Switch to full style
A place where restoration project-type threads can go to avoid falling off the main page in the WIX hangar. Feel free to start threads on Restoration projects and/or warbird maintenance here. Named in memoriam for Gary Austin, a good friend of the site and known as RetroAviation here. He will be sorely missed.
Post a reply

Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:57 pm

The original packard merlins were a satin/matte black. Not gloss and not purely flat. I've got an orignal packard -9 in my C model and it's pretty neat. Still has the original hardware on the bottom end. Pete Regina found it in a box in NOS condition in the late 70's.

update

Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:20 pm

Today is Tues Dec. 12. The fuel pump was located and installed, I have not heard if Ray or Tim got to run the engine yet. Now we are waiting on another battery. I tried a small one at only 38lbs, and it started the engine when warm, but we weren't sure about out in the cold. So I ordered one size up, which is 53 lbs and may require some cg adjustment. If and when it is ready, I don't look forward to flying it home weather wise. Our weather is now great for skiing or building snowmen, but global warming has gone elsewhere.
Maybe I could talk Howard into picking it up for me, but he is kind of like a Ghila Monster and becomes sluggish if temps drop below 70.

Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:13 pm

Bill and Jim,
Lone Star's Hurricane's Merlin is dull gray with a big red block letter 'JRS 'badge on the left side. Seems like TE392's is kind of an urp green, but I culd be wrong. I haven't had much involvement with that a/c. We have a Merlin display engine on the floor that Merlin researcher David Birch in the UK says was made by General Mtrs that is screaming glossy bright red. Don't know if its a rebuild, an empty shell or an old beater that was cleaned up.

Doug Ratchford.

Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:28 pm

A friend of mine has the first Merlin 224 series built (according to Dave Birch) in a crate, it is painted a semi-gloss black.

delay

Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:50 pm

We received the battery which was back ordered. Tim returned from Christmas vacation and was about to install it. We even have some nice blue skies and sun, but now Tim has something like the flu. So another delay. I hope I am young enough to remember how to fly it when the Spitfire is finally ready. In the meantime skiing is fabulous.

May get t fly

Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:52 pm

It is now Sunday Jan. 13. The snow has finally taken a break, and the sun is out. Yesterday I had a great ski day, and today I am going to fly over to the front range and hopefully fly the Spitfire Monday. The annual is complete and it has been run up, but the weather has not allowed a flight. I am not looking forward to flying home in 25 degree weather with no heat! I was so current in Oct, now I am a little rusty.

success

Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:21 pm

Danged if I ain't flew. Finally perfect blue sky, sunny weather, and temps above freezing. I did two flights, a stall, couple of rolls, and two landings, so I seem to remember how to fly. It has been 2 1/2 months getting this annual done. Nice to be back in the air, if the weather stays nice one more day I plan on a flight back to Aspen tommorow.

Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:50 pm

Squadron Leader Skipper: How many hours in Spits?
Simon: Ten and a half, sir.
Squadron Leader Skipper: Let's make it *eleven*, before *Jerry* has you for *breakfast!*
Pilot Officer Archie: Spring chicken to sugar in one easy lesson.

Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:56 am

b29flteng wrote:Squadron Leader Skipper: How many hours in Spits?
Simon: Ten and a half, sir.
Squadron Leader Skipper: Let's make it *eleven*, before *Jerry* has you for *breakfast!*
Pilot Officer Archie: Spring chicken to sugar in one easy lesson.

I wonder if Bill (after going around b/c he forgot to lower his gear) ever had this exchange with his mechanic?

"Undercarriage handle a bit sticky was it sir?"

"Why yes, as a matter a fact it was!"

"Well I wouldn't tell the CO that."

Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:12 pm

"Bumps a daisy" :lol:

Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:12 pm

"Bumps a daisy, it's enough to make a grown man weep" :lol:

Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:41 pm

Bill, did you make it back to Aspen?
Snow is due here in Denver tonight.

back

Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:28 pm

Blue, got back about an hour ago, but by car. It was an easy drive, dry roads and not too heavy traffic. The weather had been forecast as sunny and I was hoping to fly the Spitfire back, it is at Longmont now. But as you know it was a little overcast this am, and the big problem was wind. It was gusting 28 -32knots on the ground at Boulder, with airmets for mod turbulence below 18,000. There were pilot reports of it so I gave up and drove. When I got to Aspen I stopped at the airport and checked the weather computer and there were continued pireps of moderate and some of severe turbulence. Wed looks mostly IMC, so I will wait a few days. Some warbird friends are in town so we will enjoy some skiing, and go back later.
Post a reply