Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: website
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:54 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Rhino, thanks! I thought this site was better than the new one oh well...

Davy yes that is inside 212 she had 90% of her orioginal interior when restoration began. I was amongst the few that wanter her restored as a postwar lanc MKXP as she was the prototype MKXP config lanc and had all her bits still inside. They have decided on a wartime restoration which will be much more involved both from the work involved and also parts acquisition such as complete set of turrets etc.

________

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:02 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Hey Peter,

well, at least it's getting doing. I would love to see the post-war paint job on her too, it's very unique and would go along the same vain as Bob Jens' Mosquito supposedly being done up in Spartan livery.

I am only guessing that it'll be done in WWII camo because it is more recognisable to the general public, and because it would embody the heroic work the young men did flying them during WWII. Then again, it's taking away the opportunity to show a very little known story, of which the entire world might be interested in. The fact that an and old WWII bomber could still find life in the cold war/jet age. And it would show the way most Lancasters ended up surviving the scrap heap...

Anyways, as someone noted, the project is to take 10 years or so.... and opinions can change, and paint scheme ideas may do the same. How about painting it light the Red Baron? (j/k)

Cheers,

David

P.S. Did I mention I'm excited about this project?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:07 pm 

I'll be going to the CH2A again this Saturday to get some pictures and to talk with Michael about working on the website. If he lets me do it I'll probably be putting monthly updates on it about the restoration. I'll keep you guys updated too.

I also found out that the Mosquito will not be airworthy, it is only being made for static display.

rorshinsky@ch2a.ca
http://www.ch2a.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:06 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Ryan, The mosquito fuselage was not done to airworthy specifications and was the first new build pattern fuselage. I would think they might be possible to ground run it when finished.

________

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:21 pm 

I went over to the CH2A today and got some pictures of the engines, and inside the plane (some of them didn't turn out to great because it was kind of dark in there). If I go back next week I'll have a more accurate update with more pictures.

They figure the project is going cost about $6 million to complete. I also found out that the center section of the plane where the stand was conected to is going to cost $1 million to repair.

rorshinsky@ch2a.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:32 pm 

Ryan,

Many Thanks for the pictures...especially the last one of the cockpit.
:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:40 pm 

A great shame that she won't be configured for the post-war maritime role. :( The sums quoted are quite astonishing for something that will possibly (even probably) be just a static exhibit. The city will have to give their approval as owners for her to fly and I dread to think what the insurance charges will be in that event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:00 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Great pics, pretty much looks the same as I last saw it on the post. I noticed the Nav table has been removed. It was in sad condition from years of being in the humidity and sunlight. As a side note the tow giages on the right hand side of the BF panel came from a crash site.

________

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:14 pm 

Thanks Peter. Yeah not to much has been done inside the plane yet other than the removal of a few things (like the nav table). The mid section where the stand was, is in really bad condition.

They're mainly working on the engines, paint stripping, and the wing tips right now. (the one engine in the pictures still turns over)

I'll probably go back next week to get more pictures and information since I couldn't stick around for very long. I'll be putting updates on the website soon too.

rorshinsky@ch2a.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:32 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Thanks for the update and great photos, Ryan. We appreciate you keeping us posted!

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:07 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The figure of 6 million surely must be to fly as a static restoration with volunteers shouldnt cost that much. Granted the centre section repair is going to be horrendously expensive both monetary and in work hours. Look at the time and money involved in doing a similiar repair to Fm104.

When the Lanc was on the post, all the engines were free as they were oiled and turned over by hand several times over the years.

________

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:50 am 

Here are a few more pictures...

rorshinsky@ch2a.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:10 am 

Would it be fair to say that she is better condition than FM104 that is now under restoration at Toronto Aerospace Musuem? I am guessing that Windsor's lancaster rec'd quite abit of attention over the years even while on external display...

Andrew

Thanks for sharing those interior shots...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:22 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Quote:
Would it be fair to say that she is better condition than FM104 that is now under restoration at Toronto Aerospace Musuem? I am guessing that Windsor's lancaster rec'd quite abit of attention over the years even while on external display...

I would say yes without a doubt. The Toronto Lanc was subjected to abuse & years of neglect / vandalism. It was basically a fully gutted frame when it came down from the post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:28 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

BTW Peter.

I'm sure you will know this.

Many years ago, there was a fantastic page on suirviving Canadian Lancs.

Each airframe hadf a dedicated page with info & pics on it.

For the life of me, I cannot find the link anymore or even know if the pages are still online.

It was not the page(s) the Nanton site had, but entire different WEB page(s)

Tks Michel

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next