Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, thanks for the updates, Dave. I'm close enough to drive over for the launch of either aircraft, so if you think of it please post the days/times here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:19 pm 

I'll try to shoot you an e-mail a few days in advance. The Skyraider is ready to head home after we went through the hydraulic system. We're now just waiting on good weather and pilot schedules. The A4 is still waiting for the Jet Cal run so we can be sure the engine is performing as it should. Today we jacked the airplane and did multiple gear swings and started to troubleshoot a fuel quantity problem. The Skyhawk looks like it's ready to come home. Soon I hope! I'll post some pictures I've taken over the past few weeks of work on the Scooter later this week.

Thanks,
David
WHF Maint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:10 pm 

Sorry for the delay in updating this thread after the jetcal run. We're getting very close to bringing the Skyhawk home under it's own power. I'll update what we have to finish after updating how the engine run went. A big thank you to Scott, Ben and Josh for doing the run for us. It did make things go faster which was a plus due to the nice fall weather we had.
Sean and I had the airplane outside fueled and ready to go for the run when the guys showed up.

After checking the throttle rigging and setting up the Jetcal we attempted an engine start, but had no engine rotation. I guess it is kind of funny now, but at the time it was a little frustrating. We needed to get this run done as we brought the crew up from Texas to do this. Time to troubleshoot the starter probe. It was spinning the air turbine, but not the shaft that connects to the engine. We were pretty sure we sheared the splines, but didn't know where they were located exactly. It seemed like eternity as we searched for the spline adapter. Always seems that way when you put the pressure on yourself. We finally found them and sure enough it had sheared.

We were lucky enough to have a spare attached to the starter probe and were back together in no time. The next attempt to start went well until the huffer cart flamed out. Once again luck was on our side as the engine was into the start far enough that it didn't matter at this point.

Preliminary checks were done such as oil pressure and idle engine parameters. Ben taxied the Scooter to the tie downs and we tied the tail down for the runs.

Josh did the minor adjustments we needed. Here he is making an adjustment to the tailpipe clamp to cool the engine down a little.

The last part of the run entailed several throttle advances to full power to verify power settings. This is probably when we shook Zack a bit at the museum. After these accelerations the guys were finished and proceded to idle for cool down time before shutting it down.

When all was said and done, we have a very good engine. A few small items need our attention such as a small fuel leak at the fuel pump and a couple of minor hydraulic leaks. We'll be headed up North this Monday to fix the hydraulic leaks and work on rigging the canopy. The fuel leak will require some parts from the engine shop in california. Our plan is to try to bring the Scooter home around Nov 20-22 time frame. I'll try to update before then so any local Wixers can stop by and hopefully see some air under her wings.

David
WHF Maint
www.warbirdheritagefoundation.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:12 pm 
WRG Staff Photographer & WIX Brewmaster

Great to see things coming together. I can't wait for the news she took to the air.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:36 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

OK, so did I miss it? Are you home yet? Sure was a beautiful November weekend here in sunny Southern Wisconsin. 55 degrees in November??? There's that global warming for ya. :)

Seriously Dave, what's the latest?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:18 pm 

Hi Scott and fellow Scooter Fans.
Our A4 has not made it home yet. We officially have it finshed as of this past Saturday. We have our ferry permit in hand and are looking to try for next week, specifically Monday the 30th. The fuel pump leak is fixed and Paul took it for a high speed taxi down runway 18. It sure wanted to get airborne and in a hurry. We're going to chase it home with the Buckeye and get some pictures as well as video.
Stay tuned!
David
WHF Maint

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:26 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Here's to a saafe flight Gentlemen. Deviate from your flight plan just a bit to the KUES area aand I get a fly over! Can't wait to see the photos and video.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

...standing by...

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:18 pm 

Hi dave,

Great to hear that its coming along... So is the skyraider back down to Waukegan now?
And are you still thinking of flying the A-4 monday? Very happy to hear things are coming
together!

take care,

henning

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:14 am 

Hi Henning,
The Skyraider is home and is currently undergoing it's condition inspection. It will be down for an extended period as we are giving the airplane the attention it has long needed. We are currently planning for Monday as our primary day and are open the rest of the week. I'm just now starting to watch the forecast to see what the week will look like. We are so looking forward to having the Skyhawk home. We could have trailered it home quite a while ago, but our goal has always been to fly it home if at all possible. The Scooter belongs in the air.
David
WHF Maint

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:32 am 

David

Can we get a maintenance report on spad? Did I miss what happened at KOSH to cause the delay home? We know you are not busy :D !

Thanks

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:06 am 

Hi Steve,
The Skyraider made an emergency landing at Osh on Wednesday during the convention with a total hydraulic failure. The pilot was able to get the gear down and make a safe landing. We found that the lower dive brake cylinder had failed causing the loss of hydraulic fluid. The cylinder end casting fracturd into 2 pieces. We found all of the parts in the lower dive brake door. Subsequently, we had to overhaul both hydraulic pumps and secure the dive brakes to fix our problem. While we were waiting on parts the condition inspection ran out. We were able to get a ferry permit and then we had to wait on weather and pilot schedules to bring the Spad home. We're opening up the airplane now for inspection and have found it needs some serious attention to details. I wouldn't consider it having been unsafe, but we plan on cleaning up a bunch of minor squawks. Lately the airplane has been living up to it's name of "Bad News".
David
WHF Maint

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:27 pm 

Sabremech wrote:
Hi Steve,
Lately the airplane has been living up to it's name of "Bad News".
David
WHF Maint

Naw, just being a typical Skyraider :P :P :P

http://www.heritageflight.org
http://www.bravo369.org

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:15 am 

I've thought about putting some tape on it making it "good news" until the inspection is over. Still a pretty cool airplane. It looks like we may be trying for Tuesday next week to get the Scooter airborne. Still a little iffy as the weather forecasters can't seem to get it right. I'll try to update after a few days and the forecast is a bit more definite.

David
WHF Maint

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sabremech wrote:
...as the weather forecasters can't seem to get it right....

My dog asks me to stop it raining at walk time. His faith is nice, but he's usually disappointed too...

"Switch on the underwater landing lights"
Emilio Largo, Thunderball.

www.VintageAeroWriter.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next