Switch to full style
A place where restoration project-type threads can go to avoid falling off the main page in the WIX hangar. Feel free to start threads on Restoration projects and/or warbird maintenance here. Named in memoriam for Gary Austin, a good friend of the site and known as RetroAviation here. He will be sorely missed.
Post a reply

Dave~What's the plan for FIFI?

Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:55 am

Okay, I thought I'd start a nice new thread concerning the progress on FIFI's new engines, repairs, and whatever else we're working on (such as our kick-butt engine test stand, Testiclese), so that we don't have fifty different threads on the subject. Since Dave Miller is the new Crew Chief for the B-29/B-24 Squadron, I'll let him do the daily posting, just like I used to do on the B-24 thread.

So, on that note.........

Dave~What's the plan for FIFI? :wink:

Gary

Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:00 pm

Oh Boy!!! I can't wait.

-David

Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:51 pm

Gary, thanks for all the time you take posting pictures and messages about the efforts you and the others have done and continue to do in reference to the work on the B-24 and B-29. I truly enjoy reading about the current status of these aircraft.

Doug

Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:31 pm

Gary ~ what a great idea for a winter thread to keep us all entertained
:drink3:

Dave ~ no pressure ....... :D :D :D

Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:30 pm

Let's start with some pictures... :D

Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:41 pm

This one's from 2004, but I think it captures her spirit nicely...

SN

FIFI and "Testiclese"

Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:09 pm

Ok boys and girls, here we go! I have been given the honor of being the new and long lasting Crew Chief of these two remarkable and one of a kind aircraft. I have been a CAF and B29/B24 Squadron member for almost 6 years. Enough about me. As many of you know, Gary engineered this re-engine project and I am here to carry it through with his much needed guidance. I will give you a look into this with pictures and descriptions as we go.
first, Image Image This is a picture I took of the #2 and #3 engines that are uncowled and propless :oops: There is currently a "hybrid" engine being built to be the first test engine for this project. It is being done by Jeff Abbott and it should be back to us by the first of the year. More about that engine make up in some of Gary's previous threads.
second, Image This is where the right wing section was removed to be reconditioned like the left wing was about 3 years ago. Corrosion issues with some of the stringers, ribs and skins.
That wing section should be back to us around the first of the year.
Next is "Tesiclese" Image This is the full view with a test engine 3350-57 mounted, to eventually test the operation of the test stand. Image Image This is the control room that is directly behind the engine stand!!
Image This is the unfinished control room instrumentation, gauges and controls. :shock: Anyone know an electrican??

One last thing! We are building a new web site and I ask that you all visit it and give the webmaster some feedback. I think it's a huge improvement allready but you be the judge. cafb29b24.org

I hope you stay tuned!
Dave

?????

Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:14 pm

Dave,
If you need some good B-29 combat photos for the new website give me a shout!!!

Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:34 pm

Bring them on! Contact the webmaster. Herb Duncan!
Thanks,
Dave

Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:30 pm

Welcome aboard Dave! I'm fond of both of the old girls, but the one is extra special to me. Take good care of them! 8)

Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:37 pm

welcome aboard dave. im up in north texas, have my caf membership thanks to someone on here. let me know if i can help on something from up here. have B-25 and 17 work experience, would like to add more airframes to that list.

Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:45 pm

Wow ! I've always wondered what keeps those wings on. How come there isn't like 6 feet of spar plate that goes from one section to the next?
I can't believe its just a flange that takes all that force. DC3's are the same.

So are you guys going to cowl those engines before runnning them?

And anymore information on the overhaul status? How about some pictures of that?

Also is the same outfit going to do all the engines?

Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:38 am

Thanks everyone!
Jon, I'm sure we can get your hands dirty somewhere. I'd love to have you here but I know Midland is a haul. As you may allready know, Ol' 927 is in Addison,Tx. at the Cavanaugh Flight Museum. She will be there for winter maintenance and permanently based there, along with the B-29, for many years to come. There will be a need for volunteers to help on her starting in early November. I will keep you posted on a contact person for that project.

Dave

Engines

Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:55 pm

Is it just me or do the engines look very small for the size of the aircraft..?

Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:57 pm

engguy wrote:Wow ! I've always wondered what keeps those wings on. How come there isn't like 6 feet of spar plate that goes from one section to the next?
I can't believe its just a flange that takes all that force. DC3's are the same.
Not being a fabric covered wing, a great deal of the load actually goes through the wing skins and stringers, not just the spars.
Post a reply