Switch to full style
A place where restoration project-type threads can go to avoid falling off the main page in the WIX hangar. Feel free to start threads on Restoration projects and/or warbird maintenance here. Named in memoriam for Gary Austin, a good friend of the site and known as RetroAviation here. He will be sorely missed.
Post a reply

Salvage

Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:58 pm

Hey all:
If an airplane is known to be in a foreign country (arab country), :wink: and it's wanted to be salvaged. What is the process for this? Writting the nation's consulate, or embasy? Does the country have to issue salvage rights, or can it just be taken? What is involved (if?) when salvage rights are granted? I'd like to know what the process is. Just curious. -PBY 8) :supz: :drink3: :spit2

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:03 pm

Is it sitting on a beach?? :wink:

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:08 pm

I don't know 8)

Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:14 pm

I don't know! Is there one sitting on a beach? I'm just giving an example.

Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:49 am

I was thinking of something like this...

Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:24 pm

So how would I go about obtaining salvage rights? What is involved in a salvage? How much cost is involved in salvage?

Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:30 pm

Just thinking out loud here.... First I would think you need some sort of agent in the country that knows the legal system. Things like can a foriegner buy an abandoned aircraft particularly an ex military aircraft? An agent could help with transportation, cranes, labor etc. What government departments have responsibility for such a thing? Is it owned by whoever owns the property it rests on? Is there an established title to the aircraft?

If you are thinking of the aircraft as abandoned property of a third party then you might want to look into insurance companies that might actually hold the title to the aircraft and might want a piece of the pie. I think that most salvage law is based on maritime law. It is not true that if you recover a wrecked or abandoned ship that you now own it. It still belongs to whoever owned it or whoever succeeded them whether that is an heir, company, insurance carrier or government. Is it really abandoned? Might someone else hold title to the aircraft from an abortive attempt to recover it? Nothing like doing someone else's leg work only to have them legally seize the thing once you get it home.

Then there is baksheesh...can you afford to bribe the right people, do you or your agent even know who the right people are? Is your agent of the right tribe or political party to get things done?

Lots of countries have noticed how ex WW2 aircraft are recovered as junk from one country and are then sold for millions in another country. The restoration process may be lost on them. They figure if you want it you will pay top dollar just like those crazy rich guys in the U.S. or U.K. Other countries realize that even if there participation in WW2 was to serve as a battle ground for other nations that era was formative in the life of the nation and now they don't want to see all that junk sold even if they don't know what to do with it.

Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:17 pm

Its sad to see that particular aircraft in its current condition, it was just a few years ago I believe that the wing was still properly attached. I hope its recovered.

Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:03 am

Negotiations have been underway with the appropriate government for recovery of parts from that particular aircraft for some time now.

Regards

Mark Pilkington

Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:37 am

Who would want that thing? Can anything even be reused on it? I would think there would be bigger and better thing to catch than a dinosaur of a thing like that..

Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:47 am

A2C wrote:Who would want that thing? Can anything even be reused on it? I would think there would be bigger and better thing to catch than a dinosaur of a thing like that..
It's probably fair to say that the PBY Catalina hasn't entered the lists of valuable airframes. However, as a warbird, it's a good bet. I doubt we'll get to the level of PBY dataplate rebuilds like Spitfires and 109s, but it's going to continue to head in that direction.
Post a reply