Switch to full style
A place where restoration project-type threads can go to avoid falling off the main page in the WIX hangar. Feel free to start threads on Restoration projects and/or warbird maintenance here. Named in memoriam for Gary Austin, a good friend of the site and known as RetroAviation here. He will be sorely missed.
Post a reply

Wood Prop Refinishing

Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:17 pm

I'm looking for recommendations on a varnish, urethane, polyurethane, etc. to use when refinishing the wooden prop on my RV-6. Any brand/product suggestions?

Hopefully one of you Stearman or L-Bird guys can point me in the right direction...

Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:26 pm

Careful with that if you don't know what you are doing.

Remember that the final balancing on a wood prop is done with the varnish. I'd recommend sending it out to a professional. The shop I work at sends out every prop that needs work.

Guy Watson operates a prop shop out of the Wings of History Museum in San Martin C.A. http://www.wingsofhistory.org Guy has been hand making wood props for along time. He started out working for the late Ole Fahlin. He also flew P-38s in the Pacific.

Guy always wanted to teach me how to make props but at 15 I was more interested in chasing girls and getting into trouble. I still kick myself.

I'd at least give a call, and seriously consider sending it to him. What you get back will be a safe prop.
Post a reply