Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:47 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thats a slick looking A-26! Keep up the great work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:11 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

bdk wrote:
Isn't that the location called out in the AD note where the fillet fairing chafes the spar cap?
Aparently not, bdk, you ignoramus! The AD note calls out the fairing at the nacelle. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:20 pm 

Well we have completed another major step and got the second wing installed to the fuselage.

Now to get everything installed on the wings and get the gear and fuel tanks in, so we can hang them engines.

Kurt

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:26 pm 

Ok, guys and girls, just received a few pics the other day and now have the opportunity to post the pics.........Kurt, email me direct at albro47n@aol.com....... I lost your email..... my bad......my apologies...... Allrighty...... Kurt and the Sierra Hotel group continue to make progress on the airframe and the first engine has been mounted on an engine stand for installing all of the necessary engine accessories....... Global Radial Aircraft Engines has gotten the go-ahead to begin the overhaul of engine #2..... The Sierra Hotel A-26 newsletter can be found at http://www.contrails.us/sh_a-26/Newslet ... ectory.htm
The engine is flying....... with a little help from the crane..... but soon.........these guys are so much closer than anyone could have imagined!
The backend of the mighty R-2800.
Members of the Sierra Hotel crew posing for a quick picture.
The completed project.... the engine is mounted to the stand.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:03 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Jet Mech wrote:
Thanks for posting the pics, I have to read up on the photo bucket thing and get my photos up.

We have started re-installing stuff on right nacelle face. I have engine control pulley and cables back in, and now if you wiggel the correct lever in cockpit the things move on the wings. First time that has happen on this bird in over 10 years.

Have a nice day, and if Guthrie OK on Saturdays, drop in and visit. We are here most every Saturday from 9-4 except when stuffing our faces.

Kurt, the Crew Dog.

Kurt, looking at the Google map, is your hangar the one with the T-33 parked outside on the North side of the airport?
Good to see your hard work coming together.......

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:10 pm 

We are located in Hanger #2, just across ramp from FBO (Crabtree Avaition). The T-33 belongs to owner of Spirit Wing, and we rent our hanger from them.

Kurt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:30 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Jet Mech wrote:
We are located in Hanger #2, just across ramp from FBO (Crabtree Avaition). The T-33 belongs to owner of Spirit Wing, and we rent our hanger from them.

Kurt

Roger that, I'll know where to look then, Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:02 pm 

If you come to the hanger, I am the one in the engine group photo - Bald, glasses plaid shirt. My son Eddie is the one in wheel chair. He comes to help supervise and hold stuff for everyone. He loves to come and get involved.

Hope to see you out some time.

Kurt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:39 pm 

After a week of hard work, by many team members, we completed rework of tub for # 2 engine, and got seals installed in front end. 8)

It's now mounted to our engine stand and has the #2 engine attached to it. :o Nice view compaired to old tub which still needs cleaned and painted. :D

Now to start buildup of inside and front of engine. :wink:

I will get Alan photos ASAP.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:05 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Right at bradley new england air museum in windsor locks, ct they are restoring a WW2 combat veteran A-26. It had countless missions over germany and the thing sat outside in the new england weather up until maybe 2006-08. The worst part of this is that the president of the museum,( who some can't stand,) wants it put back outside to rot once again. It's bad enough he put the f4-phantom,( which had 2 kills in vietnam,) was sent outside with blue tarps on it. Such a shame

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:26 pm 

Thanks again to Kurt and crew for sending pictures and providing the commentary on the ongoing work! I have had these pics for several days but work has gotten in the way of getting these posted.
Jet Mech wrote:
After a week of hard work, by many team members, we completed rework of tub for # 2 engine, and got seals installed in front end.

Rear view of the R-2800 with the fire shield attached.....
The reworked tub for engine #2, with newly overhauled engine installed, and soon to be hung on the airframe!
Thanks to Kurt, Kathy, and the Sierra Hotel A-26 crew for all of the hard work and information. Also remember to check the website for the latest newsletter! http://www.contrails.us/sh_a-26/Newslet ... ectory.htm
Also to Oscar Duck..... I am afraid that I have absolutely no info on the A-26's through New Guinea or the CBI.... sounds like a good topic for the die hard researchers here on the board! More information on the Invader Squadron and their A-26 when the time is right.

Alan Brooks B-29/B-24 Squadron.....
Moonlighting a little with two different Invader Squadrons.....does that make me a three-timer or just dillusional :Hangman: :Hangman: :Hangman: ????????

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:15 pm 

Now that we have engine mounted on final tub, and in the stand, I have been able to get several things done.

We now have majority of accessories bolted on the back end, and started with plumbing the lines and drains that go with them all.

We just got the final half of our electrical harness back from shop and with Bill's help we have the front half electrical harness in for the P lead and prop govennor switch routed and ready to hook up.

After our bolts for the mount spacers arrived I got them installed and the covers installed which hold the cowl flap drive units.

Its a lot of small jobs, but the engine is starting to look like it should.

Till next time.

Kurt, the crew chief.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:29 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

keep up the good work

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:13 am 

June newsletter is now posted to the webpage........ new pics and info when I receive them..... Alan
http://www.contrails.us/sh_a-26/Newslet ... letter.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:14 am 

June newsletter is now posted to the webpage........ new pics and info when I receive them..... Alan
http://www.contrails.us/sh_a-26/Newslet ... letter.pdf

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next