Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: A75 vs. BT-13 brakes
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:04 pm 

I'm a new partner in a N2S-5 Stearman... still getting acquainted with the airplane and maintenance.

My understanding is that for many (or most) of the civilian A75's, the original mechanical brakes were converted to BT-13 hydraulic brakes. This is the case with my aircraft.

Is anyone familiar with this conversion? I assume that the caliper/piston is BT-13, but which aircraft does the wheel and lining combination come from?

In other words, when it's time for new brakes, are they BT-13 or Stearman linings (or are they interchangeable)?

Thanks in advance, Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:54 pm 

Tim,

Congratulations on being a new partner in a N2S-5 Stearman.

The 27-inch Vultee BT-13 Hayes type wheels and brakes are larger than the original Stearman Bendix wheels and brakes. The parts are not interchangeable. The conversion changed out the axles, wheels and brake assemblies as well as other parts. In many conversions the original master cylinders were changed out for automotive type master cylinders. Parts are available from several Stearman suppliers. Check the forum on the Stearman Restorers Association site for more discussion on brakes: http://www.stearman.net/

All the best on your new airplane.

Post subject: BT-13 wheels and brakes
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:47 pm 

I have a pair of 27 inch wheels and brakes for the BT-13 that should fill the bill for your Stearman needs. I do not have axles.
the wheels are 27 inch Hayes with used brake drum linings. the brakes are either old style single-band reversable brakes or more modern twin shoe brakes.
price is $200 per wheel, comes with a decent 4 fastner wheel cover.
thanks
Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:16 am 
The original Stearman brakes were hydraulic but the wheels were 24 inch. When most of them were converted to sprayers they got 27 inch wheels (handled the higher weight better, better on rough fields, plus the BT-13 type brake is just a better design). To put the bigger wheels and brakes on required changing the axles. Duster's and Sprayer's Supply in Chickisha OK have most everything you'll need when the time comes but alot of guys today are switching to Redline disc brakes (available from Air Repair (www.airrepairinc.com) who also stock just about everything you might need for your airplane.) The original Stearman brakes and the BT brakes are kinda finicky - you're forever adjusting and playing with them, but the Redlines have a really good reputation. I'm just about to order the Redline kit for my airplane.

By the way - there is an automotive type lining that will fit the BT brake shoes but NEVER use one. They'll heat, swell, seize the wheel, and you're upside down in the dirt faster than it took to read this sentence.

Dan

Post subject: Re: A75 vs. BT-13 brakes
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:56 am 

mrmoto i fully understand this thread is 10+ years old but asking by some stroke of luck do you still have the BT wheels laying around? If so im very interested.

Thanks
Sonny