Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:03 pm 

any ID on that Invader?

unit/place/more

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:59 pm 

things have been hetic with my pc crashing and I can't get to WIX from work any more, its been a while. I hope to have more info soon.

Kurt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:05 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Well now.....we been a waiting, and waiting, and waiting....Finally we have something positive from you!
Just joshing ya.....hope it works out. I have to have a daily WIX FIX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:32 am 

Well I am back for the first time in months, using PC connection at school while at Special Olympics with my son. No connection at home yet and work has it blocked.

An update, we moved the pieces of our A-26 to Guthrie Ok, in one hanger now, and wings and fuselage are once again close to each other, as they have not been in over 5 years. More to come, as I also found my missing camera, and can now take pictures.

Kurt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:10 pm 

Well I am back online and ready to start giving some updates.

I cleaned and rebuilt our flap drive gear box, original was packed 3/4 full of old packed grease, and found broken shear pin in grease.

Here is what the new one looks like.

More to come.[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:57 pm 

Well work is going ahead slowly, my jobs are still waiting on other to get done, as we have had to do more inspection work due to corrosion found on another A-26 :x , and we are pulling apart more areas to inspect our bird to make sure we don't have the same problems :shock: . Its a two step forward, and one step back kinda deal. But its all easier to do now then later.

More pictures when I get my camera downloaded and photos in the photobucket account.

Kurt :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:58 pm 

Work continues, and so does the problems we find. It seems to be a two step forward and one step back process, but we aren't as bad as the PBJs problems.

When I get the photobucket thing figured out, I will get more photos of work and problems we are finding.

But we have our first engine overhauled and working the mount tub for it now.

Kurt
Sierra Hotel A-26 Support Group (CAF)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:05 pm 

Well we had a big day last Saturday, our crew got the left wing physically attached to the fuselage. First time in over ten years.

Photos when I get things figured out.

Kurt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:17 am 

Hi Jet Mech,
I was at your facility about 2003 or 2004. I was having a Challenger 601 repainted and interior refurb at Capital Aviation. I got a tour, and was able to see the new spars and the cracked ones as well. That is quite the project! Kudos to you guys! At that time there was alot of activity. There was a black A-26 there too. I think it was or became Vegas Vixen. Also the CAF Buchon 109 was there doing some flying. Keep up the good work!

Post subject: A-26 spars
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:24 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Anybody have pics of the new spars and the cracked ones?I would like to see how large the cracks were.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:15 pm 

Yea, I have photos, the spar broke completely in two about 12 inches from the inboard end, about where it exits the side of fuselage.

I will try to post photos.

Kurt

Post subject: A-26
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:15 pm 

Tom, the Sierra Hotel website is now hosted under the CAF HQ web domain.... it can be found here: http://www.contrails.us/sh_a-26/index.htm Check under photo gallery for the year 2004 and look down around the 10th picture or so, there is a gentleman holding the remains of broken spar head in his hand........ Ok.... I'll save ya' the trouble.........

Here is a PROPOSED photoshop rendering of the what the A-26 will look like when completed.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:41 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

Bummer on the proposed paint scheme. I was hopeful that the CAF was going to try to start finishing their airplanes with a bit more original look to them. It would be nice to see it back in the air though.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:45 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I'm not structural engineer, but I don't think main spars are supposed to come apart like that! :shock: Those things make a little noise when they "POP"? Or is it usually followed by the departure of a wing and a large fireball? Good reason for careful examination of those things. They were building them to last 6 months tops and here we are 65 years later...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:34 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Isn't that the location called out in the AD note where the fillet fairing chafes the spar cap?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next