Switch to full style
A place where restoration project-type threads can go to avoid falling off the main page in the WIX hangar. Feel free to start threads on Restoration projects and/or warbird maintenance here. Named in memoriam for Gary Austin, a good friend of the site and known as RetroAviation here. He will be sorely missed.
Post a reply

F86 Annual Inspection Photos

Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:39 pm

I don't know how many of you will be interested in seeing some pictures of our F86 going through its annual, but I thought I would post a few every now and then sharing what we get to enjoy working on and flying.

Tail section removed.
Tailpipe removed.
View looking directly at the turbine wheel.

WHF Maint
David

Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:48 pm

How is that tail section attached? And how long does it take to remove it ? Thanks Carl

Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:01 pm

It's attached with 4 large shouldered bolts. You can barely make out the fittings on the airframe side in the third photo. I'll get some up close shots of the attach fittings and post them. It took me about 2 hours to take it apart by myself.
David

Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:06 pm

I am salivating all over my keyboard now!......That is just such a beautiful jet. Thanks for the pix. I can sleep VERY happy tonight seeing that and 2 F-16's today. Sweet!!

Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:16 pm

Well I certainly won't be able to keep up with the incredible work Gary Austin does on Ol 927 and this forum, but I'll try to do updates and answer questions as best I can.
Thanks
WHF Maint
David

Visit our website for more photos and information about our foundation.
www.warbirdheritagefoundation.org

sgbsdgb

Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:50 pm

Cool pics David, keep 'em coming!

Dont do this...

Trey

Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:10 pm

Four bolts? That's it? :shock: Wow. How do you disconnect the control cables to the tail surfaces?

Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:01 am

Chris Brame wrote:Four bolts? That's it? :shock: Wow. How do you disconnect the control cables to the tail surfaces?

You might be surprised at how many "vital" surfaces on an aircraft are attached like this. The T-38 horizontal stab goes on the jet the same way, and still managed to take the Gs we threw at it no problemo.

The F-15 wing is actually attached via four bolts that are about the size of your fist...it handles 9Gs and up to 81,000# and hasn't lost a wing yet (except that Israeli one lost to a midair....).

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:36 am

Chris Brame wrote:Four bolts? That's it? :shock:

I guess that's why the term "Jesus bolt" carries such weight especially on rotorwing...

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:19 am

David, is it normal to have to take the tail section off for the annual inspection, or did y'all have some other work you needed to get done with the engine this year? Seems like a fairly simple process and gives you a good look at everything, but I just curious if you have to do that every year.

Gary

Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:57 am

We take the tail off every year and also pull the engine. It's almost impossible to work on the accessories that are located on the front of the engine. We can give the whole engine a good inspection and disassemble the front end to check or change the hydraulic pumps and inspect or replace the starter. I'll post some photos when we pull the engine.
The flight control cables have sort of a quick disconnect just forward of where the fuselage splits. There are three cables and three hydraulic lines on each side.

David

Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:29 am

How hard is it to reconnect the cables?

Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:05 am

Great stuff! That is one beautiful bird.

Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:54 am

There are only 4 relatively small bolts holding on the tail to the fuselage of the Huey. Especially considering the stresses from the anti-torque rotor.

The "Jesus nut" looks kind of small to be holding the whole rotor system to the mast.

Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:20 am

Chris Brame wrote:Four bolts? That's it? :shock: Wow. How do you disconnect the control cables to the tail surfaces?

Hey Chris,

It doesn't take much to hold alot of aircraft parts on. :lol: :lol: When I worked for the airlines, it would surprise you to know that there only THREE bolts that hold a JT8 on the mounts of a DC-9 or 727. And, take this into consideration, picture a Boeing 747, and then take ONE engine and nose cowl assembly, remove the reverser's and core cowls and you have anywhere from between 12,000 and 14,000 lbs per engine on each position. Now, all it takes to hold those engine on the pylons is 5 (FIVE) bolts to hold that weight on the pylon. And they aren't really big bolts. Now consider this, all that weight plus thrust is held on to the airframe by FOUR, hollow pins.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread, but I figured it was somewhat relevant to how airplanes are "put together" and how the Sabre's tail is held on.

Paul
Post a reply