Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: XP-82 project
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:11 pm 

I am doing research on the Aeroproducts Propellers used on the XP-82 with the Packard Merlin for a new restoration project.

While I am dreaming I thought I would inquire here if anyone had knowledge of any resources out there for fabricating blades for the elusive left hand propeller.

I know there are a growing number of craftsmen in places like New Zealand, Australia...even Russia.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I won't even bother to ask anyone where I could find a set!!!! (I'm sure the CAF would already have them if they were out there)

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:46 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Gary probably remembers the price, but Ham-Stan was more than willing to make the props, it would have just cost as much as 2 or 3 engines for each...

Post subject: XP-82 Rescued!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:21 pm 

Word is spreading, but in case it hasn't reached this site yet...

Thanks to the vision of Mr. Walter Soplata, a preserved XP-82 has been saved and transferred to a restoration facility. It will begin an immediate restoration, estimated for three years, to it's original configuration.

One of our largest hurdles will be the propellers. As soon as possible, and with permission of the project manager, I will submit photos of the recovery.

In the meantime, anyone knowing of parts or resources, please feel free to contact me.

Regards

Post subject: P-82
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:54 pm 

Please post the pics, this is one aircraft that I can't wait to see fly!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:59 pm 

I know we have all seen this picture before. It is the 3rd prototype of the series, and it just so happens to be our plane!

44-83887 was in storage at Walter Soplata's. Thanks Mr. Soplata for preserving these great planes. When I have pictures scanned of the project I will be certain to post them.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/F82_twin_mustang.jpg

Post subject: Re: P-82
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:03 pm 

pbeegle1 wrote:
Please post the pics, this is one aircraft that I can't wait to see fly!

By the way...how is your SBD? I remember when she went down near Deland, FL a few years ago when the engine had problems. Great job by the pilot saving the plane!

I haven't seen her since she was disassembled to be shipped back to Atlanta.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:48 am 

Do you need the "left hand" merlin as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:52 am 

vanguard wrote:
Do you need the "left hand" merlin as well?

I think we already have one, but if you know of any others please let me know. You never know when spares could come in handy!

Thanks!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:33 pm 

CAPFlyer wrote:
Gary probably remembers the price, but Ham-Stan was more than willing to make the props, it would have just cost as much as 2 or 3 engines for each...

Did you say something about Hamilton Standard being willing to reproduce the blades? If you have any more information about that we could use it. Currently we are researching having another manufacturer reproduce them , but it would simplify licensing if we could go straight to the source. It would be great if we could team up with other interested parties that needed a set to make a few of these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:22 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The CAF's P-82 has Hamilton Standard props (has the Allisons instead of Packards) and Ham-Stan was willing to build props for the plane but it would have been well into the 6-figures to do so per prop. Pacific Propeller has the rights to all of the Aeroproducts stuff as far as I'm aware, so they'd be the ones to talk to, but I doubt the price will be substantially less as most of the Aeroproducts stuff still flying is attached to Convairs (580s), P-3s, and C-130s and not pistons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:42 pm 

Thanks for the info. I believe that particular Ham Standard was the same as used on the H and K model P-51 (right side only of course), still it is working looking into. I was aware that both Hamilton Standard and Pacific Propeller had ownership of Aeroproducts patents, so I guess it is a matter of seeing who has the licensing rights.

It may not be totally original, but I think it would be more supportable maintenance wise in the long term to run a Hamilton Standard if it could be adapted.

Do you know anyone involved with the CAF project that might have knowledge of the contacts with Hamilton Standard? Who knows, perhaps we could team up and lower the production cost a little.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh, wow! Excellent news, but it raises a whole host of questions (for me anyway).

Concerning Walt Soplata's XP-82 remains, I had always understood that only one (of the twin) fuselages survived. Is that correct? Will a second fuselage be constructed from scratch?

Then CAPFlyer posted: The CAF's P-82 has Hamilton Standard props (has the Allisons instead of Packards)

But isn't that the other-way-round: That the CAF's Twin 'Stang mounts Packards instead of Allisons?

My apologies for all the questions. Exciting news any way you look at it! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:40 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

The CAF's P-82 definitely has the Merlin engines, NOT the Allisons (I see it every day, here at work). Hamilton Standard may have offered to build props in the past, but I'm pretty sure the latest discussions were with Hoffman Propeller, out of Germany.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:17 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Ahh, must've misunderstood. When I was at Midland 2 years ago, I was told that it was Ham-Stan that had been talked too.

And sorry about the engine mixup. There've been so many threads on the airplane with which one has what engine, that I can't seem to keep it straight which one the CAF's airplane has.

Post subject: XP-82 questions
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:07 pm 

First thanks for the great information.

Second...yes the was only one fuselage. It is my undrstanding that a fuselage, outer wing and both tail sections will be constructed by reverse engineering the available components and extensive use of microfiche. We are currently in the process of digitally converting microfiche.

The fuselage we do have has a completely intact cockpit area, minus instruments. We have both correct engines, radiators and landing gear.

The only major hurdle will be the propellers. Tom Reilly is leading the project and it is well funded. Tom has a history of restoring aircraft that others thought were write-offs. Look for an exclusive soon, I believe it will be in Warbirds International.

If one of you gentleman could tell me more about Hoffmen Propeller in Germany I would gtreatly appreciate it.

Thank you...and I should have a few pictures next week!