Switch to full style
A place where restoration project-type threads can go to avoid falling off the main page in the WIX hangar. Feel free to start threads on Restoration projects and/or warbird maintenance here. Named in memoriam for Gary Austin, a good friend of the site and known as RetroAviation here. He will be sorely missed.
Post a reply

A Cool Idea

Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:44 pm

Hello Guys:

I probably have too much time on my hands, but was thinking what a hit it would be if someone created a really weird looking homebuilt for airshows.

I mean we all take warbirds, and flying too seriously. So, imagine if someone created something outrageous, like a flying whale, or a snail, pizza, or something else and then flew it around! I mean huge too, like 50' long. I bet you it would steal the airshow, probably bring in millions of dollars.

Even an air race dogfight like that too would be cool, something to get everybody to laugh a little more..

It could even be the beginning of a whole new flying movement! I was just bored, so I thought it up.

Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:19 am

I would definitely pay to see a flying snail race a pizza.

But then the tractor pull community would whine that we're wasting all the Allisons and 3350's. :wink:

Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:05 am

Why not a flying "Snoopy's Doghouse"? They proved the theory with model aircraft, so it shouldn't be too hard to adapt it to a light aircraft design... Hardest part would be the rooftop cockpit- but the pilot would also require a leather flying helmet equipped with long black ears...

Robbie

Re: A Cool Idea

Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:35 am

Fun idea.
A2C wrote:So, imagine if someone created something outrageous, like a flying whale, or a snail, pizza, or something else and then flew it around! I mean huge too, like 50' long. I bet you it would steal the airshow, probably bring in millions of dollars.

Doubt you'll get 'millions'; people don't pay for odd flying stuff.

Frankly it's cheaper to do something wacky sounding with a conventional aircraft. The leading edge there would be, say the Red Bull Air Races.

Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:24 am

Back in the mid '60's Air Progress (man I miss that rag) did a series of 'could be's' with humorous car/airplane writer/ cartoonist Stan Mott. (who also did several stories for Road & Track featuring the CYCLOPS 47 cc olive oil burning supercar which resembled a half barrel and 4 rollerskate wheels).
Among the ideas were a three times scale J-3 powered by a P&W 1340 that would cruise @ an estimated 88 MPH, seat about 25, and had an upper cabin deck ala 747, and a two seat scaled B-17 using 4 VW Beetle engines :wink:

Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:03 am

I think it would get a lot of attention, and possibly more than warbirds themselves if it was enough of a spectacle.

Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:46 pm

hi all, this is what i want to do 40-45' wing, avro lancaster.4- rotax 503,3 blade ivo props.i need someone to draw the size ribs and bulkheads and i will start cutting metal. :shock: 8) :!:bill

Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:01 pm

hi all, this is what i want to do 40-45' wing, avro lancaster.4- rotax 503,3 blade ivo props.i need someone to draw the size ribs and bulkheads and i will start cutting metal. :!:bill

Make it aerobatic :? :wink:

Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:36 pm

I thought they did this with the Defender?
Rich

Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:42 pm

Rich

They did! That's why he's famous, and there's still probably a "freak show" market for something else. Hey Rich go for it, you can be famous. Just be careful with it.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:06 pm

A2C wrote:
Rich

They did! That's why he's famous, and there's still probably a "freak show" market for something else. Hey Rich go for it, you can be famous. Just be careful with it.

The freak show is watching me try to figure out how all the gizmos work in this British feat of engineering,
Rich

Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:21 pm

The Inspector wrote:Back in the mid '60's Air Progress (man I miss that rag) did a series of 'could be's' with humorous car/airplane writer/ cartoonist Stan Mott. (who also did several stories for Road & Track featuring the CYCLOPS 47 cc olive oil burning supercar which resembled a half barrel and 4 rollerskate wheels).

Ahhh...Stan Mott..a nuts, nut! :D The CYCLOPS I and II. The worlds first V-1 internal combustion
engine (5 spark plugs, 151 valves)..pure genius!

An extensive page has evolved here with Mr. Mott's involvement in later years. Cyclops evolution,
as well as a tribute to a Russian aircraft designer, The History of Tanks(Racing), his world
go kart tour (tongue firmly planted in cheek), aircraft carrier for desert ops...
http://sbiii.com/cyclops/cyclops.html

Re: A Cool Idea

Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:29 pm

A2C wrote:Hello Guys:

I probably have too much time on my hands, but was thinking what a hit it would be if someone created a really weird looking homebuilt for airshows.

I mean we all take warbirds, and flying too seriously. So, imagine if someone created something outrageous,
It could even be the beginning of a whole new flying movement! I was just bored, so I thought it up.

A2C, in the spirit of those thoughts and considering the state of the economy, maybe it's time to
resurrect this long forgotten Russian Warbird. Tho the PC's and Moralists(people who are closet
"dirty minds") may have some issues! Click on lower right corner for full page...
http://sbiii.com/smottpix/sokerov8.jpg

Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:52 pm

A2C, in the spirit of those thoughts and considering the state of the economy, maybe it's time to
resurrect this long forgotten Russian Warbird. Tho the PC's and Moralists(people who are closet
"dirty minds") may have some issues! Click on lower right corner for full page...
http://sbiii.com/smottpix/sokerov8.jpg

Airnutz:

Very nice! Complete with a 5 year plan, and micromanagement.

Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:13 am

They need to make some aerodynamic changes and lighten things on that Ruskie design.
I suggest a unicycle type arrangement aka Defender.
Rich
Post a reply