Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Is this place real?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:28 pm 

http://cascadeengineservice.com/index.html

Try to contact them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:24 am 

I'd never heard of them til recently and they're only about 40 mi. away. :shock: Haven't had any reason to contact them so far...

http://www.heritageflight.org
http://www.bravo369.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:35 am 

Bill is an upstanding guy and very knowledgeable in the overhaul business.

In fact our T-28C engine was one of the last out of JRS, they even sent it in a can and said keep the can, we are closed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:46 pm 

I have read alot of good about Bill. I just think its strange there is no address anyplace for the shop and they won't answer the email, phone is just an answering machine.
I think I'd be a bit reluctant to let a multi thousand dollar engine go to nowhere.
I'm thinking anyone could make a website and say send us an Allison or ?

40 miles? From me too I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:33 pm 
BANNED/ACCOUNT SUSPENDED

Easy now:

The thing you people don't realize is that Bill is a person just like you. He's probably started his own engine business, and getting started with a web page. If I had an engine to overhaul, I'd give Bill a chance anytime, but I would ask to see his resume and check his references first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:45 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

What ever happened to Sam Torvik, who also worked with Bill at JRS? Is he still around?

---Wingman Photo---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:27 pm 

Neal,

Unfortunatley I must relay to you the sad news that Sam Torvik took his own life several years ago. The loss of John Sandburg and other setbacks became to great a burden for him to bear. Sam was a skilled mechanic and a kind and generous man. He is missed by many.

Carl Best

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:18 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks Carl -- I'm very sorry to hear that. I hadn't seen him since the Tsunami days, and had wondered. I didn't know him well, but enjoyed the contact I did have with him over the years...

---Wingman Photo---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:54 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

engguy wrote:
I think I'd be a bit reluctant to let a multi thousand dollar engine go to nowhere.

So do you actually have a multi-thousand dollar engine to send to him for rebuild, or are you going to just take up his valuable time by asking him questions about overhauling engines because you want to do that someday? Sorry if that sounds terse, but THAT may be the reason he doesn't return those e-mails and only has the answering machine on during the day. Just a thought.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:08 pm 

retroaviation wrote:
engguy wrote:

So do you actually have a multi-thousand dollar engine to send to him for rebuild, or are you going to just take up his valuable time by asking him questions about overhauling engines because you want to do that someday? Sorry if that sounds terse, but THAT may be the reason he doesn't return those e-mails and only has the answering machine on during the day. Just a thought.

Gary

If it was my business, I would answer all emails that pertain to the business, I'm sure he isn't getting thousands a day. And no I wasn't asking that. If an outfit has that kind of attitude how do they expect to get customers? I remember a scroungy looking fellow I worked with years ago (Boeing) he told me how he walked into a high end car sales place yeah dressed like he did at work, and how the people basicly kicked him out. Well this fellow saved about every dollar he made, anyway he went down the street and bought a new car there and then drove back to the place that kicked him out and showed them the car he just got, paid cash for it.
Its called advertizing by word of mouth or by what people put on the internet these days, you never know if you just pasted up a good job or ?
And the contact was not for a specific person, if they are as busy as you say then they should answer the question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:26 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

But you're missing my point. It's NOT your business. Heck, I don't even know this guy, so I really have no dog in this hunt. I'm merely saying that I definitely know several Warbird guys that are one man (or a few men) shows and also don't really "do" the internet thing. And word of mouth may be exactly what's keeping this guy so busy. He may be so good and have the reputation of getting the work done by not being on the phone all day, that the folks who do know him, keep him busy. Make sense?

Look, I get what you're saying, but it may not be a reason to get frustrated with someone because they don't answer every e-mail and phone call thrown their way. When I ran my business, I worked from "can 'til can't" and absolutely HATED phone calls interrupting me. Rarely did I even look at the computer, as they are such time killers. So, cut the guy some slack, or at least give what I'm saying some consideration. If you ever open up your overhaul shop, then you can answer all the phone calls and e-mails you wish, but I don't think it's really fair to put such a negative light on this fella if he's running HIS shop the way HE wants, you know?

Again, don't take all of that the wrong way. Maybe it's me that's wrong here. I'm just trying to help you understand that everyone can't just ask "how high" when you say "jump."

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:08 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Gary, I don't think you're far off.

I've got a request for information out there right now and I got the initial response of "we're looking" over a week after I sent the e-mail. What does that mean to me? They're busy working on a certain person's aircraft that I know is in their facility and I have no problem with them concentrating on that and the other aircraft that are "fast turn" customers than getting back to me on what is a very low priority item.

I'm looking at starting flying again in a couple of weeks. Both of the schools I'm looking at took several days to get back to me. Why? Because they're busy (somewhat amazingly). They got back to me as quickly as they could, but when all of the staff is flying and the 1 office person at both locations is always on the phone and answering tons of other e-mails, I can understand how it takes time to get back to everyone.

One and two-man shops I can only imagine how much harder it is to respond to e-mails and phone calls and still get all of the work done since you've not only got to do the work but the office work. I'll bet if it's not urgent, they'll put it off until they get time to answer it. You can't blame them for wanting to ensure the business succeeds before they worry about answering any questions from someone who is not a current customer or has a problem right then that needs to be addressed.

Post subject: caution
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:37 pm 
Probationary Member

I would be extremely cautious in dealing with a place that exist in email space. There are four high quality shops that I have dealt with, and if you phone Ray or Nelson, or Mike or Ken, you either get someone to answer your call or at least return a message on the answering machine the next day. They are not all engine shops per se, but Firewall Forward is and they answer also.

One clue might be, if you ever get in touch with them, are they asking for any payment in advance of work being done? Another is how do you deliver an engine, ship it or do they pick it up? Maybe I am too suspicious, but the engine shops I have seen are proud of their work and not hiding their location.

If this really is a "one man shop" and he is too busy to return calls, then who is ordering parts, taking in payment, and paying the bills while the maestro is doing the ceiling? What are you going to do if he has your engine in his shop, if there is one, and the landlord or IRS seizes the shop or shuts it down for unpaid rent or taxes? Even if you get it overhauled, what if you have a question or problem or warranty item down the road and you can't reach him? Guys like Jack Roush, Mike Nixon, Jack Hovey really exist, and aren't just an ad.

For ever guy who is an eccentric genius, there are probably 2 who don't run as a business should even if they do know engines, and there are some who are just not on the level. If it doesn't seem right, buyer beware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:56 pm 

I have to agree with Gary on this one. It is extremely hard to keep up with all aspects of running this kind of business and answer all the questions through email and phone that come in. I try to do the best I can, but I am sure I am not always successful.

In addition, bad experiences with certain parties can lead you to be even more cautious. Very recently, I had a situation with one individual who frequents WIX (in fact, was banned and is back under a new handle) PMd me asking me to find him some parts in my inventory. I explained to him that I am not really in the parts business, that Lance did a good job of that, and to be quite honest, I didn't have time to dig through my 7000 square foot warehouse of uninventoried T-6 parts to find the $100 item he wanted. His best bet to find it quickly was to call Lance, who could ship it to him the same day. I told him that as I located parts that were surplus to my needs I would put them on Ebay as we were set up to do that quickly. His return email essentially accused me of not wanting to help my neighbor and he had never experienced this in aviation. He acted like I owed it to him to go spend my valuable time so he could save a few bucks by not having to buy it from Lance. I have a guy engaged part time inventoring my parts, but you can bet when its done, that I won't likely be willing to sell to this guy. It isn't worth the hassle that I know is going to occur.

There are a couple of other guys on WIX that I have sold T-6 parts to, who understand that when I find it I will let them know, and I will do anything I can to help them. I am motivated to spend what little free time I have to help them out.

Unfortunately, a lot of guys in the restoration business I have talked to have the same stories. There are certain people who have just worn out their welcome and they avoid them. Sad but true.

As for Bill Mojo and Cascade, the subject of the original post, I have heard nothing but good things about them, for what that is worth.

Last edited by Tim Savage on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:49 pm 

Thanks Bill,

Yeah but since there is no address, we have no idea if this site is the correct people or not. I've heard of such sites by kids just to rip ya off.
Gota admit it would be a good way to get some engines, that is if your that kinda person. This whole post is not about if someone is good at doing the overhaul job or not. The question was is the place for real.
"As for Bill Mojo and Cascade, the subject of the original post, I have heard nothing but good things about them, for what that is worth."
How would you ever contact him to do the work?
I would at least have my wife or someone answer the phone if I couldn't or the email. Can't send a snail mail letter there aint no place to send it.

Tim, ebay. That is no good deal. I just got ripped off there nicely, my fault though.
So where is cascade place?
If you ask where is Garys favorite place, here ya go.
Yeah right from their web site
http://www.precisionengines.com/pages/contactus.html