Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sorry- the date in the last paragraph should read 2011 not 2001, that's the last mistake I'll make all year (Check the posting time)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:05 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

The Inspector wrote:
Boeing uses a special fuel tank primer that you can't get! It's identified by its own 'in house' code, same with the sealant which is different from the environmental seal used outside the tanks. And it's a very long way from PRO SEAL.
Do the Boeing Material Specs (BMS) have a Qualified Procurement List (QPL) at the end of the spec like the Douglas (DMS) specs do? That should indicate the supplier part number so the buyers can procure that material from the vendor. It is probably bought to a BMS but more than likely still has a supplier part number, especially if there is more than one supplier qualified to that BMS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:04 am 
BANNED/ACCOUNT SUSPENDED

[quote="The Inspector"]Cadmium reacts with titanium and causes it to decompose on a granular level often refered to as poisioning, it will eat through a Ti fastener and cause the head or nut to fall off (that became a HUGE ISSUE on the B-1A prototype when the boron backbone retainer bolts all started raining down into the weapons bays because of using cad plated washers on the 7/8's bolts, everyones tool box was gone through and ANY cad plated tool went out to the car rightnow!!)

I have lots of Titanium fasteners.. Are you saying I should use stainless washers and nut plates... No cad plated with Titanium.

Cad plated tools? What do they do? will the plating come off the tool ?

The AKZO rep I spoke to at the Paris airshow did say they had new militry enviro freindly paints but some of the old were still avialiable..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:37 pm 
BANNED/ACCOUNT SUSPENDED

[quote="bdk"][quote="The Inspector"]Boeing uses a special fuel tank primer that you can't get! It's identified by its own 'in house' code, same with the sealant which is different from the environmental seal used outside the tanks. And it's a very long way from PRO SEAL.[/quote]Do the Boeing Material Specs (BMS) have a Qualified Procurement List (QPL) at the end of the spec like the Douglas (DMS) specs do? That should indicate the supplier part number so the buyers can procure that material from the vendor. It is probably bought to a BMS but more than likely still has a supplier part number, especially if there is more than one supplier qualified to that BMS.[/quote]

are you using ( Fuel resistant) FR primer? What type?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:43 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Please send me a PM next week and I'll see if I can find a manufacturer's name and part number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Since I'm just a contractor I'm not 'in' the Boeing system and have no access to BPS (Boeing process specs) but we did use a conforming sealant at BFG, I just cannot recall the manufacturers name-the knees go second but whats the first thing again?

BDK thank you for getting in this, it's folks like you and Asterperious who are a huge help in keeping the info flowing around the system! Information is of no use if you just want to sit on it!

I would keep cad plated washers away from Ti just as a good practice, the big hats @ Rockwell didn't bother to tell us as the great unwashed why they rejected any cad/Ti interface but I know they had a very good reason (see my recounting of the backbone support fixture 7/8 bolts with Ti washers) , they just sent down a lighting bolt from the cartoon shop (Engineering) saying 'do thee thus and question us not!'

Before anyone tries to 'zap' me over my last post of 2007, it was sent @ 2336 PST local on 12/31/07 I hope eveyone had a great holiday season and the coming year is nothing short of spectacular for all-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:14 pm 
BANNED/ACCOUNT SUSPENDED

I know alot of stuff comes from Henkel. Plese search under aerospace.. you'll see liquid shim sealant ect..

http://www.henkel.com/cps/rde/xchg/henk ... us&param1=