Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:24 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I knew a guy who ran a FBO who claimed he always ran his 1997 Chevy pickup on a mix of unleaded and 100LL. He also said he ran the airport mowers and tractors on 100LL - at the time it was a matter of negligible cost and much convenience.

So the question is - are there any hazards or precautions for running 100LL or even 97 Super in a small engine like a lawn mower? How about mixing or even 100% in a modern automobile?

There are times when the mower cans are empty and there's a 5 gallon can of 100LL handy ... just curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:33 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

We talked about this a while back on a different thread. I used to run my aircooled Volkswagens on fuel we sumped from the gas trucks every day. It seemed to work pretty well in those engines, but lead buildup is a problem with water cooled stuff. Also, if you don't run the engine for long enough to build up some good heat in the combustion chambers it will run like most FBO gas trucks--not too well. Fouling plugs is pretty much guaranteed in such cases. I doubt it would hurt your mower if used in moderation. I wouldn't recommend it if you have any two-strokes, though.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:44 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

My father runs 100LL in his 1971 Boss 351 Mustang. The motor was designed to run on high octane leaded gas when it was new, and it prefers it to modern 93.

We often toss the "left over" 100LL after gassing up the Mustang into the Toro mower and never had any trouble.

I have never heard any thing good about running leaded gas in modern cars. From what I have heard it will ruin the catalytic converter, o2 sensors, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:49 pm 

My own personal experience is as follows: Needed to make a trip from Macon, GA to Savannah, GA in my Chevy Blazer. Figured I'd top off from our 100LL pump before we left (half a tank). By the time we got to Savannah, the truck would barely get to 55mph with the accelerator floored!!! I was worried that I had ruined the truck.

For the trip back, I used standard auto unleaded. Within an hour, the vehicle was running close to normal. Never did THAT again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:02 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I ran several hundred gallons of sumped 100LL thru my Goldwing with no problem

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:11 am 

I ran 100 octane all the time in a '66 T-bird convertable with a 428, and it ran like a scalded a$$ ape.

I wouldn't run it thru any vehicle that you have to comply with clean air rules though. As mentioned above, they are designed to run on non leaded fuel and several component items will be damaged and you will most likely void any warranties that are in effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:13 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The lead ruins the catalitic converter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Both my 1969 Charger and the 1966 Mustang run on 100LL. Never had a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:59 pm 

When I worked line service it never failed that some time Saturday mornings a few local dirt track racers would show up trying to get AvGas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:22 pm 

I put 100LL in my 94 Camaro, it destroyed the o2 sensors and the catalytic converter. DON"T DO IT!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:25 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I run my Kaw ZRX1100 on it on occassion.... I get people telling me I'm "running the bike too lean" because they don't realise what the lead does to the pipe..

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:04 pm 

At the air shows I run 100ll in the clark tug. The spec's say use 60 octane or better. With the 100 the smell makes me think I have a Rolls v12 under the hood instead of a chry.6. I have had no problems and I don't have to add lead substitute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:29 pm 
If I was going to use 100LL in a small engine like a lawn mower or tractor I'd add a little Marvel Mystery oil to it. 1 oz per 2.5 gallons is the generally recommended ratio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:32 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Really depends on the system involved. Old school carb systems with out sensors, should be no problem. Remember Sunoco 260? Used to cost me $0.50 a gallon in '71.

Now, with all the electronic sensors and systems, if there are any measurements out of parameter, whoops!

So, IMHO ols cars, bikes etc., I'd do it. New systems, think twice.

Next I'll explain how to run your '66 Ford 390 on methanol when you run out of gas 80 miles from Phoenix. :shock: In those days, double the jet size in your carb (yes I said carb) dump & run. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:52 am 

I had a Datsun 240 Z for 29 1/2 years. I bought it in 1978. About a year later I started using 100, 130, and sometimes 115-145 fuel that we would bring back from airshows in the drop tanks of Lloyd Hamilton's Sea Fury. I would run half av-gas, half auto fuel. I would check the spark plugs now and then as they would load up with these white deposits. A few years later I continued to run the green 130 fuel and 115-145 without mixing in the auto fuel. At some point the Z's engine started to run funky. I did a compression test. 3 cylinders weren't showing any compression. I pulled the head and found holes in the tops of the sides of those pistons. After pulling the engine apart I found the rings on those pistons had frozen, the rings broke and then worked their way up the side of the piston. About 500 miles later after that minor rebuild I would run 100 and auto fuel together. I started saving up parts for another engine that had a milder than stock cam, higher compression pistons. I had the rods and pistons balanced. 500 miles or so after doing this major rebuild I started using 100LL and auto fuel. I didn't drive with my foot in it all the time as years previous. Nine years later the block cracked between the # 4 & 5 water jackets. I assumed it was from extensive heat of running all this av-gas through the engine. The block also had been bored out at engine rebuild. Rather than getting another block and switching over all the parts I ended
up smearing JB Weld to the outside of the block in the crack and added Bar's Stop Leak to the radiator. This lasted at least 5 years until I sold the car.When I found out that cars 1973 and older did not have to be smogged in California I removed all the smog equipment. It never had a catalytic converter installed. That's what burns up if you use av-gas in a vehicle that has one installed. I had also run the 100LL in my Honda Hurricane now and then. The bike seemed to love it.
Jim
Jim