Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:18 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

Thanks for that info Larry & David.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:49 am 

Sabremech wrote:
Larry,
I sure am glad not to work with Skydrol. I managed to prove to myself that it isn't good to get in your eyes a number of years ago. Caster Oil works wonders.

Using caster oil is an old wives tale. If you consult the MSDS sheet for Skydrol, you should have rinsed your eyes with water for 15 minutes.

The caster oil may help relieve a temporary irritation, but it doesn't address the root cause of the discomfort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:40 am 

Even temporary relief is better than nothing. Personally, it felt better than the eyewash.
Maybe we should get the mythbuster gang to check it out for us! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:35 am 

Skydrol vs 5606 "red oil"....... All current production military jets use Mil H 83282 which is the synthetic version of the Mil H 5606 mineral oil. They can be mixed, but it is not recommended. Both of these oils have better lubricity than Skydrol, but Skydrol (phosphate ester oil) is resistant to combustion. The military fluids are oil and burn like oil. The FAA mandates that all commercial transport a/c use Skydrol. Gulfstream jets are skydrol systems, but most other biz jets use 83282 or 5605. Seals designed for skydrol will work in red oil applications, but don't ever put a red oil seal in a skydrol application..... it will swell to twice its original size and fail immediately.

An interesting note on cost. A 55 gallon drum of Skydrol sets you back $3500. The exact same fluid is sold to steel melting companies for use in blast furnace hydraulic systems under the name "pydrol" for a few hundred dollars a barrel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:47 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Sabremech wrote:
Even temporary relief is better than nothing. Personally, it felt better than the eyewash.
Maybe we should get the mythbuster gang to check it out for us! :)

I recall a time in the "olden days" when I splashed catalyzed polyester resin in my eye and had to wash it out with acetone. :shock:

That was fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:10 pm 

I was told that pouring milk into Skydrol splashed eye brings instant relief. Never tried it myself but last week one of the guys at work copped a facefull of the purple evil stuff. We washed his eyes with the approved eye wash and then tried milk. He said it worked!
I got a lung full of Skydrol mist once. I was short of breath for a week. It'l proberbly kill me in the end :?

Rgds Cking

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:26 pm 

My resident F86 "Guru" finished building up a set of new brakes. We used almost all new parts in this set of brakes. I hope they last a good long time. I'll be building up a spare set this summer in anticipation of changing them sooner than later. Here's a few photos of the brake work in progress. First picture is of brand new rotors.

New carrier assembly starting to go together.

And finally a finished brake assembly.

Tom finished all the pain in the rear safety wiring of the combustion cans and I changed a couple more hydraulic filters so we could put the tail section back on. Here's a series of pictures of installing the tail section. I apparently couldn't drive the trailer straight as it took us a while to get it lined up just right. I managed to get it on my last try before I was going to turn the driving duties over to Tom.

So here we are with the tail on and it starting to look like a real airplane again. We added the fuselage jacks because we still have alot of weight out of the nose and didn't want to take a chances with the airplane on jacks.
David
WHF Maint

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:42 pm 

Wow David,Those are some impressive brakes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:14 pm 

Hi Larry,
They look good, but I managed to get a little less than 40 hours on the last set as they started leaking just before we started this inspection. They weren't worn beyond limits, but leaking is a definite bad thing with magnesium carriers. I hope to do better with new parts this time.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:35 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

David, thanks for the great hospitality today. I really enjoyed my visit and seeing Paul again.

Here's the link I spoke of to Ron Fournier's page. He is an old racer guy but offers (in my opinion) some of the finest and highest quality fab tools around.

http://www.fournierenterprises.com/

Hope I didn't take up too much of your time today. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:23 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

BrianB wrote:
Skydrol vs 5606 "red oil"....... All current production military jets use Mil H 83282 which is the synthetic version of the Mil H 5606 mineral oil. They can be mixed, but it is not recommended. Both of these oils have better lubricity than Skydrol, but Skydrol (phosphate ester oil) is resistant to combustion. The military fluids are oil and burn like oil. The FAA mandates that all commercial transport a/c use Skydrol. Gulfstream jets are skydrol systems, but most other biz jets use 83282 or 5605. Seals designed for skydrol will work in red oil applications, but don't ever put a red oil seal in a skydrol application..... it will swell to twice its original size and fail immediately.

An interesting note on cost. A 55 gallon drum of Skydrol sets you back $3500. The exact same fluid is sold to steel melting companies for use in blast furnace hydraulic systems under the name "pydrol" for a few hundred dollars a barrel.

I dont know about this, mixing 5606 with skydrol. We had a emb- 145 show up at the hangar one night and a call came down that a line mech serviced the system with 5606 by accident. The aircraft sat for 2 days while we changed every 0-ring and hyd componut in the system. If I ever see that SOB!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:14 pm 

Scott,
Pleasure to have you stop by and meet you today. I should have put some tools in your hand and let you get after some of the squauwks. :)
You didn't slow us down at all. Come on by anytime.

Here's some of the work Tom, Scott and I managed to get done today. We adjusted the L/H main landing gear side play by putting in some thicker shims. Here's the stop removed with the shims.

After getting the stop and the downlock reinstalled, we put the L/H brake assembly on.

Tom had installed the R/H brake the other day.

Then Scott and I put the L/H flap on. Good to have another set of hands on this. Here's some of Scott's handy work. It's amazing when fellow Wixers stop by how much work can get accomplished!

We set the R/H aileron rig fixture in place hoping we would be able to put hydraulics on today and start some of the ops and leak checks. We ran into a little delay on this as we need to make another hydraulic line. Hopefully we'll start hydraulics Tuesday.

David
WHF Maint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:03 pm 

I pulled the nose gear tonight and managed to clear another squawk or two. Here's a few photos of the noe gear removal.

David
WHF Maint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:27 pm 

Accomplished a little bit today. Spent some time making a few hydraulic lines. Still have 2 more to make. When I got home to my shop, I painted the overhauled nose gear. Temps dropping up here so that will slow the drying a bit. Looks like we'll be able to start hydraulic ops checks Thursday. I'll put electrical power on tomorrow for the first time in a month or so and do some checks. Only one new photo for tonight.

David
WHF Maint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:02 pm 

I worked mostly on the nose gear tonight. Originally I thought I would be able to leave the old bushings in the trunion and re-use them, But after cleaning it became apparent they nneded to be changed. The scoring and scuffing can be seen in this picture. The gouges were pretty deep.

The old nose gear showed the same signs of scoring and gouging after cleaning it as well.

I installed new bushings in the trunion and got it cleaned up prior to installing the strut leg.

Here's one of 2 new bushings installed.

I lubed everything with grease and installed the strut assembly. I put the rotating collar on and hooked up the linkage which turns the nose wheel 90 degrees when retracting into the wheel well. Here's a picture of the collar and new linkage. I still need to fine tune the linkage to get the nose wheel straight when the gear is extended.

And finally, here's tonights work with the strut installed and the collar nut torqued.

Tomorrow I'll work on rigging and installing the remaining components so we can swing the gear this weekend. Electrical checks went well yesterday as we applied ground power for the first time in about 2 months. We checked things like the lights and instruments to make sure they worked and that we could keep power on safely after having all the wiring loose in the nose for the oxygen bottle removal.

David
WHF Maint

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 22  Next