Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:26 pm 

Snap-on does make some pretty good tools, but they are very pricey IMHO. I have some Snap-On, but mostly I have Craftsman. I work on a military base and its hard to get the Snap-on guy to even come over because he knows he won't make a profit because of the 70% military discount. We have invited him over many times to our hanger but he leaves us hanging in the wind. The nice thing about Craftsman is if I break one of their tools I can simply walk into one of their many stores at my convience and get a new one for free under their lifetime warranty with no questions. 8) I even modifed some of their tools for doing specialty jobs. My old A&P instructor always said if you are not willing to modify your own tools to do specialty jobs then you are in the wrong business.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:16 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I have a little bit of everything, some snap on, Mac, Craftman, and alot of harbor frieght. As far as snap on, I have a broken wobble socket that I have been carrying around for over a year because I have not seen a snap on truck around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:57 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I have a wobble head 3/8" Snap-On ratchet I bought in 1977 and it's still the one I reach for. In the early 90's I had to have the grip replaced and the Strap on dealer acted really anal about it until enough people at the dealership complained to the point he lost his franchise. About 2000 it stripped a gear and the Snap-On rep at that time fixed it for me while I watched with a kit he had in stock on the truck.
I have some Mac because a good friend used to be a dealer but most of my automotive stuff is Craftsman. They have proven to be well made and durable and a good value for the money. However, the local s.h. Sears store has gotten stupid with me a couple of times on power tools and I will never own another Craftsman power tool and discourage my friends from owning them either.
My top box is an ancient Monkey Wards Power Craft. The bottom chest is a discontinued Craftsman model that was already discounted at the store and then it was seen to be bent from airhead schoolboy freight handling. My garage floor isn't level anyway so I made a deal on that sucker!
Dave, I've heard about your fried wrenches.

Post subject: Snap On tools
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:13 am 

You've heard that popular little ditty...

Sixteen tools and what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt.
St. Peter don't you call me,
'Cause I can't go.
I owe my soul to the Snap-On man.

Post subject: Tools
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:37 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I would go to sears and clean out the racks of quarter drive sockets every six months.When a craftsman socket goes missing I dont have a tendancy to throw myself on the floor and draw up into the fetal position like I would losing snapoff tools.Both are great tools I just dont like the idea of the tool man having more toys than me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:38 pm 

I use what ever works to get the job done to Keep em Flying!
Snap-on, Mac, Matco, Mastercraft etc. etc. etc.
But I do remember years ago as an apprentice in Toronto thinking, will i ever pay this Snap-On guy off!