Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:22 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The DFW Wing has decided to restore our B-32 turret. The turret is a Sperry model A-17 ball turret which was installed on either the nose or tail position on the B-32 Dominator. Only 4 complete examples are known to currently exist in the world, one at the Smithsonian Garber facility, one at the NMUSAF, one in the hands of a private individual, and the one at the DFW Wing of the CAF. These turrets were equipped with 2 AM-2 .50 caliber machine guns, used a computing gunsight, and were electrically powered with a manual hand-crank reversions for both elevation and traverse. We are hoping to restore the turret with replica machine guns and have freed all but the traversing mechanism to allow for free manual movement of the turret. The idea is to fabricate a rolling stand with which to display the turret and potentially allow visitors to climb into the turret and experience what it was like to sit inside one. We are looking for support in locating an erection and maintenance manual for this turret so we can determine exactly what we are missing and 2 replicate AM-2 machine guns. The information we have at this time indicates that the sleeves on the AM-2s were of the tapered type (I found a picture for example of what I'm talking about. I'll post it later).

Anyway, we are hoping that the WIX community would not only be able to help us locate parts and information about this turret, but also would like to watch the restoration process. To start, here are some pictures of the turret as it is now:

Overview

Right Side

Left Side

Outer Right Side

Heater Control Unit?

Oxygen Regulator

Oxygen Gauges

Control & Gunsight Pedistal

Right ammunition feed drum

Gun clamps

Maintenance Panel with some controls and adjustments

Thanks for looking! I will be posting regular updates as we move forward. If you have any information or would like to make a donation, please post here or send me a PM and I will give you the information.

Post subject: interesting post!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:07 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I find these type of threads very interesting and wish your group all the best with the restoration of this rare turett! :) The heater unit would be from the gunners heated flying suit.

________

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:18 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

We have some brand-spankin'-new heater control units here at CAF HQ, if you want one for your project. Just let me know.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:29 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

A noble and very worthwhile project! These look great in the hangar and don't really take up any airplane space.

This is a great site on aircraft gunnery and aircraft guns in case you haven't already seen it:

http://www.liberatorcrew.com/AircraftGunnery.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:04 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Gary, we'll be in contact for sure. :)

BDK - Thanks for that link. I don't know that the "adapter" they show at the front is the right one though. Here's the barrel end that I found a picture of that looks like the one on the end of the other B-32 turrets -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

what a rare gem that will be!!! any clue as to the lucky private owner?? what condition is his??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:04 am 

Very nice turret! This will be an interesting project to follow.

Regards,

Last edited by Mike Berry on Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:53 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:20 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

tom d. friedman wrote:
what a rare gem that will be!!! any clue as to the lucky private owner?? what condition is his??

Here's the website of the gentleman who owns the 4th turret-

http://www.depot41.com/B32.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:54 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Really cool project... can't wait to see more of your work. On another note, while it's not exactly for a ball turret, I do have some B-32 fuel gauges if anyone's interested.

Cheers,
Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:59 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Gary, I don't know if anyone's contacted you yet, but I was told that we'll be arranging for pickup of the heater control unit(s) at Winter Staff Conference as we'll have people out there whom can bring them to us. Thanks again!

I don't have any new pictures of the restoration process as there hasn't been much more progress other than continued general cleaning of the turret. We've had a stand donated to us and it was to be delivered yesterday, but unfortunately it didn't arrive. Hopefully it will arrive today or sometime this week and I'll get pictures during the week or next weekend.

We are really despirate for the maintenance & erection manual(s) for this turret so we can find out what's missing before we really go a whole lot further. If anyone knows where we can find one, please contact me via PM or e-mail chris at flygma.com. We need this to do an inventory of what parts we have so we can find out what we need and make sure that when we start disassembling the parts for restoration that we make sure to know where they go back. :)

Thanks for your continued interest in this project!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:52 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

Ten-four, Good Buddy. I'll have a heater control here ready and waiting.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

CAPFlyer wrote:
We are really despirate for the maintenance & erection manual(s) for this turret so we can find out what's missing before we really go a whole lot further. If anyone knows where we can find one, please contact me via PM or e-mail chris at flygma.com. We need this to do an inventory of what parts we have so we can find out what we need and make sure that when we start disassembling the parts for restoration that we make sure to know where they go back. :)

I concur with your comment about the manual being an invaluable tool for the inventory of parts--both present and missing.

When it comes to reassembly though, I feel that one's own photographs taken are just as valuable, if not more so.

The only Martin 250CE turret project I ever tackled had already been mostly disassembled, and the person responsible had abandoned the project. Thankfully, many pics had been taken at various stages of its disembowelment; definitely resulting in a higher level of peace and harmony between me and the project.

Lesson: Take pics. Lots of pics--from lots of angles. Then take a few more. You simply cannot have enough of the original assembly. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:32 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Oh believe me, we'll be taking plenty of pictures. That's something we always do on maintenance at the DFW wing, especially on something not specifically diagramed within the manuals (and even some that are but we've had problems in the past with getting them to fit back together right afterwards).

I'm sure anyone who's worked on airplanes knows about parts on airplanes that if you don't disassemble and reassemble them in a certain order they won't fit. The pictures certainly help remember what that order is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

CAPFlyer wrote:
Oh believe me, we'll be taking plenty of pictures. That's something we always do on maintenance at the DFW wing...

I already counted on that! My comments were really intended for those who are tuning into this thread who aren't familiar with the process. I should have clarified! :oops:

Keep up the good work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:59 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

No, I understood, I meant to put a smiley at the end of the first sentence and forgot. :) :)

Anyway, I think part of why these threads are even possible is because of this exact tool of photographing all procedures to help with the reassembly of the parts after we're done gives us the opprotunity to also share what and how things are done. Hopefully with the continued conversion to digital photography, we'll see more threads like those here. :)

Anyway, back to the restoration! :)