Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1022 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 69  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:01 pm 

well im out of school in december and am willing to drive down to either midland or even where ever Tr will be,( if my car problem is resolved by then) if i can have a place to lay my head at night and a shower. i wanna put my newly granted airframe certificate to use.

Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:12 pm 

engguy wrote:
Wow ! I've always wondered what keeps those wings on. How come there isn't like 6 feet of spar plate that goes from one section to the next?
I can't believe its just a flange that takes all that force. DC3's are the same.

So are you guys going to cowl those engines before runnning them?

And anymore information on the overhaul status? How about some pictures of that?

Also is the same outfit going to do all the engines?

We will do both, cowled and uncowled. Jeff Abbott is working on the first engine that will go on "Testiclese" when they are done. Some pictures have allready been posted on that. Jeff will be doing much of the work but another premier warbird engine builder is being used. Thats all I'll say about that for now.
Thanks for your questions!

Dave

Post subject: Re: Engines
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:22 pm 

peter wrote:
Is it just me or do the engines look very small for the size of the aircraft..?

Peter, you may need to come and see for yourself. These are big round motors and I've been around jet engines all my life.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:24 pm 

bdk wrote:
engguy wrote:
Wow ! I've always wondered what keeps those wings on. How come there isn't like 6 feet of spar plate that goes from one section to the next?
I can't believe its just a flange that takes all that force. DC3's are the same.
Not being a fabric covered wing, a great deal of the load actually goes through the wing skins and stringers, not just the spars.

BDK You are very wise!!!

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:46 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Some of the skin is up to 1/4 of an inch thick with corrugation type extrusion under it. The structure repair manual has repairs for the spar if it has been completely severed, that's how strong the wing is. If you ever get a chance to examine a structure repair manual for the B-29 it will amaze you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Is it a possibility to see one of the four turrets active? Or is this not part of the plan?

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:43 pm 

B29B24crewchief wrote:
bdk wrote:
engguy wrote:
Not being a fabric covered wing, a great deal of the load actually goes through the wing skins and stringers, not just the spars.

BDK You are very wise!!!

Dave

Yeah but that stub wing is still bolted to that flange near the engine nacelle, so that is a pretty highly stressed area, saying nothing about the structure in section leading to the plane or the stub wing.

Well lets see, we know it isn't the place at Everett wa doing any FiFi engines, Abbots doing one? So then that leaves Global, Anderson, Sun air.
So why the secret?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:13 am 

Hi Dave,
I see you've hit the ground running! Glad we'll all be able to see the progress of this project. Good luck!
Paula at the Harpoon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:01 am 

Warbird Kid wrote:
Is it a possibility to see one of the four turrets active? Or is this not part of the plan?

I'll defer that question to Gary. I believe he has some news about that.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:42 pm 

engguy wrote:
B29B24crewchief wrote:
bdk wrote:
engguy wrote:

BDK You are very wise!!!

Dave

Yeah but that stub wing is still bolted to that flange near the engine nacelle, so that is a pretty highly stressed area, saying nothing about the structure in section leading to the plane or the stub wing.

Well lets see, we know it isn't the place at Everett wa doing any FiFi engines, Abbots doing one? So then that leaves Global, Anderson, Sun air.
So why the secret?

It's really not that it's secret :roll: It's that it's not a done deal yet! I think if you have followed the thread that Gary did on Ol' 927, he/we are as up front about everything as anyone, maybe more!! Please don't take this the wrong way but take the information we provide and appreciate it. When the time comes that we able to tell you and everyone who is doing our other engines, we will.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:36 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

Warbird Kid wrote:

Fellow WIXer, Taigh Raimey, is working on a turret for us as we speak. We will only have one operational, but it's better than nothing.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:29 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

What is going to be used for an exhaust system? Custom built or off of an existing aircraft? High tension or low tension magnetos?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:04 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

b29flteng wrote:
What is going to be used for an exhaust system? Custom built or off of an existing aircraft? High tension or low tension magnetos?

The engines are carbureted, low tension ignition.

The exhaust is being modified from an existing system from an "early" Connie, but not the early, early ones with the forward facing exhaust. I'm sorry, but I just don't know my Connies all that well. All I know is that I gave Nelson an exhaust system from an engine here that is supposedly from a Connie (he agrees). It will certainly require some modifications, but nothing that can't be done. We do need to find more of these setups, however, so be on the lookout for them. We frequently hear, "I heard there was some here..." or "I heard about some guy in Arizona or New Mexico that has some...." but no real leads. If someone here has some exact info on the location of some of this exhaust, then please let me know.

Oh, and John, we'd sure like for you to be part of this engine project.....but I'm gonna be in the Flight Engineer's seat for the first flight. :-) :D

Thanks,
Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:13 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I'll help, depending on the War Department :lol: , and I'll need to give you a check ride on that first flight. It's always nice to have two heads any way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:03 pm 

retroaviation wrote:
b29flteng wrote:

The engines are carbureted, low tension ignition.

The exhaust is being modified from an existing system from an "early" Connie, but not the early, early ones with the forward facing exhaust. I'm sorry, but I just don't know my Connies all that well. All I know is that I gave Nelson an exhaust system from an engine here that is supposedly from a Connie (he agrees). It will certainly require some modifications, but nothing that can't be done. We do need to find more of these setups, however, so be on the lookout for them. We frequently hear, "I heard there was some here..." or "I heard about some guy in Arizona or New Mexico that has some...." but no real leads. If someone here has some exact info on the location of some of this exhaust, then please let me know.

Oh, and John, we'd sure like for you to be part of this engine project.....but I'm gonna be in the Flight Engineer's seat for the first flight. :-) :D

Thanks,
Gary

Gary,
I used to help a little on the Camarillo Connie (now Brietling Connie) and they had trailers of parts. Do you know what Connie the exhaust came from? I can try to get in touch with someone that used to be in that organization and see if they might have the correct stuff.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1022 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 69  Next