Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:04 pm 
BANNED/ACCOUNT SUSPENDED

Are the rebuilders using original stuff for experimental warbirds or using similar item found in homebuilts?

For the regulator I think a solid state type which is maybe 6" x4" would replace the old relay type-3 times bigger.

For the generator, maybe an automotive type alternator adopted with the generator gears.

For the battery maybe the newest type that doesn't release vapors.

If this stuff were used (for experimental where you don't need an STC or 337), you could probably eliminate up to 50 lbs of excess weight, and have a more efficient and safer system in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:17 pm 

My company rewires warbirds for various people. In our experience, it's been about 50-50 using the original versus replacing with modern stuff. Most of the Stearman, Waco, Stinson (and others) guys go with Jasco alternators and regulators. I've seen P-51s with alternators and others with generators. I think it all depends on the owner.
Almost all owners go with modern wire, usually MS22759 or equivalent, along with modern terminals and connectors. Actually, most of the components used in older aircraft have a modern replacement. The gauges and instrumentation are generally able to be rebuilt.
Hope this helps a bit....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:37 pm 
BANNED/ACCOUNT SUSPENDED

Thanks for the info Jeff. I'm going to do the electrical myself, but thanks for the very helpful information.

For the alternator, I was thinking of using a 50 amp automotive-probably Ford. I don't want to use an existing STC, rather do my own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:09 pm 

Jeff,

Does your company stamp information of the wire insulation or do they use sleeves? If actually stamp, how can I contact your company?

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:11 pm 

We are looking into what it takes to eliminate the ton of mechanical inverters on the -97 and replace them with solid state stuff. Don't know what we will do yet.

As far as the Douglas, it is Standard Transport, so it has the carbon pile regulators and mechanical inverters. It is a constant battle to keep the generators sharing the load equally, since we draw so little in its current configuration.

C-54D "Spirit of Freedom" 43-17228
C-97 "Angel of Deliverance" 52-2718 (painted as YC-97A 45-59595)
C-54E/R5D-4 "Spirit of Freedom" 44-9144 BuNo 90414 (wfu April/2020)
http://www.spiritoffreedom.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:27 pm 
BANNED/ACCOUNT SUSPENDED

Quote:
We are looking into what it takes to eliminate the ton of mechanical inverters on the -97 and replace them with solid state stuff. Don't know what we will do yet.

As far as the Douglas, it is Standard Transport, so it has the carbon pile regulators and mechanical inverters. It is a constant battle to keep the generators sharing the load equally, since we draw so little in its current configuration.

Definitly can get harder and harder to keep a relay type system working, when the newest technology will do the job. You'd probably need an STC or field approval since you're standard category.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:25 am 

Quote:
Does your company stamp information of the wire insulation or do they use sleeves? If actually stamp, how can I contact your company?

Scott, we use a Kingsley stamper. We'd like to get a laser marker but we're mobile and laser markers are not. I'll pm you with contact info.