Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:39 pm 
Probationary Member

I need to top up the fluid in my compass. It is standard British type, Spitfire, I think the model may be P II. It is the large round one that mounts under the instrument panel. Does anyone know for certain what fluid to use? Most American ones use alcohol, but I seem to recall that a previous one I had may have used a thin oil, I am not sure. By the way it may look antique, but we have found the original one works very well. We tried a modern type but never could get it swung correctly. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:38 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I believe all aircraft compasses use naphta. You can find it in any hardware store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:18 am 

Why not use compass fluid? You don't have to reinvent the wheel by trying different compounds that may damage your instrument.

Compass fluid is available at many parts distribution houses, ie, Aircraft Spruce, Chief Aircraft, Wag Aero, etc.

And for clarification, servicing the compass fluid is not preventive maintenance in the FAR's.

Post subject: fluid
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:02 pm 
Probationary Member

Sky, that sounds great, but what is in "compass fluid", achohol or kerosene, naptha, etc. ? I don't want to mess up the instrument. Is American compass fluid the same as British? All hydraulic fluid is not the same and not compatable, so -----. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:32 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Don't know?????? Maybe someone out here can answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:44 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Did a google search for aircraft compass fluid. Here's one thing I found.

"The case is filled with an acid-free kerosene that dampens oscillations and lubricates the pivot assembly. The pivot assembly is spring-mounted to dampen aircraft vibrations so that the compass heading is more legible."

I found many places that sell refill kits, wether they are compatable with a Britsh manufactured compass, I don't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:44 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Did a google search for aircraft compass fluid. Here's one thing I found.

"The case is filled with an acid-free kerosene that dampens oscillations and lubricates the pivot assembly. The pivot assembly is spring-mounted to dampen aircraft vibrations so that the compass heading is more legible."

I found many places that sell refill kits, wether they are compatable with a Britsh manufactured compass, I don't know.

Post subject: fluid
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:03 pm 
Probationary Member

Thanks guys, I think I worked on one of these years ago and what was inside seemed like a thin oil, not alcohol. It probably was kerosene.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:55 pm 

I think that kerosene has a tendency to yellow with age, I saw a similar question on the Stearman Restorers Association website with answer of mineral spirits. The compass fluid bottle label says it is petroleum distillates. If in doubt of the actual contents, check with the compass fluid supplier for the MSDS sheet. As for actual compass requirements, a check with the pertinent instrument manual (if available) or your local instrument shop should narrow the answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:41 pm 

Hi Bill,

I have British Avro biplanes fitted with the P compass and understand your concerns, I have just checked British Air Publication A.P. 1743, Vol 1, Section 1, Chapter 2, issued October 1941 (what else!!).

This publication deals specifically with the maintenance of the P type compasses. The instructions are to fill the compass with "a mixture of alcohol and distilled water". Unfortunately, the proportions of alcohol to water is not specified, however the notes do say that proportion is indicated by the specific gravity of the mixture and that this must be measured. There is a table which gives the Stores ref number for compass liquids (sp.gr .81 - .96) plus the Stores ref number for distilled water. I can copy all this stuff for you if you wish. Howard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:32 pm 

I've used Airpath Compass Fluid for years in my various P11 and P12 compasses with never a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:26 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

When I was refilling a compass many years back, I contacted Silva, the compass company. They told me to use clear lamp oil- as in oil lamp. It is available at most hardware stores. Don't get the scented stuff- nobody cares how your compass smells.

Robbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:18 pm 

Bill Greenwood wrote:
I need to top up the fluid in my compass. It is standard British type, Spitfire, I think the model may be P II. It is the large round one that mounts under the instrument panel. Does anyone know for certain what fluid to use? Most American ones use alcohol, but I seem to recall that a previous one I had may have used a thin oil, I am not sure. By the way it may look antique, but we have found the original one works very well. We tried a modern type but never could get it swung correctly. Thanks

Bill,
Perhaps you know this, but a compass is not an owner repairable part. Nor is an A&P allowed to work on one, other than R&R'ing it. It must be sent to a certified instrument repair station.
Although I'd wager that there are about a million un-logged compass repairs.

Post subject: compass
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:12 pm 
Probationary Member

This owner may contact the instrument shop, but I don't have time to have it sit on their shelf for a month. This is not just a display item that makes the cockpit look authentic, this is the one I fly with. Perhaps the good elves will come in one night and top it off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:55 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

We hear nothing! We see nothing! :wink: