a better digital camera with a good lens to get some better shots.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:09 pm 
Sabremech wrote:
Thanks guys! It's an incredible feeling when a project like this has been completed and the test flight goes smoothly. Gary, this still doesn't compare to the work that you have accomplished. The article about "ol 927" in Warbird Digest is fantastic. Look forward to meeting you in Oshkosh.
Paul K, I'm going to have to ask my pilot if I get to ride with him in the Buckeye, it's kind of his favorite. Looking forwad to the flight to Thunder with you guys.
Here's a couple pictures from todays flight. I wish I had a better digital camera with a good lens to get some better shots.

Thanks for the terrific narrative and photos on your annual maintenance checks and on the first flight of the Sabre this year. You did a GREAT job! Really looking forward to seeing it at Thunder Over Michigan in about 2 1/2 weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:23 pm 

I couldn't resist a few more photos from todays flights. We flew it for almost 2 hours today to put some time on her before the first airshow we go to. What a machine! Flying great and looking good. I've got a little more to do in the finishing details such as painting the wingtip and on Monday we get the fuselage polished. I'm expecting a great looking airplane for the season.

Thank you WIX members for following this thread and stop by the Sabre and say hello!

David
WHF Maint www.warbirdheritagefoundation.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:41 pm 

I thought I would post an update on how the Sabre has been doing since the inspection. We've flown it 4 hours and she's been treating us well. On the last flight the horizontal stab trim decided to act up. The takeoff setting for the stab trim didn't want to work right away, but then decided to work. I was lead to the trim motor as it would'nt work in alternate trim either which bypasses the relays and goes directly to the motor. I managed to get it to goof up once in the hangar, so I changed the trim actuator with a new one we had. Here's a picture of the trim actuator.

We've been busy getting ready for the next few airshows coming up for us. We leave Friday morning for Dayton, then the following week to Thunder over Michigan, then Oshkosh. I had a company named Down to the Last Detail come out and polish the fuselage to get it ready. Here's a picture or 2 of the guys at work and then a little teaser of how the Sabre looks after polish.

David
WHF Maint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:05 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

You could shave in that!

"I knew the jig was up when I saw the P-51D-20-NA Mustang blue-nosed bastards from Bodney, and by the way the blue was more of a royal blue than an indigo and the inner landing gear interiors were NOT green, over Berlin."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 22  Next