Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:31 pm 

I know the brains in this section can help me. :D
Some of my shop windows and a door got nailed by taggers this weekend. They used some kind of paint marker I have not encountered before. I started on the steel door and the only thing that would remove it was lacquer thinner. The problem is that lacquer thinner will melt and damage the Lexan windows.
I tried everything in my arsenal, 91 percent isopropyl alcohol, mineral spirits, naptha, acetone, graffiti remover.
Any ideas? The windows are already clouded, scratched and kind of messed up. I just don't want to make them worse if I can avoid it.

Thanks, Les

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:49 pm 

I have been very successful removing dope, paint, road tar and just about anything with the old Stitts paint cleaning solvent. Oversprayed paint wiped right off windshields etc even weeks later with no affect on the plexiglass. Lexan may be a little different but I would try. It never attacked cured surfaces.

C-2210 PAINT CLEANING SOLVENT

Sully

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:32 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Toluene?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:53 pm 

for kicks if it isn't to set, try WD40.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:20 am 

Try a small 2" orbital sander, low rpms, with a buffing pad and rubbing compound.

It should remove the grafitti and restore the lexan a bit.

Then spray the windows and door with LPS-3 spray wax and let dry. Next time you get tagged, use a rag to wipe off the paint and reapply the LPS-3.

I've been using this technique so successfully, the taggers have moved on, because their "artwork" rarely lasts for more than a day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

210 plexi cleaner, a boat marine cleaner that removes scratches, crazing from sunlight & elements of weather specifically for plexiglass.. it's the bomb. i stock it at my store. i can ups no problem. there is also a companion polish to finish off your work for a 1st class job. both items under 20 bucks, + no tax if shipped out of ohio. p.m. me if interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:27 pm 

Thank you everybody for the suggestions. I will have to worry about it when I get back in a few days from an unexpected emergency trip to Vegas.

Les

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:35 pm 

Novus plastic polish#3 with a small buffing wheel in a low speed drill like a makita. Then go to Novus #2. Then clean with #1. It will work. Get it from aircraft spruce dot com.
09-38130 is the #3
09-38120 is the #2
09-38110 is the cleaner
Chuck.