Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:39 pm 

I don't know how many of you will be interested in seeing some pictures of our F86 going through its annual, but I thought I would post a few every now and then sharing what we get to enjoy working on and flying.

Tail section removed.
Tailpipe removed.
View looking directly at the turbine wheel.

WHF Maint
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:48 pm 

How is that tail section attached? And how long does it take to remove it ? Thanks Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:01 pm 

It's attached with 4 large shouldered bolts. You can barely make out the fittings on the airframe side in the third photo. I'll get some up close shots of the attach fittings and post them. It took me about 2 hours to take it apart by myself.
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:06 pm 

I am salivating all over my keyboard now!......That is just such a beautiful jet. Thanks for the pix. I can sleep VERY happy tonight seeing that and 2 F-16's today. Sweet!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:16 pm 

Well I certainly won't be able to keep up with the incredible work Gary Austin does on Ol 927 and this forum, but I'll try to do updates and answer questions as best I can.
Thanks
WHF Maint
David

Visit our website for more photos and information about our foundation.
www.warbirdheritagefoundation.org

Post subject: sgbsdgb
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:50 pm 
Newly-minted T-6 Pilot

Cool pics David, keep 'em coming!

Dont do this...

Trey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:10 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Four bolts? That's it? :shock: Wow. How do you disconnect the control cables to the tail surfaces?

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:01 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Chris Brame wrote:
Four bolts? That's it? :shock: Wow. How do you disconnect the control cables to the tail surfaces?

You might be surprised at how many "vital" surfaces on an aircraft are attached like this. The T-38 horizontal stab goes on the jet the same way, and still managed to take the Gs we threw at it no problemo.

The F-15 wing is actually attached via four bolts that are about the size of your fist...it handles 9Gs and up to 81,000# and hasn't lost a wing yet (except that Israeli one lost to a midair....).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:36 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Chris Brame wrote:
Four bolts? That's it? :shock:

I guess that's why the term "Jesus bolt" carries such weight especially on rotorwing...

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:19 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

David, is it normal to have to take the tail section off for the annual inspection, or did y'all have some other work you needed to get done with the engine this year? Seems like a fairly simple process and gives you a good look at everything, but I just curious if you have to do that every year.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:57 am 

We take the tail off every year and also pull the engine. It's almost impossible to work on the accessories that are located on the front of the engine. We can give the whole engine a good inspection and disassemble the front end to check or change the hydraulic pumps and inspect or replace the starter. I'll post some photos when we pull the engine.
The flight control cables have sort of a quick disconnect just forward of where the fuselage splits. There are three cables and three hydraulic lines on each side.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:29 am 

How hard is it to reconnect the cables?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:05 am 

Great stuff! That is one beautiful bird.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:54 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

There are only 4 relatively small bolts holding on the tail to the fuselage of the Huey. Especially considering the stresses from the anti-torque rotor.

The "Jesus nut" looks kind of small to be holding the whole rotor system to the mast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:20 am 

Chris Brame wrote:

Hey Chris,

It doesn't take much to hold alot of aircraft parts on. :lol: :lol: When I worked for the airlines, it would surprise you to know that there only THREE bolts that hold a JT8 on the mounts of a DC-9 or 727. And, take this into consideration, picture a Boeing 747, and then take ONE engine and nose cowl assembly, remove the reverser's and core cowls and you have anywhere from between 12,000 and 14,000 lbs per engine on each position. Now, all it takes to hold those engine on the pylons is 5 (FIVE) bolts to hold that weight on the pylon. And they aren't really big bolts. Now consider this, all that weight plus thrust is held on to the airframe by FOUR, hollow pins.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread, but I figured it was somewhat relevant to how airplanes are "put together" and how the Sabre's tail is held on.

Paul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next