Switch to full style
A place where restoration project-type threads can go to avoid falling off the main page in the WIX hangar. Feel free to start threads on Restoration projects and/or warbird maintenance here. Named in memoriam for Gary Austin, a good friend of the site and known as RetroAviation here. He will be sorely missed.
Post a reply

Paint Codes

Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:59 pm

I've looked in my T6 erection manual and in my repair manuals and I cannot find a section on paint codes. Can someone point me to where I can find the appropriate paint codes to use on an SNJ-4? I want to use the correct code for my tubulars and interior.

Thanks in advance.

Chunks

Re: Paint Codes

Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:26 pm

Chunks wrote:I've looked in my T6 erection manual and in my repair manuals and I cannot find a section on paint codes. Can someone point me to where I can find the appropriate paint codes to use on an SNJ-4? I want to use the correct code for my tubulars and interior.
If correct means factory new, those would be on an NAA drawing. The repair manual would only all out something in government inventory. They wouldn't stock matching zinc cromate colors (yellow vs. green for instance) depending on which plane you were repairing.

Unbfortunately I don't have NAA paint and markings drawings for a T-6.

There are some generic USAF and USN paint and markings manuals that would be applicable for depot use. The ones I have are post-war though.

Maybe Tim Savage has a definitive answer?

Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:41 am

Like bdk stated, the originals would be in a NAA document.

When the LSFM restored the Dauntless, the Navy standard for WWII interiors was a blend of one gallon of zinc chromate primer with one quart of black enamel blended in. This was the ratio specified in a US Navy depot level manual. This makes for a dark green. We had a color chart of the WWII paint chips and we painted a sample panel and it matched up.

Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:48 pm

Chunks,
Its a NAVY airplane, dont look in the NAA T-6 book, You need a US NAVY SB(Service Bulliten) for the correct time period of your paint job/restoration, etc. Most all NAVY airplanes that I am aware of went directly to a A&R from the factory. There they were reconfigured and painted. All those radios listed in the T-6 manual, dont waste your time putting them in the SNJ.
It all goes back to ARMY vs NAVY.
Chuck Wahl
www.cwahl.com

Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:34 pm

Chunks check your PM's

Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:31 pm

Monogram books makes a book with all the paint codes with chips included... Look it up on Ebay under monogram books.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... ps-sellers

Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:24 pm

OK, just received the Monogram book. It's a bit of a dry read, but the paint chips are nice to have. Thanks for the advice, Broken Wrench!

Chunks

Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:22 pm

Glad to be of service :D
Post a reply