Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:04 am 

If you find a print and make one, can you make a second one for our F-86F at the VFM? We're missing our LH wingtip. We have a volunteer who is going to make a fiberglass replacement using the RH one as a pattern, however I would like to have the correct replacement incase we ever want to fly it again (right after someone pulls up to the museum with a truckload of money!).

https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=57513906106

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:43 am 

If I can get my hands on one, even in decrepit and beaten up shape, I can fabricate one/both. I can also make the MDF blanks to use as molds to press the stainless steel into shape. If I can make a CAD drawing of what the flat plate would be, I would have a friend of mine laser cut the metal.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:47 pm 

Hi Bill,
I may have what you need to have a wingtip made. I'll check my stock and see if I have one that you can use as a pattern.
David
WHF Maint.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:46 am 

I thought since we have 10 airplanes, I would just add what we were doing on all of them to this thread instead of starting a new one. So here goes:
We are doing the turbine bolt inspection on the A4's J-65 engine now. The following picture is of one of the bolts seen through the right hand oil vent. Now that I have access, we turn the engine looking at each bolt for missing or loose hardware.

On our Mustang, we are quite a ways along with the paint project. We'll roll it out later this week still as "Baby Duck" but with a polished fuselage and new paint. We intend on not polishing it anymore and let it patina out to more of a natural look over time. Here's a picture during the pfofiling process on the wing.

I'll continue to post as we go through the maint season again if anyone is interested!

David
WHF Maint

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

YEAH! Don't know about anyone else, but I like to learn all I can on any subject. :drink3:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Whats happened? did the SABRE get pushed off into a corner?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:24 pm 

Hi Inspector,
The Sabre has been grounded due to some issues with the wings. We're working on a plan to get them repaired and the airplane back flying as soon as we can. So actually, it is pushed back in the corner of the hangar until we get room to disassemble it.
David
WHF Maint

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

and, in Fridays 'pick 6', I 'll take the numbers............. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:08 pm 

I would be curious to know what the wing problem was all about. I have a little over 11 years on the Canadian Sabre ( I know, there's a lot of differences) and can well relate to the coverage of your inspection and MX issues. I too was QUITE PROEFICIENT at aft section removal / installation by myself as we normally had a one ship / one MX guy on the road doing Dart Tow work for the Air Force. Our second set of hands was the Pilot,and they sure came in handy. And of course, the Orenda engine was a piece of cake to maintain compared to the '47. Fine article, and a job well done. :spit :drinkers:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:35 pm 

David,

How is the F-86 wing going? Miss your updates and excellent reports on the day to day issues of support.

All the best,

Larry
cadet77

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:59 am 

Hi Larry,
Our F86 is back together and flying. It made it's first Airshow over the 4th of July weekend in Battle CreeK Mi. No major problems with it so far other than an EGT gauge we suspect isn't reading correct temperature. We've been extrememly busy and I haven't taken the time to update on WIX as I've been doing them on our facebook page. I know some people don't like FB, but it's really easy to upload pictures and share our maint adventures. At oe point we had 5 of our airplanes down with maint issues of one kind or another. We were back to only 2 down until last Thursday when we had engine problems on our T28. We'll remove the engine after Oshkosh and send it out for repair. We're also waiting on a new fuel bladder to be made for our Skyraider and the Birddog engine should be wrapped up this month. I had to get some engine bolts FAA-PMA'd for the Birddog because they are no longer supported by Continental.
That's kind of the latest from the WHF. If you don't have a FB account, you can access it through our website to get the latest as well as some pictures of what we're doing.
Thanks for following us!

David
WHF Maint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sounds like your Kharma got caught in a rock slide-here's hoping the fortunes have turned the corner, and thnx for the update pop2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:25 am 

Sabremech.. Glad to hear tour '86 is back in service. Fine job and good luck. Don

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:49 am 

Thanks guys. We're glad to have the Sabre back together and flying. As our luck continues though, we lost the master rod bearing in our T-28 last Thursday. Luckily the guys had just taken off and when the chip light came on were right back in the pattern for an immediate landing. I have some pictures of what the screens looked like when we removed them. Engine will come off after Oshkosh and go out for repair.
David
WHF Maint

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:36 pm 

Sorry for my delay in getting some pictures posted and an update on our current projects. Photobucket appears to have an issue tonight. Pictures when photobucket works. The guys are prepping the airplanes for Oshkosh and we'll start bringing them up on Friday though Sunday. Looks like we'll have 6 of our 10 airplanes up there with the Skyraider, Birddog, and T-28 all down for major maint. We're hoping for a good Airshow and one that doesn't cause us too many maint issues. We know there will be something pop up as that's just the nature of these old birds. If you're at Oshkosh, stop on by and say hello to Sean, Mike, Bruce, and LD. I'll be sneaking around the grounds as I'm on vacation this year. I imagine I'll be spending a bit of time by our Mustang as it's the first time it's been to Osh since we've owned it. See you in Osh.
David
WHF Maint

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next