Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:19 pm 

TriangleP wrote:
Ryan, this question is coming out of left field a bit, but I'm interested in the tensile structure being used to house your Lancaster. I know its as cold as a witch's you-know-what in there, but for keeping her covered its better than nothing.
Could you find out if there were any building code requirements that needed to be met to get it erected, or direct me to someone on the team that knows? I know you guys are above board, not poking into your business. I have a reason to ask but for another project, but could you PM me please? Thank you!

Sure thing, PM sent.

rorshinsky@ch2a.ca
http://www.ch2a.ca

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:29 pm 

Well it's back to normal around here now that Red Bull has headed off to their next race in New York.

Updates:
Bob Foster from Deca Aviation came down and inspected the center section giving us some great news that will save us a ton of money, work and time. The section won't have to be removed as we previously thought it would, everything can be repaired where it is now and can mostly be done by our crews. He also said to treat it only as a floor, the spars looked to be in fine shape. While he was here he also gave us an analysis of the rest of the aircraft and said he saw nothing that would ever prevent her from flying again once she is done.

Both wingtips are still progessing well, the port one should be completed by the end of the year.

The engine is also progessing well, not sure on a timeline yet but the firewall assembly will begin to be reassembled soon.

Paint stripping continues on the vertical and horizontal stabalizers.

On a side note, some cool history was made last weekend when Ed Russel's BF-109 was stored in our hanger which was a training squadron hanger during WW2. This was the first time an "enemy" aircraft had ever been inside the hanger.

rorshinsky@ch2a.ca

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:57 am 

It's great to read your updates Ryan, thanks for taking the time to put them up for us. I've been a follower of your project ever since the campaign was launched to bring her down off the plinth, and it's heartwarming to see what your small group have been able to accomplish since then. I'm especially glad to hear the spar damage isn't as bad as first feared, it's the kind if news you deserve after all your efforts!

I have to say my nose twitched when I read the part about there being nothing from preventing her from flying again- are you thinking of aiming towards a return to flight now??

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:58 am 

That's been the plan all along, everything that has been done and will be done is done to flight worthy condition. :) Now whether she actually leaves the ground when she's done is up to the City of Windsor becuase they still own her.

rorshinsky@ch2a.ca

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:18 pm 

Thanks Ryan,

I know the plan has always been to restore her to an airworthy standard, but I was wondering if you were alluding to some new agreement made with the Windsor authorities to let her fly?

Fingers well and truly crossed that she does one day see air under the wheels again!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:01 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Rhino-9-3 wrote:
That's been the plan all along, everything that has been done and will be done is done to flight worthy condition. :) Now whether she actually leaves the ground when she's done is up to the City of Windsor becuase they still own her.

I was glad to hear that Mr. Duncan gave the spars a clean bill of health. Although the torching leaves much to be desired at least y'all have something to start with.

I am really glad to know that you are going to do the repairs to airworthy standards. It takes a bit more time and funding to do it right, but in the end you will have a potentially flyable machine. Hopefully the future will see another Lancaster in her natural element! 8)

Thanks for the updates,
Scott

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:37 pm 

[quote="LysanderUK"]Thanks Ryan,

I know the plan has always been to restore her to an airworthy standard, but I was wondering if you were alluding to some new agreement made with the Windsor authorities to let her fly?
quote]

Nope, not that I know of anyway. Right now I don't believe it has even been brought up to the city.

I hope so too, it would be amazing to see 212 and 213 flying together someday!

Glad you guys are enjoying the updates! :)

rorshinsky@ch2a.ca

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:25 pm 

The Port wing tip is coming along nicely. In all 4 ribs , 2 stringers, and some stringer brackets had to be replaced due to corrosion. RM Classic Car Restorations donated their craftmanship and repaired the port formation light housing and fabricated a new one for the starboard side. We also have acquired formation lights from the U.K. In the upcoming month we will begin making patters for the new skins.

The C.R.E.W is also busy stripping paint on the bomb bay doors, vertical stabilizers, fuselage, etc. The #3 engine cowling parts have been repaired and the firewall and engine projects are progressing well. Keep an eye out for future updates!

One of the wingtip marker light housings (courtesy of RM Classic Car Restoration) along with the original which had welds removed and was disassembled to make the brand new housing:

Port wingtip pieces mostly reinstalled to ensure new pieces are properly aligned:

Roger priming some of the wingtip parts.

rorshinsky@ch2a.ca

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:29 pm 

A few more photos of the Port wingtip progress, which should be completed well before the end of the year. The crew is in the process of making new skins at the moment.

All other projects currently being worked on are also progressing well (engine #3, paint stipping rear section of fueslage, etc.). I'll hopefully have some updates in the coming weeks.

Also, be sure to come check out FM212 at the Windsor International Airshow this coming weekend!

Image (Just picture it without the tiles, they won't be there. :wink: )

rorshinsky@ch2a.ca

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:46 pm 

Paint stripping is coming along nicely, we've gotten a ton done in the last month.

This coming weekend we are having a big push to get as much stripping done as possible before the weather becomes to cold for it to work, the entire Lanc crew will be out there stripping.

Here's one of the #2 engine which is still on the plane, we opened it up today to check for corrosion and coat any corrosion with Corrosion X.

Not much else in the way of updates at the moment, the wingtip crew is still working on making new skins and hopes to have it completed by the end of the year.

rorshinsky@ch2a.ca

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:55 am 

Great work and progress! Thanks for the continued updates and especially the photos.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:13 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I agree, what great progress and excellent workmanship! Thanks for posting pictures to really get us all an inside look at a huge project.

I can't remember if it's been discussed, but will FM212 be restored to ground running? Or just static?

Peace,

David M

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:26 pm 

daveymac82c wrote:
I can't remember if it's been discussed, but will FM212 be restored to ground running? Or just static?

Peace,

David M

Everything is being done to airworthy standards so the plane will be certified to fly when it's done. Now whether it actually takes to the skies is going to be up to the city to decide because they still own it. If they don't allow it, we will still be able to taxi it.

rorshinsky@ch2a.ca

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:19 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Wow, that's great news! Imagine two Lancs in the sky together... and then when I find, buy, and restore my own Lanc, there'll be three in Canada!!!

Then we'll have to invite the BBMF Lancaster over for a good ol time.

Anyways, back to reality. I am very proud of you guys and they work you're doing on FM212. Terrific stuff!

Peace,

David

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:55 pm 

Thanks David! That sure would be an amazing sight!

Here's one of the paint stripping progress as of last Sunday. It's been to cold down here since then to do anymore stripping outside in the hut, although this week looks like it'll warm up enough to get back out there for a couple days at least.

Had some camera troubles this past weekend but I'll get some pictures on Tuesday of the work that we've started inside the hanger and the progress. The port wingtip is getting nearer to completion with only a couple ribs and skins left to be made, and then riveting can begin. A couple of us have also started work on the #3 engine cowlings (at the moment the "bath tub" piece, which sits under the engine). The #3 firewall is also being prepped to be put back together, a group will be starting on that in the coming weeks. As we move further into the colder weather there will be a few other projects starting up soon as well.

rorshinsky@ch2a.ca

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 22  Next