Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1022 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 69  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:20 pm 

Old SAR pilot wrote:
Just saw a post that the engine that went to Rare Bear is now on FiFi. Yes/No?

No.

The engine was sold outright to Mr. Lewis and his RareBear team. The four engines on "FIFI" were purpose built for her, the engine that was sold to Mr. Lewis was modified after they received it.

"FIFI" is close to returning to the air after winter maintenance, where no major issues revealed themselves. We are looking to begin test flights in the next 7-10 days. We will be in Bullhead City, AZ beginning 7 April, then to the Phoenix area on 11 April for awhile before heading to Midland for CAF's Hops & Props.

It was just announced yesterday that "FIFI" will be attending AirVenture 2011. We will fly during the Friday warbird show, the rest of the week we will be open for tours. Look for a stop in the Oshkosh area before or after where you will be able to purchase rides.

Take a look at our newly redesigned website www.cafb29b24.org

Fly safe,

Chris
Commemorative Air Force
B-29/B-24 Squadron

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:41 pm 

Thanks, Chris...Just needed a confirm on that... :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:40 am 

Chris ~ the new web site looks excellent !

I've signed up for the newsletter and I'll be adding you're 2011 tour dates to my website this weekend :wink:

Peter

Consolidated by US state ~ see if there's a heavy bomber tour stop coming to an airport near you ...... http://www.bomberflight.info

Warbirdapps on facebook ~ every day a new image from my personal journey thru the world of warbirds ..... https://www.facebook.com/Warbirdapps

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:54 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Just a quick update. Dave has been flying her out in Arizona for the last week or so, he is very proud to say all four engines are running great with almost zero oil leaks (better check to see if there is any oil in her, Dave). We plan on doing some crew training later this month and then fly her out to the east coast (Langley AFB, Andrews AFB, Reading PA., Farmingdale NY.) for a while. FIFI is being based at Meachem (FTW) until the runway work at Addison is complete.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:37 pm 

So when do you suppose the last time was that the worlds only flying B-29 was parked in a hangar that was built for doing B-29 maintenance? Well she's parked in one now. 8) Last night we helped Dave put her in the hangar at the Vintage Flying Museum at Meacham. Our hangar was originally built on Peyote Field which was a B-29 training base. In the 1950's it was disassembled and trucked to Fort Worth and reassembled where it stands today. It was designed to fit 2 B-29's in it nose to nose and close the doors. (Now all we need is another B-29) :shock: Since 1990 it has been the home of the Vintage Flying Museum and it housed the B-17 Chuckie until earlier this year. With the sale of the B-17 we had some available hangar space to help out the B-29/B-24 Squadron while Addison's runway was being worked on, so she and the B-29 crew will be the guests of the Vintage Flying Museum and the CAF Invader Squadron (Former Spirit of Waco A-26, now named Hoodle Head in honor of CMH reciepient) which also makes the VFM it's home. She fit's in the hangar nicely!

Nice bit of tug drivin' Dave!

Fifi will be at the VFM until the end of the month when she heads out on a tour up the East coast. We are very honored and happy to be hosting such a historic and beautiful aircraft. Another great example of different organizations coming together to help each other out. Doc's widow, Chuckie told me that she remembers working on the B-17 out on the ramp before they got the hangar and how miserable it was, cold in the winter and hot in the summer, and how thankful they were to finally get a hangar. She is happy to be able to help out other warbirds in the same situation.

Good timing considering that a hail producing thunderstorm rolled through the DFW area this afternoon!

https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=57513906106

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:16 am 

Bill and Dave, That's one of the prettiest sights I've seen at that hangar in a long time! It's not quite the same there since Chuckie, the B-17 has been gone but I'm excited to hear about the other wonderful projects going on there. Last time I was there was Chuckie's first flight after maintenance and I was on my way there the day she left for VA, but missed her by 6 minutes. It's definitely time for another visit! Thanks for the incredible picture! I can't tell you guys how much pride I felt seeing that wonderful airplane being towed into that wonderful hangar! Thank you guys, and to all the people who work so hard and sacrifice so much to keep history alive!

Chris

"What kind of plane is it?"

"Oh, it's a big pretty white plane with red stripes, curtains in the windows and wheels and it looks like a big Tylenol."

My Avatar: CDR William Harold Cole, Naval Aviator 14774, Naval Helicopter Pilot 1869 VC-6, VBF-152, VR-23 (Korea), DFC, Air Medal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:36 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Great photo! :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:01 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

That's cool! 8)

Visit Django Studios online or Facebook!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:15 pm 

The B-29/B-24 Squadron is very appreciative of Chuckie Hospers and the entire gang at the Vintage Flying Museum for allowing us to hangar "FIFI" there until she heads out to the East Coast. We will be conducting some training flights toward the end of next week, so if you are in the area you might want to keep you eyes to the sky!

As mentioned previously "FIFI"performed a couple passes during the airshow at NAS Fort Worth this past weekend. I thought you might appreciate this photo that was forwarded to me by one of my friends.

Chris
CAF B-29/B-24 Squadron

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:23 pm 

CrewDawg wrote:
Our hangar was originally built on Peyote Field which was a B-29 training base.

Scott (Second Air Force), reminded me that the hangar was probably built originally in San Antonio, not in Peyote. Regardless it was still a B-29 maintenance hangar. I just wanted to pass that along for historical accuracy. :wink: :oops:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=57513906106

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:10 am 
Account Suspended

How did FiFi and her crew do this weekend?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:21 pm 

the330thbg wrote:

According to their Facebook they did fine.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:28 am 

the330thbg wrote:

We had a very successful weekend in Farmingdale. We were able to fly seven Flight Experience trips. Each trip was entirely full. One flight we were able to put Jim Vocell and Jeff Clyman aboard in appreciation for all their work over the weekend. They know how to treat the crews!

PX and tours were selling well. We departed Monday evening instead of sticking around until Tuesday due to construction on the runway beginning early Tuesday. The entire crew was happy to sleep in yesterday instead of being up early to fly out.

We are currently preparing and resupplying in Reading waiting for another good weekend.

Chris
CAF B-29/B-24 Squadron

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:51 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

That is good to hear. I hope you come back soon. The plane looked magnificent as ever and I'm glad people showed their support. Some "normal" (i.e. non-airplane-loving) people told me they went to the show on the beach this weekend and were very impressed with and appreciative of seeing the plane.

August

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:11 pm 

k5083 wrote:
That is good to hear. I hope you come back soon. The plane looked magnificent as ever and I'm glad people showed their support. Some "normal" (i.e. non-airplane-loving) people told me they went to the show on the beach this weekend and were very impressed with and appreciative of seeing the plane.

August

August
That is good to hear, we have so many folks who work on these girls so long and hard, yet hardly every get recognized. I will pass the compliment along to them. It is great honor to be flying on Memorial Day....

Chris
CAF B-29/B-24 Squadron

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1022 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 69  Next