Switch to full style
A place where restoration project-type threads can go to avoid falling off the main page in the WIX hangar. Feel free to start threads on Restoration projects and/or warbird maintenance here. Named in memoriam for Gary Austin, a good friend of the site and known as RetroAviation here. He will be sorely missed.
Post a reply

Re: A-26 Restoration Project

Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:16 pm

New Piccies! Courtesy of Kathy Mizell.......guru of Marshaling warbirds and a good friend to boot! I will let most of these pics speak for themselves... but Kurt and Kathy may add some additional comments too! So here goes!!!!!!!

I will start by posting a few pics of the accessory section of the R-2800.......
Prepping engine #2 to be mounted to the airframe........ exciting stuff!
Lifting harness in place.....almost ready to go!
Maybe these guys were moving so fast.... all we got was a blurred image...... lots on engine mounted on that tub......easy..easy......
OK...everything looks good.....
Overhead shot....
Big pieces going back on airplanes brings big smiles!
Proud crew!
Look no wheels.....yet! Soon......soon......
A job well done.....#2 down and #1 to go!

More pictures when I get them.... also keep up with the newsletters as these guys and girls have truly been blessed and have magic in their hands...... Not too much longer.......I want to look out of the tail of the B-24 or B-29 and see you guys closing up in formation! In fact, how about a B-29 lead with ALL THREE CAF A-26 Invaders rounding out the formation..... wow.... I may have to get a cold one after that thought..... alan

Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:53 pm

Alan- was that Rick Hudlow in the photo?

kevin

Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:35 pm

tulsaboy wrote:Alan- was that Rick Hudlow in the photo?

kevin

Hey Kevin!
No on the Rick Hudlow question.... for a complete list of names....see the newest newsletter.... http://www.contrails.us/sh_a-26/Newslet ... letter.pdf

Alan

As an aside, the CAF A-26 Invader x-Spirit of Waco, should be arriving in Breckenridge in a week or less if all goes to plan. Nelson and crew will perform a little magic on this airframe as well....

Sun May 15, 2011 12:27 pm

New Newsletter........ from April......... Progress.....Progress....... alan
http://www.contrails.us/sh_a-26/Newslet ... letter.pdf

Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:43 pm

These intrepid A-26 Oklahoma members keep making progress.......... here are the links for the last couple of newsletters.....

May: http://www.contrails.us/sh_a-26/Newslet ... letter.pdf

June: http://www.contrails.us/sh_a-26/Newslet ... letter.pdf

Looks like it will be a nice, safe flying airplane..... Keep going guys....
alan

Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:43 am

Al, looks like ya'll figured out that the A-26 nose jack takes a special configuration.

Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:46 pm

Rick....yep they did...... they have the nose gear, wheel, and tire now installed, plus the two mains.......they can now move her around..... new updates are posted on their website......

http://www.contrails.us/sh_a-26/index.htm

Just click on the A-26 and get into the website.....

Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:49 pm

last Saturday morning I was in Guthrie (KGOK) and I dropped in to say hello to the Sierra Hotel A-26 Sponsor Group of the CAF. Very friendly group! Strangly, the leader of the group, James Dudnelly, had never heard of the WIX. I have taken it upon myself to resurrect this thread and give progress reports as I find out. Also, I'll be sure and post more pics. I was told that the right engine will be hung within a month. Hopefully I can get up there to help and document it. I was also told that both engines are fresh w/ 6 hours on each. Overall project looks good. The members of the crew are shooting for a year to two years before first flight. As with all restoration all it takes is cubic dollars, cubic time, and cubic labor.

Please stay tuned.

~J~

Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:56 pm

Thanks John!
I have been waiting for new pictures (for the last few weeks, along with an update!).........
BTW..... do YOU have any new piccies to add to the thread?
Regards,
alan brooks

Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:22 pm

Sorry Alan, I do not but I will make sure that I have my camera next time I go up to KGOK. I will ask James if he has any via email tonight.

Cheers!

~J~

Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:51 pm

well I am back after long time away.

Thanks to those who kept the link going.

Good news is restoration is moving along at snails pace, but moving forward.

It seems when you attach all the large parts together the other stuff doesn't seem like its making big changes, but you are.

I have also just gotten photos of this aircraft while in service in French Indo-China in mid 50's. Yes she is a combat vet!!!

Served in French Airforce as recon bird during major battles of the time.

also a copy of the unit emblem she surved under for the ERP II/19 ARMAGNAC of the French Armée de l'Air

More work photos later after I get them uploaded.

Kurt

Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:47 pm

I have a top hatch for sale. If interested, PM me with an email address to which I can send photos. Merck!

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:49 am

Great work guys! Will there ever be a a-26 to tour the New England area???? Also, do you guys have anything for sale to help contribute to the restoration?

Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:09 pm

Updates and more.........
My apologies to everyone...... for lack of updates here on WIX...
Here is a brief rundown........
Cockpit...rewired and instruments in....
engines mounted, finishing hookups....
control surfaces recovered and mounted....
fuel tanks, oil tanks in...
props on...
some checking of wiring completed and the #2 engine pre-oiler system had been checked and the #2 engine turned over with the starter...
Completing work on the fuselage interior.....
Lots of stuff going on.....
They are planning on flying this year.......
Here is the link to all of the monthly updates......

http://www.contrails.us/CAF_Sierra_Hote ... ectory.htm

Congrats to Kurt, James, Rick, and all of the many, many others who have donated time, money, sweat, and tears... this has been a long hard road....but it is just about finished! Herculean effort!
alan brooks

Mon May 15, 2017 9:38 am

Wonderful job guys! Can somebody forward me a few websites as I'm looking to buy a couple t-shirts to contribute towards the restoration of some invaders. Thanks!
Post a reply