Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:10 am 

Seafury1,
Be more specific as to what your trying to determine and I'll pull the prints and get you dates.
You can PM me or EMail of you like, or post it here.
Chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:26 am 

t28pilot,
Good information on the AC and AN fittings. I have found the AC fittings on the B-24 part, some of the oil lines from an engine that was removed from an AT-10 and a Stearman project. Please post more info on the AC fittings when you have time as there is little information on them and the color transition on the AN fittings.

Seafury1,
The B-24 component that has the AC fittings is a bomb door emergency valve PN B9588. The AC nuts were left on the part with the sleeves. The tubes were cut just clear of the sleeve ends. Pooner may have some more of these valves if you are interested in a fine example of a valve that once was on the B-24 and Navy cousin. No details on what aircraft the valve came from or when it was scrapped.
Valve
Page from B-24 manual.
Thanks again on the AC info.

Now back to the original question, when did the AN hardware color change from silver to gold?

Post subject: Fittings...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:30 am 

Seafury1 wrote:
Nice AC fittings though, whose B-24 are they out of?

That'd be yours, mine and ours, as they were purchased by the American taxpaying public a few years ago. :wink: Smart commentary aside, the fittings were on pieces from B-24s scrapped en-masse at Kingman, AZ, right after WWII and in storage since then. The fittings were on a bomb bay door controller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:38 pm 

Treasure! A few years ago a developer started digging up the north east side of Chino and came across a ton of parts still buried. Things left over from the scraping of airplanes after WWII. Some of the stuff was buried 10 to 15 feet below the surface. Thanks for all the good info on the fittings. I think I have most of it figured out now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:03 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Outstanding twists and turns in this thread! (Pun intended :roll: )

But seriously I will be in touch when we get ready to replace our hydraulic lines on the B17.

If the means exist to keep the systems with original style and color fittings without it breaking the bank I would love to do it.

My Army helocopter mechanic always calls the Blue fittings pneu-draulic because he was taught that they were suitable for either pneumatic or hydraulic applications.
An ex-Lockheed C-130 wrench has been insisting that if the fittings aren't blue they won't do!
There seems to be no lack of opinions in this whacky warbird community.