Switch to full style
A place where restoration project-type threads can go to avoid falling off the main page in the WIX hangar. Feel free to start threads on Restoration projects and/or warbird maintenance here. Named in memoriam for Gary Austin, a good friend of the site and known as RetroAviation here. He will be sorely missed.
Post a reply

Drain Holes For Fabric Covering

Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:40 am

Hello Folks:

Anyone know how to put drain hole fasteners in on fabric covered surfaces? Anyone have nomenclature for this?

Thanks,

Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:33 am

Its called a grommet, and they are usually doped on to the clear coats under the pigmented coats.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:35 am

Glue the grommets in like DZ says. There are two types, plain round, and sea plane grommets that have a reverse scoop on them. After you complete the flying surface you burn through the fabric (If man made) with a soldering iron.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:33 pm

Hello Folks:

That's good to know, but what's used when you want to go through 1 layer of fabric and 1 layer of sheet metal? Thanks a lot.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:41 pm

A2C wrote:Hello Folks:

That's good to know, but what's used when you want to go through 1 layer of fabric and 1 layer of sheet metal? Thanks a lot.

Drill bit, just go slow through the fabric where the gromet is.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:30 pm

Hi Jeff:

No, that's not it. It's looks like a rivnut that fastens the farbic to the metal. I was just wondering it there is something else used that looks a little like a rivnut.

Thanks

Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:49 pm

This is on a T-6? Do you have a photo of the area?

Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:34 pm

Move the grommet away from the metal (or just glue another on)

Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:54 pm

Can't be done. Basicly it's similar to a rivnut.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:48 pm

On a T-6? Doesn't sound familar, like BDK says send photo and prove us wrong.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:05 am

Sorry too lazy to take a picture..I don't want to prove anything, just needed an answer to that. I think I'll call my hardware supplier, and see if he knows.

Thanks!

Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:43 am

For the Acceptable Method, consult the AC 43.13-1B; Section 2-14 "Inspection Rings and Drain Grommets". Found on Pages 2-22 and 2-23.

If you don't have the text, it can be downloaded from the FAA website for free. If downloading just the chapter needed, it would be "Chapter Two- Fabric Covering."

Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:48 pm

Also, if you are using Poly Fiber, you can use poly tack to put the grommet up and a small soldering iron to burn a hole through the fabric. If the fabric is on sheet metal, you may not even need a grommet. consult the poly-fiber book.

Drain Hole isn Fabric

Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:25 pm

Suggest you not use grommets. Just use soldering iron to make hole. Over time, the grommets come unstuck. Grommet are a carry over from the cotton days.

Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:01 pm

I hate to say it, but all the responses miss the mark. The fabric is over metal. The metal is enclosed, and so the drain hole is similar to a rivnut and goes through the fabric and metal. All I was asking is if anyone knows excactly the type of fastener/drain reinforcement used.
Post a reply