Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:37 am 

We've identified about half a dozen hydraulic leaks so far. Hope to get gear swings done this coming Saturday and I imagine we'll find a few more. Planning on having the engine out within 2 weeks and getting those components out for overhaul. Once we have that done we'll go after the hydraulic leaks and closing up the fuel tank.
David
WHF Maint
www.warbirdheritagefoundation.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:58 pm 

A quick update to our progress. We'll be headed up to Oshkosh tomorrow to work on the inspection some more. We've decided to complete the inspection instead of getting a ferry permit. It only makes sense to take the airplane apart once instead of doing it again when we get home. This may take a little longer, but we'l have an airworthy airplane and be ready for the airshow season.
Here's a couple of pictures of the nose gear shock absorber disassembled in my shop waiting for reassembly with new seals. I was hoping to install the nose gear tomorrow, but found we had a different lower bearing than what was shown in the IPC. Most likely there was a change made by the Navy and isn't reflected in my manual. I only lack one more seal and I think I located it today, so I now intend on installing it next weekend.

David
WHF Maint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:15 pm 

Work progressed this past weekend as we continued to work off the inspection and find squawks. Here's a picture of the throttle linkage to the fuel control we need to remove and send out for test and repair.

In this picture you can barely make out one hydraulic pump, green item upper left and the magneto generator, the gray part below the hydraulic pump.

The nose wheel is in my shop to be disassembled and inspected as well as a new tire installed. Even though the bearings were well packed with grease, moisture got in and pitted the bearings and the races. We'll have to get new bearings and races before we can put this wheel assmbly back on. I'm going to assemble another wheel just to get the gear swings done and the airplane back on the ground to pull the tail and remove the engine. We'll put the overhauled wheel and tire on later.

David
WHF Maint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:33 am 

:)
Just a bump! I'm starting to experience withdrawal symptoms..........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:59 pm 

Here's an update for all the A4 fans out there. This past weekend we managed to get the wing fuel tanks sealed and closed out, nose strut reinstalled and serviced, brakes installed and old main wheels installed temporarily. We then did a gear swing to see if every thing still works as advertised. The swing went well with only one problem, there was one hydraulic leak that turned into an arterial bleed as it sprayed a bunch of 5606 around. Just a little mess to clean up and another leak to fix. Here's some pictures of the progress. Lighting wasn't optimal for pictures, so my apologies ahead of time.

David
WHF Maint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:11 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Great stuff David! Can't wait to see her fly. Better yet, can't wait to fly off her wing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:16 pm 

Yesterday's focus was on removing the tail section of the airplane to get to the engine and get it ready to be removed. Lot's of little challenges to overcome to get it done. I'll say this tail section is not as easy to remove as the F86"s tail. Much larger mounting bolts and more of them.
Thanks Paul and looking forward to warmer weather and another great flying season.
On to the photos!

David
WHF Maint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:46 pm 

Sabremech wrote:
I'll say this tail section is not as easy to remove as the F86"s tail. Much larger mounting bolts and more of them.

Thats due to the tailhook and that a Sabre isn't designed to land on a boat, if I had to make an educated guess?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:44 pm 

Hi David, great project! - and thanks for the very interesting thread- glad its not one of the newer A-4's too- that hump really spoiled its lines!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:12 pm 

Thanks for looking and checking on our progress. It seems a little slow I'm sure, but there's a lot to do. Our intent is to fly her out of Oshkosh as Airshow ready. We're not looking to get a ferry permit as I was first thinking, but have decided to do all the work in Oshkosh and press on flying from there. I'm in the process of updating the inspection program and am glad to say that our FAA inspector is just absolutely fantastic in regards to this project. I'll release the details of our program when we are finished and have it approved.
It's my understanding that we will have the oldest airworthy A4 Skyhawk flying. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this as I'd like to know.
Check back for more updates and I'll try to post more pictures of the specifics of what we're working on.

David
WHF Maint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:47 pm 

great pics as always
B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:36 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

David, it's certainly older than any of the TA's flying but it all boils down to BuNos on the L models being rebuilt around the country. They are remanufactured Cs , I don't think any actual B models are flying or available for restoration to flight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:50 am 

I'm surprised it didn't need re-wiring- unless i missed that bit!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:10 am 

The wiring in the airplane is in great shape. We spend a good amount of time inspecting the wiring and securing it to todays standards because of the aging aircraft issues.
David
WHF Maint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:06 pm 

I'm having computer issues and have had to go to my backup system. I don't have all the software I'm use to having on this computer, so I don't have any pictures I can share tonight. I do have pictures, but I'll try to get them swapped over from my sick computer and posted later. We primarily worked on getting the engine components removed that need to be run through the shop. We removed both hydraulic pumps, oil pump, fuel pump, and magneto generator. I'll get these shipped out this week. The last items we need off the engine are the fuel distributers. Looks like we won't be heading North this coming weekend as I'll be working the weekend at my full time job. Stay tuned for more photos and details of our progress.
David
WHF Maint

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next