Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:53 pm 

I'd love to get my hands on an F84F model to restore. Sadly the one that was close to me in Kenosha was cut up for scrap last year. Polished does look nice but is hard to keep it that way. Our Sabre will get polished before the airshow season kicks off this Spring.

We have not done the high power engine runs as of yet because of the weather and our schedules. We have been working on a landing gear problem in the mean time. The gear works as advertised except for the light in the gear handle stays on after the gear are up and doors are closed. We think we have it narrowed down to a microswitch in the left hand wheel well. We removed this switch to do a small sheetmetal repair earlier in the inspection and now have this problem. It finally looks like an airplane now that it is in one piece.

I think I'm going to end this thread as it's accomplished our progress through 2 inspections. Thanks for looking and for all the good questions as well as comments on keeping this Sabre in the air. If I can contibute more with any of our other planes I'll look at starting a thread detailing our work.
Thanks again and check out our website for more pictures and information on the Warbird Heritage Foundation's airplanes.

David Staffeldt
WHF Maint
www.warbirdheritagefoundation.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:00 am 

This thread is incredible. Thank you for sharing all of this with us.

I registered here because of this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:09 pm 

Glad you liked it. If I can help your interest in any of our planes, feel free to contact me either through WIX or our website www.warbirdheritagefoundation.org

Thanks much,
David Staffeldt
WHF Maint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:17 am 

mattsb2000 wrote:
This thread is incredible. Thank you for sharing all of this with us.

I registered here because of this thread.

I agree! This and Gary's Ol' 927 thread are among some of the best on here in my humble opinion!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:08 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Great work and cool thread David! Holler if you ever need a T-33 chase ship!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:10 am 

Sabremech wrote:
Glad you liked it. If I can help your interest in any of our planes, feel free to contact me either through WIX or our website www.warbirdheritagefoundation.org

Thanks much,
David Staffeldt
WHF Maint

Thanks for acknowledging my reply David.

I would love to see the F-86 fly, is there a mailing list I can subscribe to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is a great thread. It is nice to see what goes into to keeping this aircraft in awesome condition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:06 am 

Matts,
On our website you can sign up for our e-newsletter. We've only sent out a couple so far, but as interest grows we'll send out more. I need to write some articles regarding the maintenance it takes to keep these birds going and then we'll have enough content to send them out more often.

Rob and Mustangdriver, Thanks for keeping up with our swept wing beauty.
Paul K. We look forward to flying some formation with you and crossing paths at upcoming airshows.

One more update, We ran the engine to 100% yesterday and it performed well. I need to adjust the idle down a bit and we'll run it some more. We have a small fuel leak to deal with and the landing gear warning light problem then all the major squawks are finished.

David
WHF MAint
www.warbirdheritagefoundation.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:32 am 

Cool, I just signed up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:02 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

David,

When do we start on the F-84? :wink: I've always had a soft spot for the F-84 series and there are several nice candidates on poles or city parks in my home state of Nebraska, including at least one RF-84F. Since the engine doesn't have pistons I would be qualified to work on it, too. :roll:

Thanks for keeping us in the loop on both the F-86 and Scooter.
Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:35 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Dave,

Just an update to show I have actually been working. :wink:

Here's the bird strike repair. Not virgin but should look great at 500 AGL and 250 Kts. :shock: Actually came out pretty good. Polishing keeps finding more dings to knock out so I have a bit more to do. The shot of the inside shows a lot of wear from mechanics who apparently carried screw drivers in their pockets while climbing inside. Don't want to go much further with that damage.

Also, your real polishing magician will be able to take more of the small scratches out, I'm sure. I did get most of the gun camera door repaired, again still some nics.

I'm sure the nose on now will stay until the next avian event, but this should be ok for an emergency backup.

I'll let you know when I think you'll be happy with it. 8) Unless you need it sooner.

I had a before shot but my old computer puked and I can't find it. You remember the pigeon poop though... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:30 pm 

Hi Scott,
Great looking work. I hope we don't need it in the near future as it probably would mean I need to use another engine as well. I haven't forgotten about the wingtip drawings. We've been quite busy with another project and hope to wrap it up soon.
Looking forward to a visit to Waukesha soon!

Take Care
David
WHF Maint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:17 pm 

I just spent the last 2 hours drooling over this thread! I LOVE F86's! That is a thing of beauty, but unfortunately i have never seen an F86 fly. How can i find out when or where this one will be flying since im kinda local?

Thanks for any info!
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:45 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

nitrouschris wrote:
I just spent the last 2 hours drooling over this thread! I LOVE F86's! That is a thing of beauty, but unfortunately i have never seen an F86 fly. How can i find out when or where this one will be flying since im kinda local?

Thanks for any info!
Chris

http://www.warbirdheritagefoundation.org/WHF_4000_0000_Events.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:41 pm 
T33driver wrote:

Paul - thanks for the link to the WHF's event calendar. Wow - I hope that the F-86F, A-4B, T-2B and L-39 all make it to Oshkosh!

It will be a GREAT Jet Warbird gathering if all those make it, along with your T-33 and the other T-33s you have mentioned in other posts on other forums. It would be really nice if Rich Sugden's FJ-4B Fury could make it back again also. Have you heard anything on the status of repairs?

Hope I can make it to Oshkosh - Do you still recommend the last Friday and Saturday of the show as the most likely time to see jet warbirds and other warbirds in the air?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 22  Next