Switch to full style
A place where restoration project-type threads can go to avoid falling off the main page in the WIX hangar. Feel free to start threads on Restoration projects and/or warbird maintenance here. Named in memoriam for Gary Austin, a good friend of the site and known as RetroAviation here. He will be sorely missed.
Post a reply

Stearman exhaust collector enclosing material, help needed

Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:12 pm

We are not restoring a PT-17 Stearman, but want to duplicate the Stearman collector enclosing system (symilar system used on Waco QCF) on a Rotec radial powered Hatz Classic biplane we are building.
Our concern is the heat exposition of the collector shroud (the inner part, that acts as some sort of bulkhead).
Can anybody tell us if this is made from aluminum or stainless steel? Whats the sheet metal thickness? Whats the minimum clearance to the collector ring?. We know, that the outer polished covers are stainless steel, but which material is used on the the inner (invisible) bulkhead shroud?
Many thanks for help
Hans & Sam, Switzerland

Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:27 pm

For the Stearman with the 220HP Continental W670, the flame shield behind the exhaust is also stainless steel. I don't have a Stearman any longer, so I cannot help with the dimensions unfortunately.

Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:31 am

I took a very quick look in the Stearman blueprint microfiche set I have. Nothing in there that may help, unfortunately. Give Russ Aircraft a try. They have a set of prints on CD-ROM format with some older items on it if I recall.

http://www.russaircraft.com/drawings.htm
Post a reply