Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:23 pm 

Thanks for keeping us posted on this.

If you are going through he11 - keep going - Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:34 am 
Account Suspended

I absolutely love this aircraft. One of my TOP 3!!!!!

Superfort
Lanc
Fort
P-51
PBY
Mosquito
Heinkel
C-47
P-47
P-38

Thanks for sharing!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:13 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

So, ignore that other post of mine regarding FM212, for here is the proper thread.

Thank you Sully for pointing me in the right direction, and thank you Ryan for the brief update.

It's too bad you guys don't have a nice warm place to work on the old girl.

It's good to hear that the paint stripping is going ahead. Even though it isn't exciting work, it certainly is important. Work can't really go ahead too well until the layers of paint are properly removed.

I'm so excited for you guys. And to the same extent, I'm also really jealous. What a wonderful privilege it must be to have any kind of part in the restoration of such a brilliant and rare machine. The first and only time I've been to Toronto was when FM212 was still on it's stick. When I saw her I immediately thought "Darn, that airplane should be treated better" and I am so glad you guys are pushing ahead and will have her ground runnable. Once it's all fixed up the CBC could make a nice little tv-movie with TWO running Lancasters!

Well, good luck and happy sanding!

Peace,

David

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:28 pm 

Here's the update I posted in the other thread:
I had the same problem trying to find my thread about it. When I have some free time I'll dig it up and get it going again though.

As for updates there isn't to much. Basically most of us have just been paint stripping parts and making small repairs to them. Some of the guys are working on one of the engines, they hope to have it running by late Spring or early Summer. Work also continues on one of the wingtips which should also be done sometime in the Spring, then work can begin on the other one. During the winter there isn't to much we can do on the actual plane or the main wings because it's just to cold to be working out in the hut. Not sure if I posted this in the old thread but back in Novemeber we recieved 2 sets of props back from Hope Aero in Toronto restored and airworthy. The 3rd set will be going up in the Spring and the last set soon after that. Other than that there is just planning going on to decide what needs to be done once the weather gets warmer.

Yeah it's to bad we can't bring her in the hanger but we just don't have the room (not that it's much warmer in there :wink: ).

It sure is a great privelage. I never imagined that at 16 I'd be helping restore such an amazing piece of history.

That sure would be cool, hopefully when she's all done though the city will allow us to fly her (fingers crossed). It would be even more amazing to see FM213 and 212 in the air together. :)

Thanks!

daveymac82c wrote:
So, ignore that other post of mine regarding FM212, for here is the proper thread.

Thank you Sully for pointing me in the right direction, and thank you Ryan for the brief update.

It's too bad you guys don't have a nice warm place to work on the old girl.

It's good to hear that the paint stripping is going ahead. Even though it isn't exciting work, it certainly is important. Work can't really go ahead too well until the layers of paint are properly removed.

I'm so excited for you guys. And to the same extent, I'm also really jealous. What a wonderful privilege it must be to have any kind of part in the restoration of such a brilliant and rare machine. The first and only time I've been to Toronto was when FM212 was still on it's stick. When I saw her I immediately thought "Darn, that airplane should be treated better" and I am so glad you guys are pushing ahead and will have her ground runnable. Once it's all fixed up the CBC could make a nice little tv-movie with TWO running Lancasters!

Well, good luck and happy sanding!

Peace,

David

rorshinsky@ch2a.ca
http://www.ch2a.ca

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:08 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I'd say that flying her will certainly be an option, as long as everything checks out on her to do so, but from what I've heard the step of getting an airplane from ground running condition to airworthy is the biggest step in the undertaking.

I just can't wait 'til she's back to her prior glory.

Peace,

David

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:46 pm 

Last week the other wingtip was moved into the hanger. Some of the guys started drilling out the rivets and paint stipping that. The other guys are still working on the other one which should be done by the summer. The rest of us have been paint stripping pieces of the engine covers and cleaning up the firewalls and everything on them. Hopefully in another month or to we'll be able to get back outside and start working on the fueslage and wings again.

rorshinsky@ch2a.ca

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:26 pm 

Just a little update, we have a new website up now: http://www.ch2a.ca/lancaster/wordpress/
Along with our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/gro ... 975&ref=ts

Also we are currently looking for a Browning M3 .50 Caliber machine gun to complete the mid upper turret. If anyone has any leads on one please let me know.

Thanks,
Ryan

rorshinsky@ch2a.ca

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:34 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Ryan, which engine are you doing to run again?
I talked with MIke and the two header tank straps that we borrowed from the number three stbd inner engine are on their way to his place this week.

________

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:55 pm 

Another little update:
Quote:
Special thanks to Mark Affleck for bringing by some aircraft aluminum for us. The supplied aluminum will be used in the port and starboard wingtips. Some other damaged pieces were also delivered and will be used for training purposes with the volunteers.

Various firewall items were also finished this week, and are in the Northeast work room (Stearman Room) With the firewall project – special thought will need to be given to how to handle replacing the threaded hydraulic connectors. We will be getting the firewall frame structure analyzed soon, and it may possibly have to be sent to Toronto for proper analysis and certification.

We were given the final quote from Automotive Racing Products for the Merlin connecting rod bolts and nuts, total bill will be $8470.32 U.S. (if we go that route) We’re currently looking into getting a quote from a company on Dougall Avenue in Windsor, but need to find out (and tell them) what material to use first.

We will be pursuing a Trillium grant very soon, and hope that it is successful!

http://www.ch2a.ca/lancaster/wordpress/

rorshinsky@ch2a.ca

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:45 pm 

Apologies if this has been posted before, but within the past week speculation was ended as it appears that Lancaster NX611 'Just Jane' in the UK is to be made officially airworthy. The Liconshire Heritage website has photos of the first 2 airworthy merlins arriving.

Posted on FlyPast earlier this week:
Official Statement from The Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre-

It is fair to say that we have been considering making moves to fly Avro Lancaster NX611 for some years now; in fact it has been the ultimate ambition of Fred and Harold to complete their fabulous contribution to aviation history and the memory of Bomber Command.
In a recent interview with BBC Radio Lincolnshire Fred has confirmed what, I am sure, many people have been thinking for many years.
It has been our ultimate ambition to be able to restore NX611 to an airworthy condition but also keep her accessible for the general public to enjoy the sights, sounds, smells and atmosphere created by a Lancaster. For us to keep NX611 as a credible 'peoples memorial' to Bomber Command available to many people, no matter their background or financial situation (After all those that flew with Bomber Command came from every imaginable background) we must strike a healthy balance between keeping her in a good condition but also allowing the public to experience her.
As stated by Fred the end goal would be to be able to see NX611 take to the skies once more, but it will by no means be a short road to that end.
We are currently building up a large stores and parts stock ready for the possible 'push' for airworthiness.
The moves we are making- sourcing 4 airworthy engines, acquiring parts from all over the world, undertaking feasibility studies, sourcing AP's and the relevant paperwork - are all working towards enabling us to 'push the button' and let the Lanc feel air under her wheels once more.
There is no funding or involvement from Peter Jackson or the Dambusters film.
As with everything that has been done at the Centre and with the Lancaster the project will be self funded- but if anyone would like to feel that they have helped with keeping NX611 operational you are welcome to make donations.
If we get to the stage that NX611 is airworthy it will undoubtedly be called upon to perform in the air show circuit. There is also great interest and support from BBMF and RAF and I am sure that we will work closely together if NX611 ever goes skyward.

Airworthiness is the ambition and we have now confirmed that, but unfortunately there is much 'ground' work to be done before we make that jump. No move will be made until we are happy that we have built up enough parts and solved all the logistic issues.

Everyone’s support is greatly appreciated. Rest assured that we have the aircrafts best interests first and foremost in our minds. We have not striven for many years to sacrifice our achievements in one fail swoop. NX611 will always remain as a living memorial to Bomber Command; that is the most important duty we perform.

Andrew Panton
Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:54 pm 

CH2Tdriver wrote:
Apologies if this has been posted before, but within the past week speculation was ended as it appears that Lancaster NX611 'Just Jane' in the UK is to be made officially airworthy.

:supz: :D :partyman: RIGHT ON! I knew it was just a matter of time!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:48 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Yes, that really is great news. I applaud the effort and patiently await another airworthy Lancaster!

Scott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:24 pm 

Some pictures from yesterday:

Both of the wing tips now inside and being worked on.

Both the access panels (not sure what they actually are) on the leading edge of the were opened up.

The jacks are also being set up and put in place so we in lift the plane up soon to begin work on the landing gear.

rorshinsky@ch2a.ca

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:28 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Great pics Ryan! What undercarriage work is being done? Wheel swap or overhaul of the landing gear struts?

________

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:10 pm 

peter wrote:
Great pics Ryan! What undercarriage work is being done? Wheel swap or overhaul of the landing gear struts?

It is being lifted so the landing gear can fully extend and can be properly inspected for corrosion, also to get all of the weight off of the wheels for a while.

rorshinsky@ch2a.ca

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next